Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster and Connacht: Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I wonder how active the cold front will be comin down on Thurs morn. Maybe we might see some embedded thunderstorms. Lookin good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

So we might actually get PROPER snow this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Im not getting over excited this time, I couldnt believe that when we had barely any snow a couple of weeks ago, 15km down the road towards Claremorris was plastered. I was stunned. Also this talk of a Polar Low forming to the west, just panics me in thinking that warm moist atlantic air will be dragged in.

Look at the temps this morning around the country, not 1 report of a sub zero figure!! Infact at the moment its one of the warmest days we have had here for over 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest HIRLAM (06hrs) cloud forecast for tomorrow night around midnight:

139487.png

Showers along western coasts and into Ulster. Equally, if not more importantly, there could be some thunder contained in those showers as they ram themselves into the headlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yeah 5.1c here. Warmest morning in weeks. Low mist hanging over town in the valley below. My accuweather app on the phone here is going nuts. This time yesterday it was showing 1.8 inches if snow till midnight Sunday. That jumped to 9.3 before I went to bed last night and is now sitting at 13.6 !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Lads I'm so happy first the snow now we have our OWN Thread! Fantastic.:D

Looks like this is the place to be.

HIRLAM model for Friday morning 4am at this stage this would be all snow.

Harlim.gif

I will try out the Ulster/Conn snowcam later on and see if I can get it working. Haven't a great connection speed here but it should be sufficient to show it snowing. Remembering my user name and password for Ustream could be fun. :) I think anyone else with a webcam and a good view should also set one up. I am almost dead centre of the area this thread covers so would be nice to have north end soutn end and far west covered too !! Let's make this the snazziest regional thread :)

I used to put the cam link as my signature when it was running. That way I didn't have to keep posting the link.

irish1967 wrote: »
    I think anyone else with a webcam and a good view should also set one up. I am almost dead centre of the area this thread covers so would be nice to have north end soutn end and far west covered too !! Let's make this the snazziest regional thread :)

I'll try and find my usb webcam and usb extension. If not i'll just pop this netbook on the window sill. Is U stream easy to use?

• Advertisement

Yeah. Register and it gives you your own channel. The URL for that channel is the link. When I set mine up and become familiar with it I will post the details here.
    Meanwhile. MT's forecast thread is giving us serious snow amounts.. Haven't added it up properly but must be well over a foot with days combined !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The 00z GFS has the arctic invasion touching the North at around 9 am tomorrow:

5262522955_366a78cd3b.jpg

By 3pm it has it making inroads into Connacht:

5263111872_c30b8fce26.jpg

9pm:
    5263111918_b2f47d11ea.jpg

Hi Snow ghost i don't like the look of that wishbone effect but in saying i reckon the winds will be strong enough to push those showers well inland.

I just don't know. Lustened to Oceanfm news at 8 just now and there is absolutely no warning of what's coming. Why?? Do ME know something we don't. Surely it must be clear what's about to hit at this stage. Or are we all wrong on here ?? I'm a mystified. I really am and kinda annoyed if what we think will happen dies come to pass. (plus the fact it's making me sound like a paranoid eegit).

I just don't know. Lustened to Oceanfm news at 8 just now and there is absolutely no warning of what's coming. Why?? Do ME know something we don't. Surely it must be clear what's about to hit at this stage. Or are we all wrong on here ?? I'm a mystified. I really am and kinda annoyed if what we think will happen dies come to pass. (plus the fact it's making me sound like a paranoid eegit).

Here Irish1967 let me ease your mind!

UK Met Office Weather Warning

A band of rain and snow will move southwards across Scotland and Northern Ireland during the early hours of Thursday with widespread icy surfaces then rapidly developing, potentially around the morning rush-hour period. This risk will also extend into Northern England. Heavy snow showers will then spread to areas exposed to the strong northerly wind.
    Issued at: 1123 Tue 14 Dec

Snow showers will become increasingly frequent and heavy across western areas through Thursday and will then extend to some central areas on Friday. Accumulations of 5 to 10 cm are expected in general, but with possibly 20 cm of lying snow in places by Friday evening. Snow will be accompanied by strong north or northwesterly winds leading to some drifting.
    This is expected to cause disruption to travel networks.
    Issued at: 1144 Tue 14 Dec

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Hi Snow ghost i don't like the look of that wishbone effect but in saying i reckon the winds will be strong enough to push those showers well inland.

That just gives an indication hotwhiskey of when its arriving, I wouldn't worry too much about its main boundaries at this stage.

This afternoon, early evening I expect them to start talking things up.

I must check what the British are saying about things.

Can everyone take a pic of their garden or street today with no snow so we can use as comparisons for later pics. Hard to visualise amount of snow in an area when we haven't seen it without snow first. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen the bbc forecast ,says tempertures drop fast for rush hour morning and rain will fall in northern Ireland and scotland this will mean black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I will try out the Ulster/Conn snowcam later on and see if I can get it working. Haven't a great connection speed here but it should be sufficient to show it snowing. Remembering my user name and password for Ustream could be fun. :) I think anyone else with a webcam and a good view should also set one up. I am almost dead centre of the area this thread covers so would be nice to have north end soutn end and far west covered too !! Let's make this the snazziest regional thread :)

I'm out for the day today but when I get home I will set up a HD cam looking northwest over the Ox Mountains from my house. Hope it doesnt kill my upload speed.....ahh what the hell, snow doesn't arrive that often. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Should I set up a live storm cam on Thursday ?

Please do. I think there is a on/off switch underneath it that says "Snow Shield". Make sure that is set to off. Last year the whole north west got nothing when you set it up :pac:

I've been warning family and friends about the upcoming weather but they ain't taking it serious.

Strangely mild here today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Bad news lads, the FF front bench is outside the dail shouting up into the sky right now.
    The ensuing rise of hot air has successfully turned the cold front away from the country.
    Snows cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

rhonin wrote: »

I know. Chucked on the North Face to go defrost the car for my wifes white knuckle ride to Castlebar and it was clear of ice. Calm before the storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

rhonin wrote: »

I have to agree. Feels like a mini heatwave. Is this the calm before the snowstorm?

I would love to see the return of the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

The temperatures will drop quickly tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Imagine a discussion for each province for snow. Class

Remember the sad snowless 90s.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

the calm before the snowstorm?

Oi, get your own lines. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

6/7* in Galway City ... no snow yet xD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Advertisement

bandit197 wrote: »
    I'm out for the day today but when I get home I will set up a HD cam looking northwest over the Ox Mountains from my house. Hope it doesnt kill my upload speed.....ahh what the hell, snow doesn't arrive that often. ;)

Ive just set up my webcam, its currently looking at the birds feeding!

http://www.ustream.tv/broadcaster/6553465

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement