Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster and Connacht: Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

snaps wrote: »
    very strange, even the farmers down the pub today are saying this will be a non event and nothing will come of it.

what where u doing in the pub in the middle of the day ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

naughto wrote: »
    what where u doing in the pub in the middle of the day ??

Drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

very strange, even the farmers down the pub today are saying this will be a non event and nothing will come of it.

It's probably because they have experience that Northerly fronts usually just bring us a few moderate snow showers and nothing major in these parts.

This time - I think it is different and I also think Belmullet will get snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Accountsplus

Hi,
    I have to travel from Galway to Dungloe on Thursday morning and then on to Letterkenny late on Thursday afternoon I was planning on returning to Galway on Friday afternoon/evening, leaving Letterkenny between 3 and 4 pm.
    Should I postpone now or should I wait til the morning and see if there might be any developments.
    I did a similar trip at the start of the last cold spell and it went fine - travel between Sligo and Galway was slow because of snow but otherwise it was no problem.
    I lived in Donegal for a number of years and in my experience, the forecast events rarely turned out as bad as forecast, it was the unforecasted ones that caused problems. This looks a bit different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

OK for those asking about travel. With the 2 opposing viewpoints of this forthcoming event (ME and here on boards) it is understandable that confusion is going to reign supreme in this until it happens. If we tell you not to travel and its a damp squid of an event then you will be pissed off and whoever gives the advice will look like a fool.

If someone says its ok and its total hell then again the same reactions. The fact that the 2 opposing views are so different makes the call on this far more difficult. 5 years ago you would have listened to ME after the 6.1 news and thought to yourself ah thats grand or whatever and if they were wrong you would be like ..holy F*** this wasnt forecast !

The bottom line is be prepared for a worst case scenario. I for one and i am sure most of the other regulars will be glued to this thread from around 7-8 am in the morning. We can tell you what its like.. whats on the radar and what we have heard from non boardies in the area.

I would call ambulance control and make them aware of your situation and ask them a few 'what if' questions. They are public servants and wont mind you enquiring. As for the Galway to Donegal trip I would not commit until this thing hits and also be prepared to check on here on your way up and be prepared to turn around.

Regulars, being snow/extreme weather lovers are secretly hoping this will be a snowmageddon and would love to be able to paint the most extreme outcome and tell you to cancel etc but we are all used to the rollercoasters on here and know you can never really tell what is going to happen with 100% certainty.

I hate to use the word 'nowcast' but thats what it will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Vudgie wrote: »
    What is the source of the comments?

Thanks
    Not sure , didnt catch it all, think it was on 2fm , source was met eireann I think.

met eireann havent really ramped up anything , just saying flurries , and several cms for north and west and some accumulations, I notice that the word significant is for the South and east.

Looks like this thread party is gona stop before it even begun judging by the voting on the other thread, shame it could of been a special one :).
    Exact same as a few weeks ago the ulster thread was set up for snowfall the next day and was closed in the middle of the night before we even had any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Is Mayo gonna get snow for sure so

Hey weather guru's, what do you think the chances are of seeing snow in Dublin on the 28th June 3014?

If you enter your address or GPS coordinates into the Snowgrometer Deep and wait to see which gauranteed precipitation lights up, all will be revealed:

5264259482_437c0d79ef.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Coincidentally I'm a farmer and also think this will be a non event. (But I'm marinating my hat just in case I need to eat it). My non farming mate keeps on about blizzards :eek: & snow :eek:, I do believe he actually said a foot of snow :pac: a little excitable methinks.

Perhaps us farmers are just naturally more optimistic than the rest of ye when it comes to weather :D :pac:

• Advertisement

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Is Mayo gonna get snow for sure so

YES

snow ghost wrote: »
    YES
    :D:D
    When will we get it?

(from wolfie website)at least he knows what hes on about

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/snow-risk-chart-for-ireland-thursday-am.html
    The below chart relates to the risk of disruptive levels of snowfall in Ireland between 00:01 Thursday to 08:00 Friday.

RED = 80% confidence
    ORANGE = 60% confidence
    YELLOW=40% confidence
    BLUE= 20-30% confidence

This map will be updated later tonight as weather model data is collated. A full text summary also will be issued tonight.
    Map+of+ireland+copy.jpg

http://www.irishweatheronline.com/2010/12/snow-risk-chart-for-ireland-thursday-am.html
    The below chart relates to the risk of disruptive levels of snowfall in Ireland between 00:01 Thursday to 08:00 Friday.

RED = 80% confidence
    ORANGE = 60% confidence
    YELLOW=40% confidence
    BLUE= 20-30% confidence

This map will be updated later tonight as weather model data is collated. A full text summary also will be issued tonight.
    Map+of+ireland+copy.jpg
    Is this correct? How long will we expect the snow to stay?

RED = 80% confidence
    ORANGE = 60% confidence
    YELLOW=40% confidence
    BLUE= 20-30% confidence

Map+of+ireland+copy.jpg

Poor Achill. :pac: Did Wolfe forget about them?

Weatherchecks quote;

I personally don't like the idea of regional threads but it was getting far too messy, and i think more people want regional threads than don't.

We will reconsider it for the next spell (if we get another one!) but for the moment we are giving this a shot.

Feel free to keep commenting below though.

So it seems we will have this thread till the end of this event:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Is this correct? How long will we expect the snow to stay?

OwenC, is that you?? :D:D

snow ghost wrote: »
    Poor Achill. :pac: Did Wolfe forget about them?
    just seen that now sure achil is nearly in america well nearly.

i dont no mayo boy how long its going to last u.from my reading of the maps
    and i know very little we will have it untill tues or wednesday then they may be some mild weather for a day or two, and back to the clod weather again after that.

as i said i have no real clue ,u are better of going on to wolfies site,there is loads of info ther,he even as a live report wher people as questions

Well, the balance of probability is now swinging towards an extreme alert/warning type forecast and so watch for an update over in the forecast section at 8 p.m.

The concept that "this won't be as bad as the last time" is looking somewhat shaky -- everything's relative but at the moment, this is looking like saying World War II won't be as bad as World War I. Many found it worse. :eek:

Now that sounds... ominous :eek::eek::eek:

Avns1s wrote: »
    OwenC, is that you?? :D:D
    Ah no:confused:

• Advertisement

Percip just about to hit north of Scotland

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Roll up roll up.. get your souvenir signature pic here...

1 right click on the pic below and 'copy image location'
    2 go to edit your signature
    3 click the insert image box and paste the image location

and thats it !!

Untitled-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

irish1967 wrote: »
    Roll up roll up.. get your souvenir signature pic here...

1 right click on the pic below and 'copy image location'
    2 go to edit your signature
    3 click the insert image box and paste the image location

and thats it !!

Untitled-1.jpg

The Donegal Delboy !! :D:pac:

t|nt|n wrote: »
    The Donegal Delboy !! :D:pac:
    Luvly jubbly:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

irish1967 wrote: »
    Luvly jubbly:cool:

irish1967 you plonker :p:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Heres another weather cam for this cold spell. Bandits Weather Cam. Details are on the channel. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Temps rising here still, 7.2c now. Thinking of getting the BBQ out ready for the cricket at 2am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 willyg

Anyone know where to buy snow tyres cheap in Donegal or Strabane?

Very mild here at the moment.
    I see on my local road there is loads of grit on the sides of the road dumped in small piles for people to put it on themselves as see fits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

Any guesses on how much we will get over the next few days - Im going for approx 6-8 inches of snow around Central Mayo (Castlebar) with maybe less towards coast around Westport and Ballina, as Pat Shortt would say on T'Weather, its a hard wan to call, a hard one to call!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement