Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster and Connacht: Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Driving to work early tomorrow morning could be, for many, a windy and wet affair. Roads will seem fine and it will be just like many horrible miserabler wet winter days... but with a difference ! It will freeze solid very quickly in the morning/ early afternoon. Be aware that you may get to where you are going with not too much bother but getting home again could be a major problem.

Also take into account that even if roads are gritted early rain water may wash a good deal of grit/salt off just before it freezes. Depending on the speed of 'the greenland express' and your location the freeze could start before or during your commute.

This is where a lot of people will be caught out. On a snowy frosty monring many people decide to stay at home and for many it wont be that type of monring ...at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

there's a nothingness to the weather here in galway today givining the feeling that there's a big event about to take place in the weather, Countrywide snow events are so unusual, i think even the 82 and 87 events were regional. any doubts about temperatures can be dispelled, in any case with potentially slack winds at times over the weekend we can expect some serious evaporative cooling to take place. going to take a pic at the back of the house today as was suggested and then post the after snow pic here.

the potential tomorrrow for a wet roads to black ice freeze at least during the day is small however after dark which is now 5pm there could be some tricky road conditions, I'm going in early to work so that I can get out before any freeze and have advised others to do the same if possible

i'm hoping this thread will be the longest of the regioanl weather threads over the next few days. if Cork doesnt get any snow then the Munster thread will definitely be the longest as all they will do is moan and complain all day and post comments on why cork never gets any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm officially excited now :D

it looks like a decent fall of snow from Thursday night to Saturday for us. A bonus would be if we have thunder snow! I hope i'm not jinxing things with this post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

it looks like a decent fall of snow from Thursday night to Saturday for us. A bonus would be if we have thunder snow! U hope i'm not jinxing things with this post!

Experienced thunder with snow while living in North Vancouver. Was the weirdest thing ever. We went into a shop and it was dry, came out to about 10cms of polystyrene type flakes in 40 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

typhooner wrote: »
    the potential tomorrrow for a wet roads to black ice freeze at least during the day is small however after dark which is now 5pm there could be some tricky road conditions,
    I dont think so, BBC said black ice for tomorrow morning and during the day , this is very cold air coming remember.

How is thunder snow different to normal snow, I thought it was just snow with thunder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

it looks like a decent fall of snow from Thursday night to Saturday for us. A bonus would be if we have thunder snow! I hope i'm not jinxing things with this post!

Watch for the big downgrade in the next run :P

Now if I could get hold of winter tyres I'd be happy. I'd like to get home for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CarnTorres

This question might have been brought up here before but why is ulster and connacht bunched together on this. I'm from the inishowen peninsula and snow with me wouldnt automatically mean snow in galway, Justs seem like we are getting a raw deal :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

there's a nothingness to the weather here in galway today givining the feeling that there's a big event about to take place in the weather, Countrywide snow events are so unusual, i think even the 82 and 87 events were regional. any doubts about temperatures can be dispelled, in any case with potentially slack winds at times over the weekend we can expect some serious evaporative cooling to take place. going to take a pic at the back of the house today as was suggested and then post the after snow pic here.

Nationwide snow events are like chicken's teeth rare to say the least. I believe what will happen over the coming day's is once in a lifetime event.In 82' I was outside that day overcast cold and i could here the wind picking up in the tree's. Late afternoon the snow started not to heavy at first but after dark it let rip! Electricity went out and we were huddled around the open fire listening to a old wireless radio on RTE Radio 1 for weather updates.

I can remember looking outside with the flash-lamp, Wow! the wind was blowing the snow so hard to the ground it was going in every direction next morning six foot high snow drift covered the car. I can tell you the next three weeks were really hard on firing, food and the animals we were cut off.

I think it's time once again, maybe in 30 years time if I'm still here the kid's of today will be talking about Dec 2010' Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

i'm hoping this thread will be the longest of the regioanl weather threads over the next few days. if Cork doesnt get any snow then the Munster thread will definitely be the longest as all they will do is moan and complain all day and post comments on why cork never gets any snow.

The Munster thread will be the longest either way:D! (yes there are still people from Munster reading this thread!)

Heres the new thread signature. free for all to use if ya want.
    Untitled-1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I dont like the multiple threads :(

Breaks up the community of the forum

I dont like the multiple threads :(

Breaks up the community of the forum
    I can see how being in Athlone would be a problem with this. You'll have to follow every provincal thread over the next few days:o

As much as i love a load of snow, i would prefer being here again. This was on a cruise, about this time last year, out at sea on way to Barbados. There was a large storm passing us on the right and it was about 32c... heaven!

afcruisedfjscaled.php?tn=0&server=375&filename=cruisedf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

There is a mist over Parkmore at teh moment. That will keep us warm for a while.

Come on the SNOW :)

NTC wrote: »
    There is a mist over Parkmore at teh moment. That will keep us warm for a while.

Come on the SNOW :)

just looked out the window in Ballybrit, that mist came down fast

Look at the size of that beast !! :eek:

irish1967 wrote: »

saying rain for Ballina though

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »

If you move that forward a bit it looks like the system is moving towards Britain more :( Hope it changes direction

leahyl wrote: »
    If you move that forward a bit it looks like the system is moving towards Britain more :( Hope it changes direction

It does shift slightly east, but we still get the northerly blast!

It does shift slightly east, but we still get the northerly blast!

Jesus Britain is going to be dumped with the stuff:eek:

ciaran67 wrote: »
    saying rain for Ballina though

I have a feeling Ballina will be seeing snow during the early hours of Friday morning- if not before.

Now Belmullet is where it could be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭moogester

leahyl wrote: »
    Jesus Britain is going to be dumped with the stuff:eek:

Scotland and the north of England, yeah. They always get more than us anyway. don't worry though, assuming there is no major downgrade today, there is snow for everyone - even Corkonians - this weekend;)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Time to join in the fun!

Updated warning just released by the UKMO for Northern Ireland:

Northern Ireland:

Snow showers will become increasingly frequent and heavy across Scotland, Northern Ireland and north Wales by the end of Thursday and will then extend south to the rest of Wales and southwest and central areas of England into Friday. Eastern coastal counties will also see snow showers for a time until early on Friday. Accumulations of 5 to 10 cm are expected in general, but with possibly 20 cm in places by Friday evening. Snow will be accompanied by strong north or northwesterly winds leading to some drifting.

This is expected to cause disruption to travel networks.

Issued at: 1149 Wed 15 Dec

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html

met.ie:

"Initially, the north and west will continue taking the brunt(:pac:) but the focus for snowfall is likely to transfer to southern and, eventually, eastern counties as the weekend progresses. The temperature regime will be exceptionally low for mid-December, with overnight frost and ice persisting by day in many areas in addition to random snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is It just me or does the bulk of that express seem to be going east towards Norway?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Is It just me or does the bulk of that express seem to be going east towards Norway?

look at the way it expands out as it heads south. it's definitely coming. why do you have to be so negative:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement