Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio fences

• 15-12-2010 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Just a question here, while looking at the rescue sites, I notice that a couple do not allow radio fences, why is that?

We have a radio fence, those with the collar, it was the only way to make 1acre + safe and the dogs once trained are just fine, now the collars are only on beep and they never try to get away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tudlytops wrote: »
    Just a question here, while looking at the rescue sites, I notice that a couple do not allow radio fences, why is that?

We have a radio fence, those with the collar, it was the only way to make 1acre + safe and the dogs once trained are just fine, now the collars are only on beep and they never try to get away.

Its not the only way to make 1 acre+ safe, a fence would do that.

Radio fences don't stop other dogs coming onto your property, they also don't stop a thief coming in and taking the dog.

Batteries run out, so dogs go past the boundary. SOmetimes something will be so enticing on the other side of the boundary that dogs will run through it, but they're not stupid, they won't come back through because they know it will hurt, so then you have a dog stuck outside.

I won't rehome to people with them because they don't work for huskies and mals, they have too high a prey drive, they will take the pain of the shock if theres something out there that they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

"Its not the only way to make 1 acre+ safe, a fence would do that."

No its not but it was the cheaper and only one we could afford.

"Radio fences don't stop other dogs coming onto your property, they also don't stop a thief coming in and taking the dog."

But is it that why they don't want then?

No fence will stop a thief and to fence of an acre to make it impossible for another dog to come in, is just to costly.

"Batteries run out, so dogs go past the boundary. SOmetimes something will be so enticing on the other side of the boundary that dogs will run through it, but they're not stupid, they won't come back through because they know it will hurt, so then you have a dog stuck outside."

Mine don't do it, if you prepared to train then as they should, they will not do it.

"I won't rehome to people with them because they don't work for huskies and mals, they have too high a prey drive, they will take the pain of the shock if theres something out there that they want."

Didn't know that about huskies and mals, we have a sheep dog and a cross German Shepard at the moment, they are very good.

And a neighbour even has a goat with one of those :)

I suppose small breads would be easier to fence then big breads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Just sounds like an Argos catalog solution to properly controlling your animals. If you can't afford to put up a boundary to stop your animal getting away or other animals getting in then you can't afford to keep the animal as your pet.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Just sounds like an Argos catalog solution to properly controlling your animals. If you can't afford to put up a boundary to stop your animal getting away or other animals getting in then you can't afford to keep the animal as your pet.

Who said I had a problem with animals getting in, I live in the middle of no where and my nearest neighbour who also has one, is 10min down the road.

None of my pets ever got hurt or lost, they are looked after better then I am, so no need for none of that.

i just noticed and asked, that was all.

Its cold so both dogs and the cat are inside by the fire, they get 2 meals a day even when i can't for myself.

They get checked by the vets once a year and any time they need.

They get brought out to the sea side at least once a month and walked twice a week.

Brushed most days and get a treat once a week.

This dogs come from the streets, the sheepdog had been stabbed and tried to bite everyone, still i loved him and he is now a beautiful dog, full of the most wonderful paranoias and i love him.

Sorry but you had no reason to say that, I love my pets, that does not mean I don't have to do things the way I can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Here are some of the many, many previous debates on this subject!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056017507

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055863084

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055865241

Is this what you are considering for the dog you plan to get your daughter? You won't pay a rehoming fee but you'll spend €150 on a radio fence :confused:

Here are some of the many, many previous debates on this subject!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056017507

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055863084

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055865241

Is this what you are considering for the dog you plan to get your daughter? You won't pay a rehoming fee but you'll spend €150 on a radio fence :confused:

She lives in a flat in town we live in the country.

We bought the fence ages ago second hand if you must know and it took a some time to save for.

I only ask about the dog and mention the fees, not to say we won't save up for the fees but if we could get one that someone was giving away, then yeah we would go that way.

And sorry if i did not see the threads.

Gosh, what is with everyone, i ask a question and have my head bitten of for it.

Gosh, what is with everyone, i ask a question and have my head bitten of for it.

No, the two threads were just posted in such a short time of each other that, that's how it appeared and it didn't make much sence so I just asked the question!

"Its not the only way to make 1 acre+ safe, a fence would do that."

No its not but it was the cheaper and only one we could afford.

"Radio fences don't stop other dogs coming onto your property, they also don't stop a thief coming in and taking the dog."

But is it that why they don't want then?

No fence will stop a thief and to fence of an acre to make it impossible for another dog to come in, is just to costly.

"Batteries run out, so dogs go past the boundary. SOmetimes something will be so enticing on the other side of the boundary that dogs will run through it, but they're not stupid, they won't come back through because they know it will hurt, so then you have a dog stuck outside."

Mine don't do it, if you prepared to train then as they should, they will not do it.

"I won't rehome to people with them because they don't work for huskies and mals, they have too high a prey drive, they will take the pain of the shock if theres something out there that they want."

Didn't know that about huskies and mals, we have a sheep dog and a cross German Shepard at the moment, they are very good.

And a neighbour even has a goat with one of those :)

I suppose small breads would be easier to fence then big breads.

You asked why rescues won't rehome to people to use them, these are some of the reasons.

You didn't say in your original post that you couldn't afford to fence the property, you said the radio fence was the only way. I have 2.2 acres which is all fenced to keep my dogs in. When I bought the house I knew it was an expense I would have to incur, so the work on the inside of the house wasn't done, the fencing was instead.

I don't think there is much difference between fencing small breeds or large breeds, some small dogs can jump very high, so still need at least 6 foot fencing, some giant breeds wouldn't be able to jump at all, so wouldn't need it to be 6 foot.

With all due respect, your dogs haven't escaped yet. That doesn't actually mean to say that the radio fence will always work. I have had many conversations with people who had the radio fences and swore by them, until the one day that they didn't work anymore, and their dogs got out, run over, shot, lost etc.

I also take offence at your line, that if you are prepared to train the dog properly they won't go past the boundary. You seem to be implying that other dog owners who won't use them are lazy, because they don't train the dog to the electric collar, yet you only walk your dogs twice a week, when they should be walked daily. I don't agree with training a dog by inflicting pain on it, and a lot of other people feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ISDW wrote: »
    I don't think there is much difference between fencing small breeds or large breeds, some small dogs can jump very high, so still need at least 6 foot fencing, some giant breeds wouldn't be able to jump at all, so wouldn't need it to be 6 foot.

I agree, my Yorkies are very springy, one can get over the 4.5 foot fence in my mams garden. Her dogs are a little bigger than Tilly and havent a hope of getting near the top of it. Depends on the breed/dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

walked twice a week.

You mean twice a day right?

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    You mean twice a day right?

No I don't, I'm disabled they have over an acre to play around and twice a week at least they go out for walks, i do not see what is wrong with that.

You asked why rescues won't rehome to people to use them, these are some of the reasons.

"You didn't say in your original post that you couldn't afford to fence the property, you said the radio fence was the only way. I have 2.2 acres which is all fenced to keep my dogs in. When I bought the house I knew it was an expense I would have to incur, so the work on the inside of the house wasn't done, the fencing was instead."

I said it was the only way, obviously was talking about my self and I did not say why.

Most fences would not stop a dog digging its way out.

"With all due respect, your dogs haven't escaped yet. That doesn't actually mean to say that the radio fence will always work. I have had many conversations with people who had the radio fences and swore by them, until the one day that they didn't work anymore, and their dogs got out, run over, shot, lost etc."

We've had the fence for about 3 years now and there as been no escape, compared to normal fencing in the old house where he kept digging is way out.

"I also take offence at your line, that if you are prepared to train the dog properly they won't go past the boundary. You seem to be implying that other dog owners who won't use them are lazy, because they don't train the dog to the electric collar, yet you only walk your dogs twice a week, when they should be walked daily. I don't agree with training a dog by inflicting pain on it, and a lot of other people feel the same way."

I know a few people around here that just didn't follow the instructions, its not about being lazy, its just the way most people are, accessible first look at the instructions later.

To stop a dog digging its way out, you sink the fence down into the ground a bit, or put concrete around the bottom. Yes, it does take effort and expense to fence a property properly, but to me, thats part of owning a dog.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No I don't, I'm disabled they have over an acre to play around and twice a week at least they go out for walks, i do not see what is wrong with that.

Sorry, there is plenty wrong with it. Playing in the garden is not the same as going out for a walk. Dogs get bored and need stimulation and need to be taken on walks, outside their home Everyday, sometimes twice a day. Twice a week is no where near enough.
    If you cant take a dog out then you should organise for someone to take the dog out then instead.

Using radio fences are the easy way out and not reliable or safe in any way at all and of course its the dog that suffers at the end of the day, if they escape, get run over, stolen and so on. They are not part of responsible dog ownership and they are pieces of equipment that should never be used to keep a dog in a garden, because at the end of the day, they are not reliable at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Dogs Trust
    • RSPCA
    • Association of Pet Behaviour Councillors
    • Association of Pet Dog Trainers
    • The Kennel Club UK
    • The British Veterinary Association
    All of the above & Dog Training Ireland oppose shock collars. They are now illegal in Wales, are about to be in Scotland & probably in England soon as well. It is also likely that we will ban them, assuming that our AWB will be based on the Scottish Bill.

So it is hardly any wonder that rescues don't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Saw a recent post where a dog has gone missing... has a regular collar on and a radio fence collar..and there's always someone saying how their dog can get out plus other dogs can get in.

They are unreliable.

If anyone is getting a dog the best thing to do is spend money on fencing first then eventually get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Discodog wrote: »
    • Dogs Trust
    • RSPCA
    • The Kennel Club UK
    All of the above & Dog Training Ireland oppose shock collars.

No vested interests there at all.....

mikom wrote: »

What do you mean?:confused:

mikom wrote: »

Such as ?. That is a pretty wide range of organisations & Countries. What vested interest could they all share ?.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Such as ?. That is a pretty wide range of organisations & Countries. What vested interest could they all share ?.

The vested interest they all share is having the wellbeing of the dog as top priority ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 john p

I have a radio fence for 18 years now on average we had up to 4 dogs on 4 acres could not have a dog without it, I dont agree with keeping dog in pens, never had any problem with the system a Petsafe one, there is a lot of cheap not very effective ones now, which are not great and that is why some rescue places dont allow them, Then there is some who dont want to be seen to support the idea, and gain the attention of some of the unreasonable people that are anti everything.My vet recommends them and uses one herself.

john p wrote: »
    there is a lot of cheap not very effective ones now, which are not great and that is why some rescue places dont allow them,

That is totally untrue. Rescues don't allow them because they can never guarantee security & most rescues will have first hand experience of dogs that escaped from these fences.
    john p wrote: »
    Then there is some who dont want to be seen to support the idea, and gain the attention of some of the unreasonable people that are anti everything.My vet recommends them and uses one herself.

The following are hardly being backward in opposing electronic collars. Neither are they anti everything. Your Vet may recommend them but I suspect that the VCI would agree with the RCVS.

• Dogs Trust
    • RSPCA
    • The Kennel Club UK

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Janeboylan

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could help me with my problem.

We have a Bullmastiff and we got a 2nd dog called reuben (pitbull mix/ medium size dog) to keep our other dog company while we are at work, this wasn't the only reason. Around 2mths ago Reuben escaped through our fence and has been doing so since.
    We have taken down the side and back fence and replace it with a wall but he managed to get out and we since built it up more but he got out again. On the other side of the garden we re-enforced the fence and closed up the all the gaps we also put him on a long chain but had to shorten it recently after he cleared the fence with the chain still on and thank God our neighbour saw him and took the chain off.
    With all gaps filled, wall and even with the shorter chain on he still manages to escape.

We also walk our dogs at 6am in the morning and in the evenings everyday so they are getting enough excerise. Reuben seems determind to escape also he doesn't seem happy to stay with our other dog while we are out even though they are the best of friends.
    I live in wicklow and there is a field next to us which a farmer keeps his sheep on and I am terrified that he will get shot or poisoned.

We are thinking off getting the invisible shock fence but I'm not sure if it will keep working after awhile if our dog manages to figure out how to get by it. Also is it cruel to use it on your dog? as some people have said along with animal shelters

I would be grateful for any helpful ideas on what i should do.

Janeboylan wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could help me with my problem.

We have a Bullmastiff and we got a 2nd dog called reuben (pitbull mix/ medium size dog) to keep our other dog company while we are at work, this wasn't the only reason. Around 2mths ago Reuben escaped through our fence and has been doing so since.
    We have taken down the side and back fence and replace it with a wall but he managed to get out and we since built it up more but he got out again. On the other side of the garden we re-enforced the fence and closed up the all the gaps we also put him on a long chain but had to shorten it recently after he cleared the fence with the chain still on and thank God our neighbour saw him and took the chain off.
    With all gaps filled, wall and even with the shorter chain on he still manages to escape.

We also walk our dogs at 6am in the morning and in the evenings everyday so they are getting enough excerise. Reuben seems determind to escape also he doesn't seem happy to stay with our other dog while we are out even though they are the best of friends.
    I live in wicklow and there is a field next to us which a farmer keeps his sheep on and I am terrified that he will get shot or poisoned.

We are thinking off getting the invisible shock fence but I'm not sure if it will keep working after awhile if our dog manages to figure out how to get by it. Also is it cruel to use it on your dog? as some people have said along with animal shelters

I would be grateful for any helpful ideas on what i should do.

Please dont, they are cruel and an unnecessary piece of equipment.:mad:

Do your dog a favour and put up proper fencing or buy a dog run where they can be safely contained while you arent around.
    Yes of course they are cruel, giving your dog an electric shock is cruel.:mad:

I know what you mean about the fence but our house is attached so our neighbours might be pissed with 6/7ft wall being put up on their side.
    Like I said the fence has been re-enforced and the gaps filled in properly with timber but every time we do this it takes a few days for him to figure a new way out.
    Our garden is big enough for 2 dogs but we wouldn't be able to fit a big enough run for the 2 dogs.
    Maybe your right about the shock fence being cruel but which is worse a shock or being either shot by a farmer or poisoned as a few of our neighbours dogs have been poisoned in my area and there is also being knocked down by a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Jane please spend a few minutes looking into the 2 horses that were killed the other day at Newbury races from electrocution. They were not killed by an electric fence or shock collar but what seems to be a stray live cable. However, every place I have read about this has said that animals are far more sensitive to electric fences than humans......i never knew this before even though I would never use one of those collars myself.
    here is a piece written by Pete the vet from TV3:

Quote:

To empathise, I took off my shoes, and standing there in bare feet, I touched the fence again. My strong advice to everyone else is: don’t ever do this. The electric shock slammed me backwards, and the bellow that I let out made my dog’s yelp seem like a gentle hiccup.

full article
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peterwedderburn/100076032/horse-deaths-simple-explanation-or-complex-conspiracy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook

I know what you mean about the fence but our house is attached so our neighbours might be pissed with 6/7ft wall being put up on their side.
    Like I said the fence has been re-enforced and the gaps filled in properly with timber but every time we do this it takes a few days for him to figure a new way out.
    Our garden is big enough for 2 dogs but we wouldn't be able to fit a big enough run for the 2 dogs.
    Maybe your right about the shock fence being cruel but which is worse a shock or being either shot by a farmer or poisoned as a few of our neighbours dogs have been poisoned in my area and there is also being knocked down by a car
    It is your responsibility to ensure your dog is contained safely and humanely and a radio fence does not do this. They are not reliable at all and your dogs will and still can escape using these fences so i cant see how you think using one of these is better than putting up a dog run.
    If your dog can still escape with the fencing you have put up, then no radio/shock fence is going to stop him im afraid.
    Failing that you will have to keep your dog indoors then.

Cill Dara do dog runs of all sizes so have a look at those or other companies only. You could get a 10ft x 10ft or around that size.

You dont need a huge run, just enough room to have your dog contained for the few hours when you arent there.
    Surely your garden isnt that small?

I know what a run is. I also worked in an animal shelter where a few dogs escape from time to time. I don't see the point having a garden and having to put up a run, one of the main reason we got a house with a garden was so our dogs could mess in it defeats the whole purpose of having a garden.
    Also most people I know work roughly 9 -5 hr jobs not 2hrs a day, so having 2 dogs in a small run isn't what think is right for an active dog that seems just as cruel. That is the reason we bring the dogs for a walk at 6am in the morning and again in the evening every single day.
    Also on the point of the 2 horses dying I hardly think they have the same voltage in that wire the horses stepped on than they do on general electric fencing farmers use other wise they would have no animals left. It was a freak accident

• Advertisement

I know what a run is. I also worked in an animal shelter where a few dogs escape from time to time. I don't see the point having a garden and having to put up a run, one of the main reason we got a house with a garden was so our dogs could mess in it defeats the whole purpose of having a garden.
    Also most people I know work roughly 9 -5 hr jobs not 2hrs a day, so having 2 dogs in a small run isn't what think is right for an active dog that seems just as cruel. That is the reason we bring the dogs for a walk at 6am in the morning and again in the evening every single day.
    Also on the point of the 2 horses dying I hardly think they have the same voltage in that wire the horses stepped on than they do on general electric fencing farmers use other wise they would have no animals left. It was a freak accident

Sorry let me get this, you dont see the point of putting them in a safe secure run, but you want to put up an electric shock fence that is cruel, unsafe and not reliable??:confused:

Ok, i can see where this topic will go so im not replying anymore, if you think its ok to use a shock collar on your dog instead of a dog run, then whats the point in giving you advice.

Dogs dont need a huge amount of space during the day as they will just sleep/chill out when you arent there. If they are getting walked twice daily then they dont need huge space to run around all day.

You asked for advice but you are obviously trying to get people to validate your idea of a shock collar, but trust me, you wont get many if any agreeing with you.
    Good luck!

Advertisement