Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster and Connacht: Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

evelyn seemed very nervy in her 9.30 forecast. basically it's game on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

she mentioned heavy drifting snow:confused: has she been readind this thread:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just looking at todays weather data for the Faro Islands. Temp dropped from 7c to 3c in an hour, then onto 1c in another hour. This was at 15.00 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just got in from work and saw the 9.30 weather this is going to be epic stuff over the next 3 to 4 days.

Went over to look at the Charts thread to see what's coming and it's gone into a full blowing Chit Chat Thread. I give up!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

snaps wrote: »
    Just looking at todays weather data for the Faro Islands. Temp dropped from 7c to 3c in an hour, then onto 1c in another hour. This was at 15.00 today.

Yeah it was a sudden drop all the way to -1c with a wind chill of -10c and snow showers there now.

Good indication of what's on the way

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/06011.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Vizual Pics

UPDATE to yesterday's posted regional snowfall predictions:

issued 2145h Dec 15th, 2010 -- amounts in cms -- expected regional averages -- more may fall on higher ground in each region, less near shores and urban centres.

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

Notes
    _______

Snow Thursday-Friday mostly in passing squally snow showers that may merge into longer periods of snow in counties such as Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, parts of Galway and Clare, and that may apply to adjacent parts of other counties at times

Snow Saturday-Monday mostly from organized areas of snow that may sweep in from east or northeast, heavy bands likely from about Meath southwest to Laois and Tipps, also in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare, but this could spread further north and west in other bands crossing Ulster and moving southwest.

If you got heavy snow in the last round, you'll probably get heavy snow in this round, but, if you escaped snow in the last round, you may get at least some snow in this round, and parts of Mayo to Fermanagh could start off this round with heavy snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heavy snow mentioned for donegal and drifting , forecast of dreams :D

On the GFS 18z run a low has just formed over Mayo and Galway at 54h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Heavy drifting snow for Donegal :p

To be honest I'm not expecting all that much, hopefully better than the 4 or so inches we got last time but unless we get some decent streamers then it'll just be the usual scattered showers. I dont want to build it up too much only to be disappointed. Plus I need to get home for Christmas at some stage!

Still, tomorrow should be an exciting day and a strange one in that its going to start off mild.

What time are we expecting snow? I'd guess some time around 5pm

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    On the GFS 18z run a low has just formed over Mayo and Galway at 54h.

Just saw that on the Charts thread....does that mean all out snow for Mayo/Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

anyone know any place in galway that sell snow socks for cars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for posting my snowfall table update, I am just popping in here to mention that all forecast updates will first appear in my forecast thread, so that any interested readers will know where to look, and it will help the forum stay on track if posts in that thread are kept to a minimum. I think the mods have done a great job getting the forum ready for what is almost certain to be a huge increase in posting here (if that's even theoretically possible).

This is a very dramatic set of charts on the models next four or five days and to put things in perspective, if you had something like the Great Lakes and not the full Atlantic Ocean to your northwest, you could be talking about feet of snow falling next two days, but as things stand, even the Atlantic with its known powers to moderate arctic air won't have time to take all the power out of this outbreak, and I could imagine some higher west-facing parts of your regions getting over a foot of snow just in the first two days.

Then the emphasis swings around to more of a northeast flow pattern and snow from a rather strong low likely to form under the polar vortex as it drifts southwest across Ireland (of all places) on the weekend. Your region could do fairly well for snow out of this too, although the heaviest amounts are likely to transfer to the east and southeast.

Anyway, take care if you have to travel, and expect delays or even some road closures. The front should arrive in Donegal late tonight and in Mayo about sunrise, just to give some idea of the timing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

typhooner wrote: »

Thats a good question. But ive heard that fast fit garages have some. there is one there in liosban estate. Might get some myself tomorrow because im supposed to be driving from Galway to dublin on saturday for a wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

What time shall we be expecting snow at tomorrow in Mayo?

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    What time shall we be expecting snow at tomorrow in Mayo?

Read MT's thread above!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Read MT's thread above!
    Where? :o

After looking at those charts its.. fonz.jpg

And the days ahead will beee...

happydays.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Post #163 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Here
    UPDATE to yesterday's posted regional snowfall predictions:

issued 2145h Dec 15th, 2010 -- amounts in cms -- expected regional averages -- more may fall on higher ground in each region, less near shores and urban centres.

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

Notes
    _______

Snow Thursday-Friday mostly in passing squally snow showers that may merge into longer periods of snow in counties such as Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, parts of Galway and Clare, and that may apply to adjacent parts of other counties at times

Snow Saturday-Monday mostly from organized areas of snow that may sweep in from east or northeast, heavy bands likely from about Meath southwest to Laois and Tipps, also in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare, but this could spread further north and west in other bands crossing Ulster and moving southwest.

If you got heavy snow in the last round, you'll probably get heavy snow in this round, but, if you escaped snow in the last round, you may get at least some snow in this round, and parts of Mayo to Fermanagh could start off this round with heavy snow.

and here
    Thanks for posting my snowfall table update, I am just popping in here to mention that all forecast updates will first appear in my forecast thread, so that any interested readers will know where to look, and it will help the forum stay on track if posts in that thread are kept to a minimum. I think the mods have done a great job getting the forum ready for what is almost certain to be a huge increase in posting here (if that's even theoretically possible).

This is a very dramatic set of charts on the models next four or five days and to put things in perspective, if you had something like the Great Lakes and not the full Atlantic Ocean to your northwest, you could be talking about feet of snow falling next two days, but as things stand, even the Atlantic with its known powers to moderate arctic air won't have time to take all the power out of this outbreak, and I could imagine some higher west-facing parts of your regions getting over a foot of snow just in the first two days.

Then the emphasis swings around to more of a northeast flow pattern and snow from a rather strong low likely to form under the polar vortex as it drifts southwest across Ireland (of all places) on the weekend. Your region could do fairly well for snow out of this too, although the heaviest amounts are likely to transfer to the east and southeast.

Anyway, take care if you have to travel, and expect delays or even some road closures. The front should arrive in Donegal late tonight and in Mayo about sunrise, just to give some idea of the timing here.

typhooner wrote: »

I could pm you a website that will deliver them but not sure if the delivery man will have snow socks on his van so you may not get them in time.

I heard b&q might be selling them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Can't wait to get home on Friday, hopefully I'll be needing the JCB to clear a path in the driveway :D (might be overly optimistic...)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭popflop

Anyone watch the BBC Newsline weather forecast? And did anyone notice the spelling mistake? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Harps wrote: »
    Hopefully the weather forum will be somewhat readable now with Dublin getting its own thread! Inevitably the place will become a mess again over the weekend but this should keep some level of order at least

Nothing to prevent us posting in the other regions to tell you about our snow on sat and sun...

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Are we expecting snow up till christmas eve does anyone know and at the moment roads are wet so will it still stick?

It has started. Over 600 users in here, boards starting to go wonky and slow. I'm like a child on christmas eve, off to bed early so that tomorrow wil come quicker.

Here's hoping for loads of snow from tomorrow into the weekend.

Out.

This first band is the rain and then the onslaught begins...image.ashx?ok=1&country=eu&type=slide&index=1&sat

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

This first band is the rain and then the onslaught begins...image.ashx?ok=1&country=eu&type=slide&index=1&sat
    Does ths not look like it may be moving in a more easterly direction, saying that, i'm not used to reading charts or sat images

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

So does this mean were getting loads of snow for thursday?:confused::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement