Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currency Exchange

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Not really sure if this is the right section for this but here goes,
    im headin off to Australia in early February 2011 and I have €4,500 now saved to go. I've noticed that the euro has weakened against the Austrailian dollar recently so I am unsure what to do.
    I was wondering what are your opinions on the following options:
    Changing € to Oz Dollar in the bank here now?
    Changing € to Oz Dollar in February 2011 here just before I go?
    Transfer it now into my Australian Bank A/C?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€ is currently at a 10 year low against the A$..
    I don't have a crystal ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dazgib wrote: »
    Not really sure if this is the right section for this but here goes,
    im headin off to Australia in early February 2011 and I have €4,500 now saved to go. I've noticed that the euro has weakened against the Austrailian dollar recently so I am unsure what to do.
    I was wondering what are your opinions on the following options:
    Changing € to Oz Dollar in the bank here now?
    Changing € to Oz Dollar in February 2011 here just before I go?
    Transfer it now into my Australian Bank A/C?

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this?

Only way to correct answer this, is to compare todays rates with the rate in February 2011, and if you knew that, we could turn your €4,500 into enough to clear the national debt overnight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You'll have to contact the bank for the rate, both here and Australia. Ask about charges.

You might be able to get a better rate on that amount. Go to your local branch you have an account with and see if they can do you a deal.
    Think it was two to one last year.

My opinion is it shouldn't go much below what its at now (think 1.3?) This is based my opinion only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dazgib

Thanks Jet Black, thats the answer/opinion I was looking for.I think I might hang on.The rate is terrible compared to what it was. Im hoping it wont go much lower :(

One euro now gets you approx 1.34 australian dollars. It was 1.33 yesterday. I'll report back here in Feb to see how I got on :)

Advertisement