Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster and Connacht: Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Pangea wrote: »
    Is It just me or does the bulk of that express seem to be going east towards Norway?

Thats just the cloud cover. The cold air mass is the clear area between Greenland and over Iceland at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

hold the nerves lads, it's nailed on to be here by late morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Any snow heading towards Tuam over the next few days folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I have a feeling Ballina will be seeing snow during the early hours of Friday morning- if not before.

Now Belmullet is where it could be dodgy.

looks like you're right NL

snowi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Do you want a laugh then go to post 66 on the Munster thread.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Next two days looks good for Ulster, seems to be plenty of precip anyway.

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Any snow heading towards Tuam over the next few days folks?

Hope not ... working in Tuam during weekend and next week ;/ 25m trip each way in snow ? no thx ;p

WTF ? 10* in Galway city ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

OK, as ready as I'll ever be for The Big Event here in NE Galway:

- extra bag of spuds in the boot

- home heating oil delivered

- two 40kg bags of coal purchased

- MOST of the Christmas shopping done (the important bits anyway)

- nice 12-year old bottle of Jameson to be procured on the way home later

- Christmas cake baked and ready for icing

- Materials sourced and construction commenced on DIY toboggan (last time I did this was circa 1982 when I was a young lad, this time I'm doing it with my own young fella, ah the memories :o)

- wife has her snow socks from the last cold spell and they have worked a treat so far for her work run

- taken Friday off from work so I can stay at home and stare out the window (and bugger all happening next week anyway)

- contingency party planned at the next door neighbours for Saturday night (beer in stock) in case I can't get down to Mayo for my annual reunion p*ss-up with the lads

So let the fun begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Next two days looks good for Ulster, seems to be plenty of precip anyway.

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Dear God ! That shows Donegal with constant precip for 37 hours !!:eek:

• Advertisement

MayoForSam wrote: »

- Materials sourced and construction commenced on DIY toboggan (last time I did this was circa 1982 when I was a young lad, this time I'm doing it with my own young fella, ah the memories :o)

- wife has her snow socks from the last cold spell and they have worked a treat so far for her work run

- taken Friday off from work so I can stay at home and stare out the window (and bugger all happening next week anyway)

- contingency party planned at the next door neighbours for Saturday night (beer in stock) in case I can't get down to Mayo for my annual reunion p*ss-up with the lads

So let the fun begin!!

Jesus, you're organised. do you want to run the country for us??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Dear God ! That shows Donegal with constant precip for 37 hours !!
    Jesus, you're organised. do you want to run the country for us??!?

Fierce religious on the Ulster thread.

Snow-Frozen-God-Cum.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

irish1967 wrote: »
    Dear God ! That shows Donegal with constant precip for 37 hours !!:eek:

4wd & Winter tyres....bring it on !!! :D

Pique wrote: »
    4wd & Winter tyres....bring it on !!! :D

you think !
    crowley060303_450x338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

MayoForSam wrote: »

So let the fun begin!!

i hope u have you xbox beside the window u have being mising in action the last while:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I will be keeping an update of happenings in the Northwest on http://weathergossip.com

I envisage a lot of refreshing in the next few days :rolleyes:

btww 2 questions.. how do you guys put pics on your posts and how do you put a link without the name of the website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

naughto wrote: »
    i hope u have you xbox beside the window u have being mising in action the last while:pac::pac:

Hehe, yeah, not had much time for the Xbox recently, however with BFBC2 Vietnam coming up soon, I'll be jumping back online.

My biggest problem with the upcoming snow promised is that my broadband is wireless and relies on the rooftop antenna having LOS into the base station. During heavy snow or if the antenna mesh gets covered in snow, then I lose my signal. I was having a few hare-brained ideas about mounting a small heater underneath the antenna that would melt away the snow when needed but decided to leave it.

Surely it can't get that bad? Or could it?

Salt supplies already low (on the boat from Egypt according to Dunce Dempsey's department :rolleyes:), the county councils can't afford to pay overtime, the IFA are offering farmer's services to grit local roads (at a price I'll bet) but nothing sorted. Really bad time of year running up to Christmas if people do get cut off from their local town or village for a few days.

pauldry wrote: »
    I will be keeping an update of happenings in the Northwest on http://weathergossip.com

I envisage a lot of refreshing in the next few days :rolleyes:

btww 2 questions.. how do you guys put pics on your posts and how do you put a link without the name of the website
    Click quote on a post that you see that and you'll see in the raw quoted part before you submit reply,how it is done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Click quote on a post that you see that and you'll see in the raw quoted part before you submit reply,how it is done :)

thanks BlackBriar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just heard on radio that this cold spell will not be as bad as last one! Sure what do they know!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Pangea wrote: »
    Just heard on radio that this cold spell will not be as bad as last one! Sure what do they know!

What is the source of the comments?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

sorry if im boring people with this at this stage as ive mentioned it already on at least one other weather related post ( maybe 2 ) but
    there is at least a 50% likelihood that my wife will go into labour this weekend and we'd have to get from ballina to sligo.. from reading this and the previous forum it seems mayo sligo would be due to get a fair old dosing thursday friday and saturday
    what are the likelihoods of it being unsafe to drive or do people see it getting that bad... ie road closures etc.....dont want to call an ambulance if its not neccessary but its impossible to know until you venture out

if it werent for this id be cheering on the polar express with the rest of ye...but its hard to get excited about it with probably a 2 hour drive in it a possibility.... so im still praying for the whole thing to take a handbrake turn at the north and snow all over the east and the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

very strange, even the farmers down the pub today are saying this will be a non event and nothing will come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Vudgie wrote: »
    What is the source of the comments?

Thanks

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1215/weather.html

"It says initial indications are that this cold spell will not be as severe as the previous one."

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

snaps wrote: »
    very strange, even the farmers down the pub today are saying this will be a non event and nothing will come of it.

I'd say its more wishful thinking than anything else. The fact that they are in the pub anyway probably means that they don't care what it does!;)

I told my neighbour what could be in store for us, just being neighbourly friendly and was told not to be silly that the forecasters always got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

woody1 wrote: »
    sorry if im boring people with this at this stage as ive mentioned it already on at least one other weather related post ( maybe 2 ) but
    there is at least a 50% likelihood that my wife will go into labour this weekend and we'd have to get from ballina to sligo.. from reading this and the previous forum it seems mayo sligo would be due to get a fair old dosing thursday friday and saturday
    what are the likelihoods of it being unsafe to drive or do people see it getting that bad... ie road closures etc.....dont want to call an ambulance if its not neccessary but its impossible to know until you venture out

if it werent for this id be cheering on the polar express with the rest of ye...but its hard to get excited about it with probably a 2 hour drive in it a possibility.... so im still praying for the whole thing to take a handbrake turn at the north and snow all over the east and the uk

That would be a main route so should be gritted but I heard some people say that it was dangerous enough in places during the last cold spell. Be careful if you do have to venture out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

woody1 wrote: »

Do you know anyone with a 4 x 4 you could borrow? Am in a similar situation myself and at the antenatal classes we were told that worst case situation try and get as far as a local community hospital. We were told that all nursing staff are trained to deliver in emergencies. I also bought a pair of snowsocks for the car just in case. Its a worrying time alright but please God all due babies will be delivered safe and sound, Best of luck to your wife.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement