Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Road Conditions-16th- Onwards.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Spare a thought for my in laws. Driving from Bristol to Fishguard (thought it was Rosslare they were going from) and getting the ferry at 2.45 am. Driving up to Athlone. I told them to drive west towards Waterford and up the motorway but have a feeling they wont do it as they ALWAYS take the same route, ie Wexford, Enniscorthy, Carlow, Portlaoise. MIL & FIL decided to go with BIL at the last minute, and FIL is disabled so its a bit worrying that they are heading towards snow in Pembrokeshire AND Wexford/Carlow!

Plus, they will be driving back on their own on the 30th. Fingers crossed all will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

What's it like in Waterford city today? I have to drive from Kilkenny to Waterford, later this morning, using the motorway today. I'm a real wuss when it comes to driving in icy snowy conditions although I'd imagine the worst part of the drive will be getting down the hill out of the estate here to do the school run. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

More snow overnight. Has anyone driven Aughrim, Rathdrum, Glenealy, Rathnew, N11 this morning? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Have to drive Limerick to Gorey tomorrow morning (23rd) Trying to figure out the best route with present road conditions.

Would usually travel M7 to the M50. M50 to the M11 and down.
    But this route sounds like the worst hit in the country!

Was considering the M7 to Carlow/Stradbally turn-off and taking the N80 through Stradbally/Carlow to Buncloudy and onto the N11. Just not sure about the hills round Stradbally.

Otherwise considering the N24 Tipperary road down through Waterford.

Any ideas on what these roads are like or which maybe best?

Cheers
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

More snow overnight. Has anyone driven Aughrim, Rathdrum, Glenealy, Rathnew, N11 this morning? Thanks.

A mate of mine got the bus instead of driving. Said road was bad but passable. Other roads around Bray bad. That was at 7.00am this morning so maybe improvements by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Any updates on Dundrum? Left my RWD car there on Monday evening. Thinking of picking it up this afternoon and driving home to Lucan. M50 slip road ok now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭lubo_moravcik

I'm going from Enfield on the M4 to Drogheda later this evening. Usually go the Slane route, is there any word on how the roads are are/expected to be? would i be better heading in and going the M50 just to be sure?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

kiwipower wrote: »
    Have to drive Limerick to Gorey tomorrow morning (23rd) Trying to figure out the best route with present road conditions.

Would usually travel M7 to the M50. M50 to the M11 and down.
    But this route sounds like the worst hit in the country!

Was considering the M7 to Carlow/Stradbally turn-off and taking the N80 through Stradbally/Carlow to Buncloudy and onto the N11. Just not sure about the hills round Stradbally.

Cheers

Well I've been driving between Wexford Town & Waterford all week and road was fine if you take it handy. Last time was last night when I came back from Waterford and there's no snow there. Roads around Wexford are treated. Not sure what it's like beyond Waterford towards Tipperary though, maybe someone else can help with that leg?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks, have to drive to sligo from swords tomorrow. What's the M50, M4 and N4 like? Cheers mick

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

From Limerick to Waterford through Tipp Town/Cahir/Clonmel is grand. The roads are dry and treated too. There is heavy freezing fog in Tipp Town area right now but should be ok.

• Advertisement

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Well I've been driving between Wexford Town & Waterford all week and road was fine if you take it handy. Last time was last night when I came back from Waterford and there's no snow there. Roads around Wexford are treated. Not sure what it's like beyond Waterford towards Tipperary though, maybe someone else can help with that leg?

Hi Poochie05,
    Thanks for the info.
    It great to get the opinion of someone on the ground!
    I might consider taking that road.
    Have you heard anything on what the Waterford Enniscorthy road is like?
    Merry Christmas to you!

Hi folks, have to drive to sligo from swords tomorrow. What's the M50, M4 and N4 like? Cheers mick

What part of Sligo?
    I travelled Letterkenny to Castlebaldwin last Friday. Then drove from Castlebaldwin to Limerick on the Sunday.

Found the Sligo city by-pass a bit patchy on the Friday.
    Motorway was fine, but had to watch the passing lane, could change condition very quickly!

The Stretch from Ballasidare down past Charlestown was horrific in parts. Between bad ice, followed by cars travelling at 30kph where roads conditions had improved. This area has been particularly bad over the last few weeks. The worst stretch between Limerick and Donegal!

Happy Ice Trucking! :D:D

kakee wrote: »
    From Limerick to Waterford through Tipp Town/Cahir/Clonmel is grand. The roads are dry and treated too. There is heavy freezing fog in Tipp Town area right now but should be ok.

Thanks a million kakee,
    I am defo thinking this will be the best route!
    Usually hate that road with a passion, its so narrow, windy and twisty.
    But given the state of play in the east, it sounds like the best of a bad lot!! Especially if they are treating the roads!

Merry Christmas to you!
    :D:):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

kiwipower wrote: »
    Hi Poochie05,
    Thanks for the info.
    It great to get the opinion of someone on the ground!
    I might consider taking that road.
    Have you heard anything on what the Waterford Enniscorthy road is like?
    Merry Christmas to you!
    As far a New Ross is definitely fine but not sure what the N30 is like. It is on the Wexford Co Co gritting route though so you could take a chance. I'd be more inclined to go as far as Wexford Town though and up the N11 unless you get some first hand info from someone who has done the N30.
    Safe journey & happy Christmas to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Trucks stuck on the hill at Rathcoole bridge coming up from Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

Anyone driving the M7/M9 from Dublin to Kilkenny recently? Need to make the trip, but can either go tomorrow or Friday. Once in the county and off the motorway appreciate it will be a bit of a lottery - but curious what the motorway has been like, as the M9 gets a lot of reports of ice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'm supposed to arrive in Dublin airport 6pm tomorrow evening then drive to north Longford and then out again on the morning of the 30th. presently weighing up whether to make the trip or not, any one good enough to offer a considered opinion?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 34 devastar

Hey,

Has anyone tried to get from Dublin to Belfast today? I'm thinking of trying to drive up on the m50 and m1 tomorrow and want to see what the chances of ending up in a ditch are! It's that or brave the bus :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Is Aughrim through Ballinaclash, Rathdrum to N11 driveable? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Sorry for another one of these Qs but anyone with aprox time to allow for this journey it would be much appreciated, I'm thinking train a better option...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Anyone been on the Boyle Frenchpark road in Roscommon, is it passable? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Story with roads from Galway through to Ballinrobe anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hey,

Does anyone know what the Wicklow to Brittas Bay roads are like? From Wicklow town or the scenic route?

Suppose to be heading that way for Christmas... New car and feeling nervous, very nervous!

Wish street view was live lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Do-more wrote: »
    I'm supposed to arrive in Dublin airport 6pm tomorrow evening then drive to north Longford and then out again on the morning of the 30th. presently weighing up whether to make the trip or not, any one good enough to offer a considered opinion?

I drove to longford this evening from Maynooth (on M4). Took about 1hr 45 due to slow traffic, not really due to roads. The M4 tolled section is in very good condition. The remaining m4 and n4 are not so good. They've been gritted but are icy underneath. I arrived about 6 in the evening and a very heavy freezing fog was already falling.

In short, you should be fine but allow extra time and take precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

devastar wrote: »
    Hey,

Has anyone tried to get from Dublin to Belfast today? I'm thinking of trying to drive up on the m50 and m1 tomorrow and want to see what the chances of ending up in a ditch are! It's that or brave the bus :) Thanks!

Yes, I drove up from Port Tunnel to Belfast (and beyond) at around 11am today. It took no longer than it normally takes me, the only bits of road that weren't nearly completely clear were the stretch of the M1 just before the Duleek exit to the Boyne bridge and that was just a slight bit of snow on the right lane. Otherwise, perfectly fine, even in Newry and Banbridge, which were experiencing a balmy -8C fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 devastar

woo-hoo! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭patrickc

lpw wrote: »
    Anyone driving the M7/M9 from Dublin to Kilkenny recently? Need to make the trip, but can either go tomorrow or Friday. Once in the county and off the motorway appreciate it will be a bit of a lottery - but curious what the motorway has been like, as the M9 gets a lot of reports of ice etc.

the Oh works in Naas and said the roads from Naas down to the Athy junction on M9 are one lane and crap but ok if you take your time. Ive driven to KK from Carlow, and again has been alright , slow but the inner lane has been ok so far.
    flutegirl wrote: »
    Anyone been on the Boyle Frenchpark road in Roscommon, is it passable? Thanks :)

my mam lives in Roscommon and has said roads are crap everywhere there, passable but very slow moving

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

patrickc wrote: »
    the Oh works in Naas and said the roads from Naas down to the Athy junction on M9 are one lane and crap but ok if you take your time. Ive driven to KK from Carlow, and again has been alright , slow but the inner lane has been ok so far.
    Cheers for that patrickc, have to make the same trip myself on Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

patrickc wrote: »

my mam lives in Roscommon and has said roads are crap everywhere there, passable but very slow moving

Cheers for that, will leave loads of time for travelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

Thanks for the update!

Advertisement