Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Road Conditions-16th- Onwards.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

Anyone know what the Woodenbridge to Aughrim road is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Whats the N11 like?? My sister is driving from Rosslare to Dublin this evening....

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

crisco10 wrote: »
    Whats the N11 like?? My sister is driving from Rosslare to Dublin this evening....

Was fine yesterday afternoon but fresh snowfall overnight in Wexford/Wicklow may have changed that. Have a gander at the AA website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

• N6 in Galway City was ok this morning as were the other main roads that I used. Housing estates still very icy.
    • M6 Eastbound between Galway and Loughrea was fine. Both lanes clear of frost/ice.
    • M6 Eastbound between Loughrea and a few km West Athlone - some frost in Lane 2; Lane 1 was fine. Could still drive in Lane 2, just with extra care. Both lanes looked to have been treated but temperatures were as low as -13.5 Celcius in parts and traffic was not as heavy East of Loughrea so frost was starting to build again in Lane 2.
    • M6 Eastbound approaching Athlone (J13, Monksland) - Lane 2 had a good bit of frost/ice; everyone was driving in Lane 1 only.
    • N6 Athlone Bypass Eastbound - both lanes were clear of frost/ice once passed J13 (Monksland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mr.Rv

lt_l_2010122202394751558.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

People planning on travelling a distance should remember that local roads are dire and that they become worse at night.

The best time to leave for a long journey is around 9am on the 24th or 25th. Leaving late on either day will guarantee that you hit the local roads around your destination after 4pm when the sun is down and the freeze is on.

Travel by day in sunlight, there is no traffic on christmas day so it is much easier to travel then than it will be friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Dublin 2 seems to have avoided the snow this morning, not sure how given the clouds to the north. Interesting that the streamers are hitting West Dublin pretty bad as they were not making it that far on Monday/Tuesday (well not with quite the same intensity anyway). The stuff developing in the Irish Sean looks pretty patchy on the radar so while snow may be heavy it looks like it may be down to luck/ bad luck who and where gets hit.

Edit: Apologies wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

anyone know what the journey from dublin to sligo town is like? toying with leaving for sligo from lusk today at 1... is it doable?

cheers,
    mick

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

yea i am doing the same journey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

I've to drive Swords to Finglas (Aldi) to get some last minute shopping this afternoon...anyone know what the roads are like around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

yeah, road between swords and finglas should be passable, main roads are snowy/slushy but otherwise ok. just keep some momentum on hills if you can, i got stuck going up a hill on the road between oldtown and st. margarets and had to be towed up by a helpful guy with a jeep...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Anyone know what the Woodenbridge to Aughrim road is like?

Hi. I drove Aughrim, Ballinaclash, Rathdrum, Rathnew c. 8am this morning. Road was compacted snow for the most part. Got there taking it handy. Got overtaken by an idiot in a van on the Glenealy road :mad:

Came home via N11 and Arklow, Woodenbridge, Aughrim. The journey from Arklow was interesting. The snow during the day had made road conditions worse. Quite slushy too. Again, got through it taking it handy. Managed to get the car up the hill and back in front of the house again. Be safe out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Has anyone driven Aughrim, Carnew, Bunclody, Enniscorthy today and what are road conditions like? Need to get to Enniscorthy on or for Christmas day. Thats the usual way I go but I guess the N11 route would be advisable. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Drove from Dublin city centre to Kildare today. N4 is pretty bad. Stopped off at Liffey Valley - insane. Cars abandoned recklessly in the carpark. M4 was hardly moving. Some freezing fog between Straffan and Clane. Prosperous, not too bad. Allenwood, same. Back roads are scary though!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Had the dreadful experience of driving the M1 this evening, from airport, at 10 kmh.
    Very icey esp from junction 4 to junction 5.
    Its a disgrace that there was no gritting done today on such a major road!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

hows the M7 all the way to Limerick, have to go from Leixlip to Clare tomorrow, via a stop in dun laoghaire.....should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

If at all possible, do not drive in Donegal (Letterkenny area) ....road surfaces are not good and are getting worse not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Anyone able to give me some information about the M1?

Driving from Dundalk to Dublin and would like to know.

Is it terrible the whole way, or just mainly around Dublin?

I'll drive there at 5 miles an hour if I have to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

What is the M50/N11/N25 like today?

Need to get from Clonskeagh to near New Ross today. Not leaving until 1pm ish.

Obviously avoiding the chaos that seems to have engulfed the N11 between Bray and Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Heard the N11 from Rathnew to Bray is bad with delays - anyone make that journey yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

I've to collect someone at the airport at 5 and then the options are drive to longford then or wait til xmas morning, what ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

FOR THOSE WONDERING ABOUT THE N11..

My sister drove Rosslare to Stillorgan last night, she said it was grand in wexford but wicklow was dodgy enough, espeically around Wicklow bypass. very icey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any idea how the m1 is to Dundalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Quays were a nightmare (1hr20min from the Point to Heuston Station); St.Johns road and Con Colbert were a nightmare (an hour from Heuston to the N4/M50 junction); the N4 was fine, but heavy traffic, and Lucan was under six inches to several feet of snow and cars and trucks were drifting round corners (there's something almost impressive about a bread delivery truck going round a roundabout sideways). The ring road over to the N7 was snowy and slippery but passable at up to 70kph or so, the N7 was fine but with incredibly heavy traffic (a good 90 minutes from just before Naas to the M9 turnoff at speeds of <10-12kph). The M9 was snowy but fine until just before J9 Athy, and after that was fine, tootling along at 100kph+ with no snow or ice on the road at all. Freezing fog after sunset though, so by tomorrow it may be another kettle of fish...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

crisco10 wrote: »
    FOR THOSE WONDERING ABOUT THE N11..

My sister drove Rosslare to Stillorgan last night, she said it was grand in wexford but wicklow was dodgy enough, espeically around Wicklow bypass. very icey.

Same experience on Christmas eve morning around 11am.

Advertisement