Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Persecution in Iraq (Read Mod Warning in Post 13)

• 14-12-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭

Just received this report by email from Andrew White, Anglican Canon in Baghdad.
    It is difficult to describe the pain of the past six weeks. It all started on the last day of October when Al Qaeda stormed the Syrian Catholic Church here in Baghdad. 59 were killed, including the two priests taking the service and over 75 injured.
    There are two stories that really stand out and both involve children.

Adam

The first account is about Adam. He was only three. On that tragic day, three-year-old Adam witnessed the horror of dozens of deaths, including that of his own parents. He wandered among the corpses and the blood, following the terrorists around and admonishing them, 'enough, enough, enough, stop it.' He was then killed himself. The other story was of young Yusif. He was seen running out of the Church simply shouting in tears "They have killed my daddy, they have killed my daddy". It was
    not long before I got to the church. Covered in blood and surrounded by bullet holes the pain was obvious but this was just the beginning.
    Within hours the terrorists were warning all people to leave, stating that Christians were not part of Iraq and those who did not go would be killed. In the following days Christians did begin to be killed their houses ransacked and their neighbourhoods bombed.

Some of our own people were killed at the church and immediately other members of our community were attacked. Our chief of security was blown up and lost his legs.

Our closest government minister who we work with all the time is the only Christian minister, Wijdan Salim. Her driver was killed then her head of security, then her chief of staff and following week her his deputy. We were told by the government that our security would be increased. All our military guards are Christian and they have started to leave and will be difficult to replace. The Muslim guards who have been asked by the government to come here have refused, saying it is too dangerous.

Emigration Issues

There has been one other thing that has seriously affected us. That is the number of people now fleeing Iraq. Today was a terrible day for me as young Fulla (16) is leaving because of the danger, with her family she is going to the USA. She has always called me "daddy". I have been with her since she was 8. The reality is to me she is like a daughter. David and Lina, my other two Iraqi children, have also been in non-stop tears. They say "we are one family we have asked G-d why we are being split up and he has not answered!" I tell them that we are indeed one family and always will be. Despite the pain and the trauma of the present we know our Lord is always with us and that He and his angels will never
    leave us.

Finances

Our funds have all been stretched to the limit. The money has all been spent on things connected to the increased persecution. Funerals, health care, provision for families of those killed and injured. Just before this event I won the International Civil Courage Prize. I personally get no salary and live my faith. When I got this prize I thought at least I would not have to worry about money this year but in two weeks this tragedy happened. Within days all the prize money had gone on emergency
    relief. I so gave thanks to the Almighty that I was able to help.

Please will you help to continue to show the love of Jesus to your persecuted brothers and sisters in their great need.

Be blessed,

The Rev'd Canon Andrew White

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

This is truly awful. Was just talking about this the other day with a friend of mine who is from the east.

Strange as it may sound, I was told Iraq was better off with saddam in power because he respected Christianity and did not tolerate violence towards them.

At the moment there is no government in Iraq.

I will pray for all Christians in Iraq and will continue to do so.

Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on them,

Immaculate Heart of Mary intercede for them and watch over all your children,

Amen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

From CatholicCulture.org:

The Iraqi government is building concrete walls around churches in Baghdad and Mosul to provide security for worshippers. While the walls and other security measures-- including police presence at church entry points-- make “you feel you are entering a military camp,” Church leaders are grateful for the increased protection, said Chaldean Catholic Archbishop Bashar Warda of Arbil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

From CatholicCulture.org:

The Iraqi government is building concrete walls around churches in Baghdad and Mosul to provide security for worshippers. While the walls and other security measures-- including police presence at church entry points-- make “you feel you are entering a military camp,” Church leaders are grateful for the increased protection, said Chaldean Catholic Archbishop Bashar Warda of Arbil.

Yeah but their second port of call should be getting out there to put those attackers behind bars and change the laws of Iraq and so on. But you will never hear it happening. All you will ever hear is ''oh we will increase the protection and make the walls a bit thicker with extra barbed wire around it. ''

If they went out and caught the culprits such actions would not even be needed. our muslim friends are able walk free into their mosque without problems and no military camp style procedures. I am sure many muslims agree with me on that one. It is a horrible sight for both Christians and muslims (who condemn such actions) to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Onesimus wrote: »
    Yeah but their second port of call should be getting out there to put those attackers behind bars and change the laws of Iraq and so on. But you will never hear it happening. All you will ever hear is ''oh we will increase the protection and make the walls a bit thicker with extra barbed wire around it. ''

If they went out and caught the culprits such actions would not even be needed. our muslim friends are able walk free into their mosque without problems and no military camp style procedures. I am sure many muslims agree with me on that one. It is a horrible sight for both Christians and muslims (who condemn such actions) to see.

...emmm, no. There's high security around Shia mosques as well, in Iraq and Pakistan in particular. Walkthrough scanners on the doors of a few, afaik. These people follow a minority sect within the Sunni Wahabi tradition and regard nearly all others as heretics, infidels etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Onesimus wrote: »

How do you propose the government go about arresting Al Qaeda members without another blood bath occurring? That's if they can even be found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

If only righteous christian missionaries never attempted to proselytise Iraqis all those years ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

If only righteous christian missionaries never attempted to proselytise Iraqis all those years ago....

Epic troll fail. There have been Christians in Iraq for nearly 2000 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yeah, it's all the Christians fault. I mean, it's not like you could actually talk about the victims. Far too much axe-grinding to be doing.

Utter nonsense.

PDN wrote: »
    Epic troll fail. There have been Christians in Iraq for nearly 2000 years.

So the arrival of christianity into Iraq was due to migration?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Utter nonsense.

Perhaps, christianity was most probably brought by force.

So the arrival of christianity into Iraq was due to migration?

When the Holy Spirit was poured out on the Day of Pentecost, there were Jews from all over the ancient world who believed on Christ as a result of His Resurrection and then returned to their own countries.

Btw, this is the one and only inthread warning for any trolls. The mods of this forum will take a very dim view of anyone who thinks the subject matter (including the murder of children) is an excuse for muppetry or 'being smart'. This is not open to debate, or backseat modding. Any nonsense and you will be infracted.

My post got edited because I chose to ignore the inthread warning about trolling.

So the arrival of christianity into Iraq was due to migration? .
    Perhaps, christianity was most probably brought by force.

"most probably"? Here we have a thread about people being killed en masse where you have to come in and make some childish dig and you don't even know what you're on about....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Typical muslim terrorists, they attack the weakest, and in a church.

Killing a 3 yo child, how very brave of them.

These terrorists don't want to negotiate or find peace, they just want to rule the world by way of violence.

God bless and protect all Christians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

old_aussie wrote: »
    Typical muslim terrorists, they attack the weakest, and in a church.

In fairness, a murdering terrorist is a murdering terrorist. If these guys weren't doing it mistakenly in the name of Allah then they would probably be killing for money.

I have had to waste my time deleting off topic posts and trolls

Last warning. This thread is for the purpose of expressing sympathy with those who are being attacked in the Middle East. It is not a thread to spread generalised attacks against religion.

Leif Erikson, infractions obviously don't work with you. One more hint of trolling and you will be banned.

Advertisement