Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster (Including Dublin): Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think we should all go to bed now...

best idea anyones had all day! Good night everyone, enjoy the snow when it comes! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Maybe even a Midlands thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Can't understand the negativity myself. This is going to make threads much easier to read. Nice one WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Please mods create a separate thread for Dublin and leave this one for leinster for obvious reasons:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Where's my regional thread then?

Okay, bad joke MTC, here's my real reason for dropping in ... as I expect this to be a super-busy period, and just to save needless posts, please note, any forecast updates from yours truly will be first posted in the forecast thread. If you don't see a new post there, it means there has not been an update somewhere else, so you don't have to go looking for one (not that I'm saying there won't be forecast updates by the thousands from many other sources).

I hope to deputize one or two trusty souls to make sure we always have eyes on the sky in this difficult period. PM me if you're interested in that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

dexter647 wrote: »
    Please mods create a separate thread for Dublin and leave this one for leinster for obvious reasons:rolleyes:

No more threads please,this is suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking at MTC's latest masterpeice it looks like the end of days for leinster is on hold until Sundayish, time to get some last minute shopping in then!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Supercell wrote: »
    Looking at MTC's latest masterpeice it looks like the end of days for leinster is on hold until Sundayish, time to get some last minute shopping in then!

maybe for dublin,but for the rest of leinster he's giving a fair bit of snow early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

maybe for dublin,but for the rest of leinster he's giving a fair bit of snow early on.

Where is this 'rest of leinster' that you speak of?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    The thread is new but already has a out break of DUBLINCENTREOFTHEUNIVERSEitis :mad:

Dublin has a population of 1.6 million people, what is the population of the rest of Leinster. Due to the sheer size of the place it's bloody obvious why Dublin gets most of the comments. Why can't people outside "the pale" understand this? It has nothing to do with us Dubs showing arrogance towards people from the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

I don't like this regional divide at all. Unity is what we need in these hard times.
    Still, nothing to stop me reading and posting in the other regions....or is there? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

OK should i be panic buying in the supermarket on Thursday/Friday. :p

I have a delivery of home heating oil planned for nxt week, should I bring it forward to Thursday/Friday of this week?

bring it forward to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

TheTwiz wrote: »
    Dublin has a population of 1.6 million people, what is the population of the rest of Leinster. Due to the sheer size of the place it's bloody obvious why Dublin gets most of the comments. Why can't people outside "the pale" understand this? It has nothing to do with us Dubs showing arrogance towards people from the country

i'm not complaining about arrogance or anything, just that with that many people in dublin, the rest of leinster won't get a look in in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

i'm not complaining about arrogance or anything, just that with that many people in dublin, the rest of leinster won't get a look in in this thread.

You could be right but I for one am very interested in what happens inland in Leinster and two weeks ago we were all watching north leinster. I am in Dublin but I don't think we believe we are going to get our very own snow cloud!!!!

Can't we all just get along.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

With regards to the regional threads issue I'm just hoping I don't miss any posts or charts that the guys in the know may post in the other threads :(

Yeah I suppose lets show some unity here so,It always good to know how your capital city is getting on in these cold spells so lets unite then.

I mean we're all fortunate not to be in Munster/or connacht so thats one thing we have in common!,bring on the snow!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I mean we're all fortunate not to be in Munster/or connacht so thats one thing we have in common!,bring on the snow!

At least we will not hear about the rain Cork will get! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Fantastic. . . A pale thread. Looks like if you live in the rest of leinster you don't have a say. . . I know what the title says but you can be pretty sure that this will be a thread entirely about dublin and its immediate surrounding area. . . :rolleyes:

There's more to Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Listening to the forecast this morning from Met Eireann - a carbon copy of the forecast on the website, I would think the south east might e one of the worst affected areas.

Friday: "parts of the east and south may see more significant snowfall from showers"

Then: the focus for snowfall is likely to transfer to southern and, eventually, eastern counties as the weekend progresses.

Not looking good as David Rogers talked about disruption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What do you mean "wont get a look in"? Do you think the mods are going to delete your posts or something? How would you get less of a "look in" than you would in a national thread?

Min wrote: »
    Listening to the forecast this morning from Met Eireann - a carbon copy of the forecast on the website, I would think the south east might e one of the worst affected areas.

Friday: "parts of the east and south may see more significant snowfall from showers"

Then: the focus for snowfall is likely to transfer to southern and, eventually, eastern counties as the weekend progresses.

Not looking good as David Rogers talked about disruption.
    David is turning out to be a male Eveylyn Cusack :D

Your area in my opinion is at severe risk of a lot of snow min over the weekend so get prepared today if you can take the time.
    You have 2 problems,well inland and height.
    I feel snow banding in the southeast could be strong when winds come in off the sea there.

David is turning out to be a male Eveylyn Cusack :D

Your area in my opinion is at severe risk of a lot of snow min over the weekend so get prepared today if you can take the time.
    You have 2 problems,well inland and height.
    I feel snow banding in the southeast could be strong when winds come in off the sea there.

That is my concern, is there likely to be much snow here by Saturday morning, have a vet coming out and it might be best to cancel - he only has an ordinary car...not my usual vet.

I got a load of food in yesterday, can survive till the new year, just need my turkey delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Enough guys..I don't want to be wading through moany posts for the next week or so...Dublin is in Leinster - geographical fact. Get over it. Four provinces = four threads. One national thread for forecast and charts...Makes perfect sense to me. You can dip in and out of where you're interested in.

Min wrote: »
    That is my concern, is there likely to be much snow here by Saturday morning, have a vet coming out and it might be best to cancel - he only has an ordinary car...not my usual vet.

I got a load of food in yesterday, can survive till the new year, just need my turkey delivered.
    It's a very difficult one unfortunately.
    I can't rule out you'll have very little either,just that theres a significant risk of lots.
    It's the most nowcast situation ever.
    I wouldn't cancel the vet,that can be done on the day if necessary as it might be sunday before you get the works,then again it might be earlier.
    I'll look at it properly later.
    I'm in the same game as you so only reading and updating by phone at the moment when I get the chance :)

Thanks BB, I appreciate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We got 14" in Castledermot (7 miles from Carlow) with the last dumping.
    Shaded fields still have a few inches on them that still hasn't thawed.
    My front garden still has 3 foot piles of hardpacked snow since I dug out the car last week.
    Surely we couldn't have a repeat performance of that magnitude ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

UK issuing weather warnings for extreme cold with snow and ice.Here's a pic of the sea frozen in Kent in 1963.

article-1338191-02F85840000005DC-767_634x446.jpg

I have a pic somewhere of The Slaney frozen over in Enniscorthy somewhere-must dig it out and post it.If we get that kind of weather the country will grind to a halt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Impression I get from the forecasts is that north and west is at risk for the heaviest snow at the start and then the risks shift to south and east later on. Therefore the midlands snow shield will act as a pivot for all this action and will receive nothing :rolleyes:. Seriously though, it seems that we will only know the risk areas a few hours in advance and there could be organised bands of snow at any time anywhere over the next few days. As MT says, the models have trouble with this scenario because it is so rare- there arent comparisons to work on from recent years, with low pressure cells over and circulation around ireland in such cold air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Enough guys..I don't want to be wading through moany posts for the next week or so...Dublin is in Leinster - geographical fact. Get over it. Four provinces = four threads. One national thread for forecast and charts...Makes perfect sense to me. You can dip in and out of where you're interested in.

Get it right :P Four Provinces = Three threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement