Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Road Conditions-16th- Onwards.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Sweet Jesus, it's just after taking me eight hours to get from Dublin to Wexford--usually a two hour journey with Wexford Bus. Once we got out of Dublin, I'd say it took the guts of two hours, so about six hours to get out of Dublin (from Merrion St).

At one point on the N11, it didn't look like we were going any further. Cars were getting stuck all over the place but there were people giving them a push. Of course with a bus the pushing wasn't doing much good. A few times we tried to move forward but just rotated in position, and ended up draped across the road at almost a 45 degree angle. The driver had to slowly reverse so that we basically slid into a more favourable position, then very slowly took off. Fair play to him for getting us out of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Temps reached -12.5 on M7 good few cars on road at moment with Trucks overtaking in right labe with everyone in left lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Hmmm road conditions....stay away from Dublin lol 20 minute journeys take over 5 hours now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Esroh wrote: »
    They now have enough salt to keep the National Primary/Motorway network only open.
    And at that they are only doing the left lane of the 2 on some of the motorways.
    At the moment in the west there is not enough salt to do the N17 which is supposed to be the western corridor

Source? Ive heard rumours too but don't want to believe them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Roads are driveable snowwise but icy in these areas on my route this morning: Pearse st, Seville Place, NCR, Dorset st, Finglas Rd, Ratoath rd, Ballycoolin rd. They are heavily gritted so traffic is crawing if that info helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I'm currently on a Citylink bus to Dublin from Galway. At Aughrim now. Road looks reasonably ok and bus driver seems to know what he is doing. Will let ye know if we get into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

snowing heavy just outside Wicklow town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Fosters avenue from Goatstown to the dual carraigeway impassable. Guards turning traffic around.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Guys, cant even get out of my estate - but if I do eventually, has anyone travelled Rathfarnham to Cabinteely this morning?

the reverse journey to me 3 1/2 hours last evening (normally 25 mins)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Galway City and points west got a dump of snow last night, there is no salt to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

What would it be like at Rosslare? BIL and SIL going home on ferry tonight, driving up to Athlone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bad to the north ( N11_ and better to the west (N25 followed ny M9 motorway to Dublin)

Watch

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

and AARoadwatch.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Traffic going into Donabate via the bridge are finding it very hard to make it up the hill at the moment.
    The hill past the petrol station is very slippey!!
    So plenty of chaos again, repeat of yesterday evening.
    Snow bucketing down!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Would like to congratulate the moron that put on his hazards and decided to drive the wrong way down the overtaking lane at Ferrycarrig in Wexford-he met a truck and only one winner there.Nobody hurt but blocked the entire N11 south and northbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hoping to drive Dublin city centre to Kildare at some stage during the week, using the N4, Maynooth exit and then towards Clane etc. Anyone any idea how these roads are? Would I be best leaving sooner rather than later?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Novella wrote: »
    Hoping to drive Dublin city centre to Kildare at some stage during the week, using the N4, Maynooth exit and then towards Clane etc. Anyone any idea how these roads are? Would I be best leaving sooner rather than later?

According to the AA things are not good in Dublin. Can you use public transport?
    1406 AA Roadwatch reports that conditions in Dublin are deteriorating. A truck is broken down outbound in the left lane on Long Mile Road. See www.aaroadwatch.ie for more.

If you are going for the city centre why not stay on the m4/n4? Stick to the major roads where at all possible. Countries down to the last on salt so the only roads that're likely to be treated are the motorways coming into dub e.g. m1, m4 etc and the m50

According to the AA things are not good in Dublin. Can you use public transport?

I could, but I'm heading home for Christmas so I have a lot of stuff to bring with me - presents etc. As a last resort, I could get a bus.
    If you are going for the city centre why not stay on the m4/n4? Stick to the major roads where at all possible. Countries down to the last on salt so the only roads that're likely to be treated are the motorways coming into dub e.g. m1, m4 etc and the m50

I meant I'm leaving the city centre to go to Kildare! I will be using the N4, M4 but I need to take the Maynooth exit on the M4 to get home and last year, after I took that exit, the roads were a nightmare. Just a bit worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

where are you going from the maynooth exit?? Im in leixlip and so far roads are passable today, not great mind you but people are getting around with care.

On another note, id say we can assume no nightlinks again tonight, meant to be meeting friends for xmas drinks in town, may have to get the last train.....once they dont stop!!

• Advertisement

df1985 wrote: »
    where are you going from the maynooth exit?? Im in leixlip and so far roads are passable today, not great mind you but people are getting around with care.

On another note, id say we can assume no nightlinks again tonight, meant to be meeting friends for xmas drinks in town, may have to get the last train.....once they dont stop!!

I'm heading out the Allenwood direction, kind of into the middle of nowhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Novella wrote: »

I drove from Celbridge to Maynooth and back along the back roads around lunch time and they were not good.

However, these were back roads and not main roads. From talking to my son's teacher, the N4 was pretty bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Does anyone know how the M7 is in general?

Thinking of driving from Dublin to Limerick tomorrow lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

I don't know how the M7 is, but at least the motorway will be fully opened tomorrow morning, so it should be a safe enough trip for you.

Novella double your journey time plus some, put a shovel/sweeping brush in the car as well as somekind of food and if you have it salt/grit in case you get stuck. Take your time and be patient and you should be fairly ok. The back roads aren't great though

Thanks for all the advice, guys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Any update on the M1, I have to drive from Dundalk to santry at 23:00?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Does anyone know how the roads authority decides when to treat the main roads. Do they wait for the snow to stop and then go out or do they go out at specific times :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭finnigan

just home, in celbridge, after leaving harolds cross at 3.30pm today.
    hit the mad cow roundabout with perfect timing, just as the 40ft lorries blocked it.

just want to say a big thanks to the gardai who walked down along the stopped traffic outside the red cow and told us and a lot more people that nobody can get up the slope, then walked away!!!!!

the truck drivers then took control and started trying to get more of their own up the very same slope that 2 were already stuck on!

DAFT GITS

sorry peeps, rant over

N7 from newlands cross to rathcoole slip road was ok

newcastle to N4 was snow covered but passable,

N4 to celbridge was same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mac80 wrote: »
    Any update on the M1, I have to drive from Dundalk to santry at 23:00?

judging by the radar it's got a good few cms in 2 hrs, from drogheda onwards. Snow in S drog is very heavy according to a relative.

Advertisement