Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster (Including Dublin): Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Welcome to the party Snowbabe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

snowbabe wrote: »
    First post here too.Just thought I'd introduce myself as I've been a long time lurker on these fab weather threads.I'd also like to say a huge thanks to all the experts and almost experts,for the detail and lots of things I've learnt.Love the craic to.i've nothing really valuable to give to you all though:(But I live in Greystones ,and can see the sea clearly so i certainly can do reports.Am really looking forward to the next few days with ye all.Love love the photos too.Can't get those dam clampon things anywhere though..most annoying.Have 4 pints of cream 4 the Irish coffees,so i'm ready:D

Welcomes... :)
    From greystones u should hav a nice view if the streamers start up again, i bet u had the perfect spot for the thunderstorms that we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

yep,was just amazing,could see them rolling in,and of course the clouds sitting there waiting before to come in.Most magnifent colour of clouds.Would love to have been able to take photos and post them 4 u.Sure,I might just learn to do that...will get my little grl to show me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

TheTwiz wrote: »
    Dublin has a population of 1.6 million people, what is the population of the rest of Leinster. Due to the sheer size of the place it's bloody obvious why Dublin gets most of the comments. Why can't people outside "the pale" understand this? It has nothing to do with us Dubs showing arrogance towards people from the country

Eh no it doesnt.
    If you are going to spout numbers at least get them correct! You may not be "showing arrogance" but you are certainly showing ignorance of the facts.

Dublin City: 505,739
    Total Urban area: 1,045,769
    County Dublin: 1,186,159

By comparison:
    Leinster (total): 2.3million

The "Dublin pop of 1.6 Million" figure is often spouted by people to overemphasise the size of Dublin and is based on a vague area idea known as "The Greater Dublin Area" which (pending your definition, its not an actual county or defined place) includes 3 other counties in Leinster; Kildare, Meath and Wicklow. You mention "sheer size" of Dublin, you are aware that each of these "throwaway", additional counties are infact larger than Dublin county right?

Ironically you are using it to diminish the relevance of these other places but can only quote the figure by pooling them into what you call "Dublin".

So no, "Dublin" (City or even the entire County) does not have a population of 1.6million, it has a pop of just over 1m in a province of 2.3m. Its the single largest concentration of people, but it still doesnt even reach 50% of the total in the province.. unless of course you assimilate the surrounding counties and slap "Dublin" on them, as per the GDA figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

lucy2010 wrote: »
    We had 11 inches on the drive on the Thursday ; 17 in the back garden . After day 3( monday) we gave up clearing it. But it snowed every day from the Friday onwards. The council cleared the schools road off the boghall on the tuesday - a further 7 inches fell on this - hence why the schools were closed. I never in my life ever remember roads in Bray being closed.... especially in the town. We finally got our car out last thursday & had to dig it out - thats almost 2 weeks after the first snow late on the Friday night .Ice remains on the road outside. Bizarre considering +5 temps..

Jaysus! Makes feel even more robbed. At least I could console myself that at least Greystones was on the other side of a mountain but now to realise that a mile up the road, not only was there no thaw but actually more heavy showers too!! The edge of the streamers must literally have been over the cross on Bray head with you just on the edge of it up near the Boghall and us just a tiny bit north of you getting some of your stuff blowing across in the wind for the odd 5 minutes. Its mad the difference just within a single townland :D

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Flying from Dublin -> London on Friday morning and London -> Dublin on Monday not that fussed if i'm stranded in either but would like to know, chances of flying out from either places?

As i read, it seems to be just the west that is going to get hit, and not so much Dublin/the uk? or am i wrong:D
    Chances are good I'd say
    Snow clearing if theres any at heathrow is very good and at Dublin is much improved.
    Last spell just gone out,the most dublin airport closed for was a few hours at a time.

As regards who is going to be hit-yes you are wrong...
    Read some more of the threads...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Yawn , can we PLEASE have one national thread ,these spats are really tiresome !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

TheTwiz, Matt Simis, can ye both fe*k off to After Hours or some other forum with your geopolitical row please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

doesnt look as bad as we feared here
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

First post in the weather forums as i dont have anything weather related to say but i think its time for the mods to start banning people if they keep on with this non weather related nonsense as its getting beyond a joke. Mods, feel free to delete this post when the off topic stuff is curtailed :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

DeadParrot wrote: »
    doesnt look as bad as we feared here
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

Come Friday night it looks like we are about to be clouted from the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Dyflin wrote: »
    Come Friday night it looks like we are about to be clouted from the west!

no change there, it happens every summer around semi final time

Here's what the other Scandaholigan's think

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Calibos wrote: »
    Jaysus! Makes feel even more robbed. At least I could console myself that at least Greystones was on the other side of a mountain but now to realise that a mile up the road, not only was there no thaw but actually more heavy showers too!! The edge of the streamers must literally have been over the cross on Bray head with you just on the edge of it up near the Boghall and us just a tiny bit north of you getting some of your stuff blowing across in the wind for the odd 5 minutes. Its mad the difference just within a single townland :D

I think the difference was more to do with the temperature right by the sea. We had much the same in terms of precipitation here but a lot of it melted on impact and didn't stick when the winds went East. Certainly here we had many further heavy and prolonged showers through the week after the initial few inches, the problem was just that is wasn't sticking. Whereas up near Boghall road the temperature would have been that much colder and sufficiant for nearly all of what fell to stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

[IMG][/img]low2i.png

We really have to keep an eye on this low. We could get a right pasteing here on the east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Lads I was in the National thread for the severe weather & guess what corkonians are back with their most asked question ever!..
    "will their be snow in Cork"?,Will their be snow in Cork City"?,"will their be snow in Middleton"?....lol

My question to them "Do ye not know how to read forecasts in cork"? haha

Extremely mild out now here in the miderlands 8degrees..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Kippure wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]low2i.png

We really have to keep an eye on this low. We could get a right pasteing here on the east coast
    What would be the difference in precipitation amounts between whether this was right over us or 200km away over southern England?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Anybody know what the accumulation predictions for snow around the Offaly-Kildare border? Only in from college and havin had a chance to sift through the other threads.

Getting very excited now about this event. Even if we don't get huge amounts of snow here im sure somewhere else will. Its nearly more exciting following the predictions on here and looking at the charts and models even if i dont understand much about it.

I seen MT and irishweatheronline got a mention in the star today fair play to them they are doing a super job. Because of them and the other's on Boards their are 100's of new weather fanatics across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

demakinz wrote: »
    Anybody know what the accumulation predictions for snow around the Offaly-Kildare border? Only in from college and havin had a chance to sift through the other threads.

Getting very excited now about this event. Even if we don't get huge amounts of snow here im sure somewhere else will. Its nearly more exciting following the predictions on here and looking at the charts and models even if i dont understand much about it.

I seen MT and irishweatheronline got a mention in the star today fair play to them they are doing a super job. Because of them and the other's on Boards their are 100's of new weather fanatics across the country.

Really well done to MT & Irish Weather congrats,Demakinz I aint an expert but I hear its all kicking off tomorrow evening & although it will be a mild morning (8degrees) this will plummet very fast and we will then see some nice snow that night/friday and maybe the weekend!,im in the midlands so fingers crossed we see lots eh?!:D

• Advertisement

Mmcd wrote: »
    What would be the difference in precipitation amounts between whether this was right over us or 200km away over southern England?

Hard to tell. But if it was right over us , probally continous snow fall. If it was 200 miles to are east, The wind would be from the east, Snow showers or streamers coming in off the irish sea, Just like the last cold spell.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Saturday Midnight. -8 in the Scottish mountains, and -12 in Limerick. :D

ukmintemp.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Kippure wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]low2i.png

I think the coastal counties of Kilkenny, Carlow, Kildare, Laois and so on would get plenty with that low.

Well the east coast in forecasts kinda ignore these inland counties can be badly affected.

Min wrote: »
    I think the coastal counties of Kilkenny, Carlow, Kildare, Laois and so on would get plenty with that low.

Well the east coast in forecasts kinda ignore these inland counties can be badly affected.

What could happen is it would throw slow moving rotating showers of snow on to the east coast. Leaving a nice cover in places.

Anyway, apparently the 12z is a none runner,in other words bin it. I await the 18z.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I havent been keeping up with the news on the snow for the past 3 days due to college assignments but just saw the report on RTE news and it seems we wont get much snow if at all in the east till Monday? Is this correct? Sounds like a mainly west and north event judging by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I know nothing about weather but the one thing i have learned from reading there threads is that rte know less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hammy_irl

racso1975 wrote: »
    I know nothing about weather but the one thing i have learned from reading there threads is that rte know less

Dont count your chickens!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    I havent been keeping up with the news on the snow for the past 3 days due to college assignments but just saw the report on RTE news and it seems we wont get much snow if at all in the east till Monday? Is this correct? Sounds like a mainly west and north event judging by RTE.

Wrong, ECM and UKM progg a snow storm low to move through late Friday and during Saturday followed by easterlies and heavy snow showers.

If 0z backs up this there will be severe warnings issued during tomorrow for potentially large falls of snow of between 10-30cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Wrong, ECM and UKM progg a snow storm low to move through late Friday and during Saturday followed by easterlies and heavy snow showers.

If 0z backs up this there will be severe warnings issued during tomorrow for potentially large falls of snow of between 10-30cm.

thanks weather check. a bit of sense goes a long way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Can anyone explain the 0z etc type models? I've learnt alot but this I haven't!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement