Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle Tower in Ardlui in Blackrock

Options
  • 14-12-2010 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

Hey does anyone know what that medieval looking tower is in the back garden of a house in Ardlui off Newtownpark Ave in Blackrock?? You can see it from a couple of spots in the area and I've always wondered what it is??

I've looked in all the local history books but can't seem to find a reference to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

[URL=http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Dublin,+County+Fingal,+Ireland&ll=53.282191,-6.184235&spn=0.000747,0.002642&t=h&z=19[/URL]This[/URL] it?

Doesn't look more than a few hundred years old to be honest. A friend of mine lives in Ardlui and I've never heard them even mention it.

I wonder is there more of the structure hidden by those trees...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Yep that's it alright. Yeah maybe medieval is a tad optimistic but even something a few hundred years old would be quite historical in a suburban housing estate:pac:. I'm really curious as to what it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'll ask around when I'm home at the weekend. Someone's bound to have some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 arachne

The tower was a folly in the garden of a house called Ardlui, it was a 19th century house demolished in the 1950s to make way for Ardlui Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

arachne wrote: »
    The tower was a folly in the garden of a house called Ardlui, it was a 19th century house demolished in the 1950s to make way for Ardlui Park.

Oh, thought it would have been slightly older than that!
    Thanks a lot

• Advertisement

Here is a picture of the house for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1 socal15

The house in the photo was my great grandfather's estate. His name was George Douglas Mitchell. He was known as "The Governor". His son, my grandfather, eventually moved to California and settled in Hollywood around 1916. It was great to see this photo. I only wish I could read the text better.

socal15, it says "this handsome freehold residence, standing on about 8 acres is for Sale with possession. The house and grounds are in perfect order. Lovely views of mountains and sea. Picturesque gate lodge [this survives]. ...[illegible] ... garden with round tower [also survives].
    The residence is [illegible] and contains lounge hall with conservatory, three reception rooms and [illegible] large bedrooms all with hot and cold water, three servants' rooms. Electric light. [illegible] offices, two garages. Everything up-to-date.
    One of the most attractive residences in County Dublin'.

A friend of mine was given ornate gesso plaques from the interior by a local historian called Daniel Gillman and they are now part of his collection in Co. Wexford.

Advertisement