Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Kilkenny City Centre

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

With the advent of retail parks and McDonagh Junction the city centre has been placed under pressure as a shopping destination. The city centre particularly High Street stills seems vibrant though no doubt trade is down due to the aforementioned alternatives. The likes of Dundalk, Tralee and Tullamore are scary. The heart has been ripped out of the town centres by out of town retail parks and shopping centres. I hope it is a fate that never be falls KK city centre. Personally I find shopping centres and retail parks by and large devoid of atmosphere and you could be anywhere. Stand on High Street and look at the Tholsel and you can only be in KK.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yeah, them retail parks have no soul and in a lot of cases they wouldn't be cheaper, Woodies, DID and Halfords would all be be beaten on prices by local shops, I don't really know about Carpet Right or Home Focus.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Yeah, them retail parks have no soul and in a lot of cases they wouldn't be cheaper, Woodies, DID and Halfords would all be be beaten on prices by local shops, I don't really know about Carpet Right or Home Focus.

to be honest i have to disagree, the likes of Sherwoods and the Sony center are much more expensive than DID for any electronics ive ever looked at, they even do a double the difference if the products are cheaper anywhere else.
    In the main thoroughfare in the city there is nowhere with anything like Woodies or Halfords. The only place remotely similar to woodies is the garden center.

I too hope that the city never looses it life to the retail parks but when they are not competitive it will one day happen, there is a reason they are so busy.

For ease of access alone the retail parks are much handier, try getting parking on/near high street to load a large tv/fridge/cooker/bench/table into your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

For me a good city shopping means wide paths, Kilkennys High street sucks in this regard. If I'm meeting anyone with kids I tell them MDJ. It's a real shame the one way on high street was scrapped. At the moment if feels like a long walk through a car park. The retail parks are a good alternative but rather than fight them, high streets everywhere should try to increase their attractiveness.
    I think MDJ is somewhere between the two, pedestrian friendly with medium sized shops.

I really like the one way high street and didn't find it a hassle to get up town but the old way has put me right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I took a trip into town this evening to do a bit of Christmas shopping and practically all the shops on High Street were closed. I accept that it costs money to stay open late but there were a lot of people milling about the place and wonder how many of them would have spent money in these shops if they'd had the chance?

Advertisement