Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio fences

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Maybe you need to look at why he's so desperate to escape all the time, is there a bitch in season somewhere nearby? Is he neutered?

I am against these electric collars, but, I also think that if you have a dog that is as determined to escape as your fella is, they won't stop him. He will take the second or two of an electric shock to get out.

Reuben unfortunately is on the stupid RB list, and if a dog warden picked him up, theres no guarantee that you would get him back I'm afraid. He could also be the target of some unsavoury characters who might like him to be used as a weapon or for dog fighting. So in his case, it is really, really imperative that you find some way of keeping him in securely.

I understand your concerns about a pen, but my dogs tend to sleep most of the day, if he's getting exercised in the morning and evening, then he probably will to. Are there any dog walkers locally that you could hire to go in during the day and take them out for a walk? Then you could leave them in a pen or inside while you're out at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Janeboylan wrote: »
    I know what a run is. I also worked in an animal shelter where a few dogs escape from time to time. I don't see the point having a garden and having to put up a run, one of the main reason we got a house with a garden was so our dogs could mess in it defeats the whole purpose of having a garden.
    Also most people I know work roughly 9 -5 hr jobs not 2hrs a day, so having 2 dogs in a small run isn't what think is right for an active dog that seems just as cruel. That is the reason we bring the dogs for a walk at 6am in the morning and again in the evening every single day.
    Also on the point of the 2 horses dying I hardly think they have the same voltage in that wire the horses stepped on than they do on general electric fencing farmers use other wise they would have no animals left. It was a freak accident

If you read the link I posted you would see where it refers to dogs getting a far stronger shock to electric fences than we do as humans. therefore it is not as easy to say how you believe the shock will effect them.
    If you ever see a horse with an electric fence they rarely touch it as they can sense the electricity coming off it. Your dog with its electric collar wont have that opportunity.
    Aside from that dogs are easy to steal with just these collars on and if they are smart they will figure how to run down the battery down. If it were one of my dogs he would never get it, to use one of these would drive him round the bend. The other I would suspect would stay going if she wanted to get out.
    I also worked long hours but knowing this the dog runs were the first thing I sorted in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Ok, have I understood correctly? Is this what it being said:
    It's better to keep a dog in a dog run all day and bring him for daily walks, rather than letting him run free around on an acre but with an electric collar.
    Also that if one wants to keep a dog and one has a bit of land to let him run loose, that a very high fence needs to be built all the way around.
    If one has a dog that is intent on escaping, again, a dog run in the only answer?
    Electric fence and collar are a complete no-no then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Kewreeuss
    It is all a matter of opinion I suppose. All someone can do is get all the experiences and then make their own decision. Personally I would not use a shock collar for the reasons outlined above and also because i have experience of picking up 2 small puppies complete with their shock collars on at a busy intersection. i managed to return them to the owner eventually, their electric was off!

we have 2 large dog runs built for our dogs. our land is several acres and is not ideally fenced all the way round for dogs, if they wanted to get out they could, hence the dog runs. we walk them regularly around our fields but they are never left out without us.
    We are in slightly a different situation as our "ringleader" is permanently on a lead due to illness. If she was loose then we would have to firm up fencing all the way around......that is, I believe, our responsibility as owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

@ JaneBoylan. Your dogs get 2 walks a day, they should be content enough to sleep in a secure run while you are gone during the day once they have a kennel. Most people here with dogs work during the day so it's not a case of us here only being out of the house 1 or 2 hours a day, majority here have 9 to 5 jobs, and while some have dog walkers to drop in half way through the day or have access to doggy daycare, but most don't and work around it by keeping their dog secure during the day (be it in the garden or a run) and giving them attention and exercise when we get home.

I would say forget the electric fence, buy a secure dog run and keep bringing them for a walk in the mornings to wear them out for the day. Look into giving them things like kongs to entertain them throughout the day. Is the dog that is escaping neutered? He could be after bitches in heat.

By the sounds of it the escaping dog is very intelligent, so it won't be long until he figures out that he can sit within the barrier and wear the battery out with the beeping that proceeds the shock and then cross the barrier without a shock.

A vet nurse told me recently that she has seen quite a few dogs with severe burns because of shock collars, I knew it was possible but I didn't think it was as common as she was describing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

Coming late into this debate here.
    One thing about radio fences I have not see mentioned here; in order for the collars to work the two prongs have to have constant contact with the skin. That means they have to be very tight. Ever tied one around your neck with these prongs pressing on your throat? Plus, when it rains and they are not absolutely waterproof, the best and safest brand cost around 600 or more!, they can burn the throat of the dog! I have seen dogs with deep burn marks, their owners weren't even aware of it.

If electric fence at all (and only until a proper fence is up), then one that is visible for the dog, doesn't hit him out of the blue. When I moved into my current place I needed to quickly fence off the house from the paddocks to protect my (own) sheep. I put five strands of electric fencing up and took each dog out in the yard, one by one, let him potter around and of course he would at some point get a shock. I felt bad, but I was there to comfort them. They all learnt instantly. because they could see the 'pain inflicter' and anticipate the consequence. This was only a temporary measure and my six foot deer fence went up within a week. I still feel bad that I had to put them through this, but they all only got one shock.

Even though my whippet can clear a six foot solid wall easily, he won't jump the six foot deer fence because the wire does not give him a good enough hold and he can see through it.

It's time radio fences are banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

andreac wrote: »
    Dogs dont need a huge amount of space during the day as they will just sleep/chill out when you arent there. If they are getting walked twice daily then they dont need huge space to run around all day.

can anyone tell me how much space a cocker spaniel would need? the reason I am asking is that we recently had to move from the country where she had loads of space to an estate with a small regular estate garden and I feel so guilty!!

she is walked for about 3k at 8am, OH is home for an hour at lunch and she is inside then I walk her for about 4k in the evening.

She has been escaping but just sitting at the front door of the house or in the neighbours garden (she is not used to be contained in such a small area). OH has made the fence higher so she should be fine now but just intrigued to know how much space is adequate.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

can anyone tell me how much space a cocker spaniel would need? the reason I am asking is that we recently had to move from the country where she had loads of space to an estate with a small regular estate garden and I feel so guilty!!

she is walked for about 3k at 8am, OH is home for an hour at lunch and she is inside then I walk her for about 4k in the evening.

She has been escaping but just sitting at the front door of the house or in the neighbours garden (she is not used to be contained in such a small area). OH has made the fence higher so she should be fine now but just intrigued to know how much space is adequate.
    Thanks

we have a male cocker (the are brillant dogs arent they??? :D) and we have an average size back garden and he is fine with it...

like your dog he gets walked every night / we have a dog walker twice per week and OH parents collect him on the other days etc...

Dogs mostly sleep all day while you are at work etc.. so im sure she will be fine... just leave her as stuffed kong etc and she will have loads to do while your at work etc....

Advertisement