Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How well known is UCD abroad?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

I've been wondering how much of a 'brand name' UCD has outside of Ireland?? If you were applying to do a Masters in Berkley for example would people there have heard of UCD?? Is it a internationally know college does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It depends on the field of study I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It is in the top 100 Universities in the QS list and that is a pretty well renowned list. And as said above, field of study is important too.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

It is in the top 100 Universities in the QS list and that is a pretty well renowned list. And as said above, field of study is important too.

It's not anymore.

Any time I've said UCD to Americans they've thought of UC Davis.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

TDOie wrote: »
    It's not anymore.

So does my google search incidently

So does my google search incidently

Use google.ie not .com or anything else, then UCD is first. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 danielmoran

I don't think it would be most known in Ireland. Colleges Like NUIM & Trinity Have a high % of students that come from overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It really depends on what or who this foreign target audience is.

I would guess that academic based groups would have a much better idea than foreign, industry based groups.

Of course the subject thing too.

I don't think it would be most known in Ireland. Colleges Like NUIM & Trinity Have a high % of students that come from overseas.

NUIM does? REALLY? got a reference for this? I'd be shocked if it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It's not anymore.

Was a typo as I meant 200. It is 114th this year, 89th the year before. So it is still pretty well known. Obviously not majorly famous, but the top 20 are the only ones that will have universal recognition.

The Smurfit School is well renowned world wide though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭EoghanRua

It's not anymore.

Not unreasonable I would say. In the same way that someone in Ireland would assume you meant University College Dublin if you said UCD, or would assume you meant Dublin University rather than Oxford if you mentioned Trinity College. That's more indicative of 'local' knowledge than any real sign that any particular college is completely obscure.

• Advertisement

My roommate from France says it's very difficult to come to UCD from his college because there's always competition for the one place they have. That reflects well enough on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

My roommate from France says it's very difficult to come to UCD from his college because there's always competition for the one place they have. That reflects well enough on us.

I'd imagine that's more because UCD is in an English speaking country rather than purely because it's UCD though. A lot of French can speak relatively good English but nowhere near the amount can speak Spanish or German for example.

I'd imagine that's more because UCD is in an English speaking country rather than purely because it's UCD though. A lot of French can speak relatively good English but nowhere near the amount can speak Spanish or German for example.

They have a choice of different English language colleges. It's not just the one. :P

Advertisement