Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7up on Ice: Disappointed

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Just back from a day out, in town, intended to be fun filled day at the ice rink on Arnotts rooftop.

All I can say it was anything but. We booked in advance and made our way there. Sadly, I was unaware in this process and it wasn't until our group were actually out skating that we realised that the 'ice' was actually this artificial 'xtraice'. We gave it the benefit of the doubt for a couple of minutes before we quickly realised that this 'xtraice' or plastic as it might be called elsewhere, is actually a load of ****. Movement is awful on it...

We got off (5 mins into the session) and complained that there was no clear indication that the rink isn't actually ice. The woman, who turned out to be the manager, pointed our attention to an A4 sized piece of paper, stuck to a wall off to the side, that stated that the rink was not, in fact, ice.
    "Thanks btw! Don't know how I missed that one...":confused:

Anyway, we asked politely for a refund or alternatively a ticket to the RDS ICE rink (same company) and we were told no. People have different views on those kind of consumer issues/compensation so I will say no more about that.

This is just a piece of advice to anyone looking to skate on ice or have an experience in someway similar to skating on ice this Christmas; I think you would be better served by cello-taping two Teflon frying pans to your feet and trying to run around on a gravelly surface while holding a really heavy air conditioner pointed at your face, than trying to skate on 'xtraice' this December hoping for an authentic experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dyl10 wrote: »
    Just back from a day out, in town, intended to be fun filled day at the ice rink on Arnotts rooftop.

All I can say it was anything but. We booked in advance and made our way there. Sadly, I was unaware in this process and it wasn't until our group were actually out skating that we realised that the 'ice' was actually this artificial 'xtraice'.

Fell a bit flat, eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Sorry to hear that OP, it's safe to say you Arnott happy with the promotion of the rink before you booked to attend it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rds is plastic too fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

rds is plastic too fyi

Been to both in the last few weeks.
    Arnott's was like trying to skate on a plastic sheet, was impossible - and yes i can iceskate on ice.

RDS is ice.

My one complaint is that there not smoothing off the ice with a machine in RDS, but rather pushing lose ice(dry mush :confused:) off the surface after each session. Groves from previous sessions are in the ice and the uneven surface is harder to skate on. Maybe its because i went late in the evening, but did anyone else think that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

as far as i know they are both plastic, the rds one is just a far superior copy!
    Although I think it is real ice this year? It gets so confusing! I was told it is synthetic ice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

You don't get a wet arse falling on plastic with coolers underneath last time i checked :) just my two pence.

you do get wet on synthetic ice, the wetness is to reduce drag, it just matters the quality of the stuff as to whether you will! I was jsut told it is by skaters as they complained it was synthetic there as and it would dull their blades faster, was jsut told dundrum was the only place with real ice. But anyway it doesnt matter, its all the same to you and me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it true they had to close the Arnotts one during the bad weather due to actual ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it true they had to close the Arnotts one during the bad weather due to actual ice?

Haha if that's true..that is hillarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

This does beg the question why the companies are allowed to call it ice skating when there is no ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There is an ice rink at The Point if its any help to try out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

gurramok wrote: »

With real ice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

I was in RDS today and it is real ice. They even have a Zamboni to clean it which makes some difference. I wouldnt go near the arnots one though. I would be P'issed if i paid money and turned up to find id been duped by false advertisment.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭orionm_73

Just heard an ad on the radio for this for the first time this morning. Clearly says its not real ice... perhaps too many people were complaining. Used it myself a week ago and tbh having only ever skated once, about 20 yrs ago, I found it ok. I did notice at the ticket desk in Arnotts a sign saying that experienced skaters might have to adjust to it. Perhaps they need to make it more obvious that it isnt real ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gurramok wrote: »

There's not a snowballs chance in hell I'd go ice skating, but I heard (from my daughter) that the rink at The Point was the best one she's visited yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ktmweedo

same i went saturday 18th just gone and after looking foward to it for 2 weeks i done 2 laps and left not only all of us 6 people left but also 3 and 4 familys and it was like doing the splits when we went to move. the staf in the hut where you hand in skates were giving out because everybody was giving out to them but it was the first line of inquiry with staff and if the organisantion had implemented rules for complaints the staff would also not have to us an agressive tone at us customers. because as we got the lift back to arnotts we told people not 2 buy the tickets due to been to hard to skate and was sh,,. they just left which in turn is lost money for 7up

Advertisement