Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster (Including Dublin): Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I don't see the appeal of snow. It seems you can't enjoy weather without loving snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Hi guys first time posting...just wondering I've an exam at 9am Friday morning in town...my last one ever so very important....just wondering, hearing all the hype about the snow coming back, what are the chances of heavy snow/ice that the roads will be bad and could there be a disruption in public transport??? I'm living in Maynooth

Also on a side note I love snow and after half 11 on Friday I hope it buckets down for xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I don't see the appeal of snow.
    Simple - it's white and fluffy and pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

al_E_kat wrote: »
    just wondering, hearing all the hype about the snow coming back, what are the chances of heavy snow/ice that the roads will be bad and could there be a disruption in public transport??? I'm living in Maynooth

I doubt there will be any significant disruption, therefore the exams won't be cancelled. I'd opt for an earlier train into town though if I were you.

Winger_PL wrote: »
    I doubt there will be any significant disruption, therefore the exams won't be cancelled. I'd opt for an earlier train into town though if I were you.

Ha never even thought about the exam being cancelled....I tend to get the bus though.... sure I'll just go for an express bus at like 7am...theres 24 hour library space I can cram in there if I'm way too early! Thanks for the speedy reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

5263555834_9c73a3af31.jpg
    Polar Low by wrathfarnham, on Flickr

Things already deteriorating here in Glasnevin, this was a bar of Dairy Milk just an hour ago!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

All set for raintoday.co.uk again.

Zoom in 3 times.
    Pan left 4 times.
    Pan down 4 times.

Hello Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

al_E_kat wrote: »
    Ha never even thought about the exam being cancelled....I tend to get the bus though.... sure I'll just go for an express bus at like 7am...theres 24 hour library space I can cram in there if I'm way too early! Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Or u could just go in thursday evening ?... check for updates 2moro afternoon.

OH and welcome to boards!

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    All set for raintoday.co.uk again.

Zoom in 3 times.
    Pan left 4 times.
    Pan down 4 times.

Hello Carlow.

Anyone opting for the premium version for this event?...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Is the Munster and Connaught thread full of people giving out about Cork and Galway people monopolising it? :D

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Or u could just go in thursday evening ?... check for updates 2moro afternoon.

OH and welcome to boards!

That's plan B

And cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I don't think I could face the snow/ice again (so soon after our last lot) :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

angel01 wrote: »
    I don't think I could face the snow/ice again (so soon after our last lot) :eek::eek:

I'm putting the toboggan in the back of the car tonight, you should NEVER miss a good sledging opportunity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

UK forecasters are getting very excited

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Is this like the situation we had a few weeks ago where streamers would sit off the east coast and push in over the east coast ocassionally. How does the wind affect this senario ?

For most of the east coast whether the wind is blowing NNE,NE,E,SE,SSE it'll simply be a case of pot luck whether you are under a streamer. From what I understand from previous discussions on this, the snow clouds forming in the irish sea quickly form into lines as they head towards the coast due to something akin to slipstreaming. ie. the cloud forming behind the one in front drifts left or right and tucks in behind the cloud in front for aerodynamic reasons or somesuch. So you end up with stripes of cloud cover. eg 10 mile wide snow streamer, 10 miles wide gap, another 10 mile wide streamer, another 10 mile gap. I say pot luck because there is no reason to think that just because you were under a streamer today means you'll be under one tomorrow or visa versa.

However, when the east wind has a northerly component then a 20-30 mile swathe of the east coast will know to expect zero snow as long as the wind continues to blow from that direction. This is the isle of man shadow which literally acts like it sounds. Look at a chart and see the forecasted wind direction from the NE ENE etc and draw a line in that direction from the isle of man to the east coast. Thats the 20-30km swathe of east coast that wont get snow as long as the wind is coming from that direction.

Bray was unlucky on both counts after Sun 29th of November. For the rest of that week while the rest of Leinster got pummeled with snow we recieved a pathetic few 4 or 5 minute hail/grauple showers. First we were in a gap between streamers for several days on the trot which was terribly bad luck and than the last two days of the falling snow we were under the isle of man shadow instead.

Dyflin wrote: »
    I'm putting the toboggan in the back of the car tonight, you should NEVER miss a good sledging opportunity :pac:

I live in Dublin 15 and I use the bus, it was so icy that I wouldn't have made it home last Friday evening without a trip to A&E :eek: had to get my Dad to drop me home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Calibos wrote: »
    For most of the east coast whether the wind is blowing NNE,NE,E,SE,SSE it'll simply be a case of pot luck whether you are under a streamer. From what I understand from previous discussions on this, the snow clouds forming in the irish sea quickly form into lines as they head towards the coast due to something akin to slipstreaming. ie. the cloud forming behind the one in front drifts left or right and tucks in behind the cloud in front for aerodynamic reasons or somesuch. So you end up with stripes of cloud cover. eg 10 mile wide snow streamer, 10 miles wide gap, another 10 mile wide streamer, another 10 mile gap. I say pot luck because there is no reason to think that just because you were under a streamer today means you'll be under one tomorrow or visa versa.

However, when the east wind has a northerly component then a 20-30 mile swathe of the east coast will know to expect zero snow as long as the wind continues to blow from that direction. This is the isle of man shadow which literally acts like it sounds. Look at a chart and see the forecasted wind direction from the NE ENE etc and draw a line in that direction from the isle of man to the east coast. Thats the 20-30km swathe of east coast that wont get snow as long as the wind is coming from that direction.

Bray was unlucky on both counts after Sun 29th of November. For the rest of that week while the rest of Leinster got pummeled with snow we recieved a pathetic few 4 or 5 minute hail/grauple showers. First we were in a gap between streamers for several days on the trot which was terribly bad luck and than the last two days of the falling snow we were under the isle of man shadow instead.

Thats interesting
    I live in West Wicklow and we got hammered with snow. I always wondered as we live to the west of the wicklow mountains that we are always likely to get more snow because if the cloud comes from the east it has to go over the mountains to get to us therefore pushing the clouds higher and making more snow possible. But then again others in the east got plenty of snow that didnt travel over a mountain so maybe im wrong :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

We had a relatively heavy shower of drizzle in Dublin 2 between 1pm and 2pm. I know this is a simplistic view but it is correct to say that the type of shower that just fell would fall as snow on say Friday/Saturday etc if it is considerably colder or are there other factors to be taken into account.

Any info would be appreciated.

Vudgie wrote: »
    We had a relatively heavy shower of drizzle in Dublin 2 between 1pm and 2pm. I know this is a simplistic view but it is correct to say that the type of shower that just fell would fall as snow on say Friday/Saturday etc if it is considerably colder or are there other factors to be taken into account.

Any info would be appreciated.

ye u'd want temps to be 2 o C or less... and dew points to be 0 o C or less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Thanks for your help.

Well I think the temps and dew points are guaranteed so that is obviously the only missing piece of the jigsaw given that that the precipitation is obviously there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Thats interesting
    I live in West Wicklow and we got hammered with snow. I always wondered as we live to the west of the wicklow mountains that we are always likely to get more snow because if the cloud comes from the east it has to go over the mountains to get to us therefore pushing the clouds higher and making more snow possible. But then again others in the east got plenty of snow that didnt travel over a mountain so maybe im wrong :cool:

So did Bray get hammered by snow. Just not necessarily on the shore line. Still lying here. In the last batch of snow it came in over the sea from the NE ( if you watched the radar) & dumped. If the winds are northerly the tend to scoot on down the coast. If you look out to the sea you can sea pink fluffy clouds going down. Just depends what way they are blowing & what the dps are. A dp a mile away can be very different . Trogs weather station is down at the sea. The NRA weather station is about a km in & the DPs often vary by a degree or so. Heres to more snow anyway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I live in Dublin 15 and I use the bus, it was so icy that I wouldn't have made it home last Friday evening without a trip to A&E :eek: had to get my Dad to drop me home!!

when weird weather happens, we in D15 seem to always get a good dose of it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eoinbergin

Let me know if i have this right for dublin from noon thursday the temp will start to drop and continue to drop sub zero including dew points which would range from 0 to -5 and ground temps from 0 to -7 with strong gusty winds. The wind should calm alittle on saturday and sunday with expected 1-2cm of snow falling both days could be prefect conditions for a blizzard except for the low precipitation ...if anyone thinks any different let me know it would be good to get a discussion going

when weird weather happens, we in D15 seem to always get a good dose of it :rolleyes:

Still quite a bit of ice around where I live, much better than before though!

lucy2010 wrote: »
    So did Bray get hammered by snow. Just not necessarily on the shore line. Still lying here. In the last batch of snow it came in over the sea from the NE ( if you watched the radar) & dumped. If the winds are northerly the tend to scoot on down the coast. If you look out to the sea you can sea pink fluffy clouds going down. Just depends what way they are blowing & what the dps are. A dp a mile away can be very different . Trogs weather station is down at the sea. The NRA weather station is about a km in & the DPs often vary by a degree or so. Heres to more snow anyway ...

Lucy, did you get anything significant after the big showers on the Saturday and Sunday Night though. I think the difference might be that what you got didn't thaw. Its not so much that just on the other side of town got more snow than the seafront, just that none of it thawed and each new shower no matter how pathetic was a topup for you while basically starting from scratch each time for me. So Fridays inch stuck for you...thawed by saturday morning down here. Saturdays and Sunday nights 1.5+2 stuck for you thawed by Tuesday for me. All the 2-3mm 5 minute showers during the week stuck for you and didn't stick for me and finally Wednesdays 1 inch of hail/graupel stuck for you and turned to slush for me by Thurdsay

So you end up with 5-6 inches by midweek while the most I had lying at any one time was about 3inches max on Monday Morning.

Even yours was in the hapenny place compared to areas in Dublin and Wicklow literally 5 minutes up/down the road which got 12-16 inches.

Even without the more rapid thaw because of being right by the shore, had we been under the streamers the whole week like other places and got 12 inches there never would have been a full thaw even down here. ie. I might have been down to 4 or 5 on the seafront by Thursday while you would still have had most of your foot till last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Still quite a bit of ice around where I live, much better than before though!

yep - i noticed estates up in clonee/ongar that are sheltered seem to be still well iced. Corduff etc is normal again (NORMAL :))

drove by a hugh lake in cavan sunday afternoon going to a match and it was completely iced over. i mean completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiosabas

With the rapid change in temp on Thursday, what are the chances of thunderstorms?

Tiosabas wrote: »
    With the rapid change in temp on Thursday, what are the chances of thunderstorms?

Depends on the CAPe values ... but id say the NW is looking for thundersnow... dunno about us , unless the streamer start again and be quite active!

HOPEFULLY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Calibos wrote: »
    Lucy, did you get anything significant after the big showers on the Saturday and Sunday Night though. I think the difference might be that what you got didn't thaw. Its not so much that just on the other side of town got more snow than the seafront, just that none of it thawed and each new shower no matter how pathetic was a topup for you while basically starting from scratch each time for me. So Fridays inch stuck for you...thawed by saturday morning down here. Saturdays and Sunday nights 1.5+2 stuck for you thawed by Tuesday for me. All the 2-3mm 5 minute showers during the week stuck for you and didn't stick for me and finally Wednesdays 1 inch of hail/graupel stuck for you and turned to slush for me by Thurdsay

So you end up with 5-6 inches by midweek while the most I had lying at any one time was about 3inches max on Monday Morning.

Even yours was in the hapenny place compared to areas in Dublin and Wicklow literally 5 minutes up/down the road which got 12-16 inches.

Even without the more rapid thaw because of being right by the shore, had we been under the streamers the whole week like other places and got 12 inches there never would have been a full thaw even down here. ie. I might have been down to 4 or 5 on the seafront by Thursday while you would still have had most of your foot till last weekend.

We had 11 inches on the drive on the Thursday ; 17 in the back garden . After day 3( monday) we gave up clearing it. But it snowed every day from the Friday onwards. The council cleared the schools road off the boghall on the tuesday - a further 7 inches fell on this - hence why the schools were closed. I never in my life ever remember roads in Bray being closed.... especially in the town. We finally got our car out last thursday & had to dig it out - thats almost 2 weeks after the first snow late on the Friday night .Ice remains on the road outside. Bizarre considering +5 temps..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

First post here too.Just thought I'd introduce myself as I've been a long time lurker on these fab weather threads.I'd also like to say a huge thanks to all the experts and almost experts,for the detail and lots of things I've learnt.Love the craic to.i've nothing really valuable to give to you all though:(But I live in Greystones ,and can see the sea clearly so i certainly can do reports.Am really looking forward to the next few days with ye all.Love love the photos too.Can't get those dam clampon things anywhere though..most annoying.Have 4 pints of cream 4 the Irish coffees,so i'm ready:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement