Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster: Cold spell and snow discussion (15/12/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well i said to the kids all last winter oh we're supposed to get snow in the next couple of days and nothing came until january. ONE DAY we got snow. they still a little put out by last winter, so for my sanity and for the kids i need snow. really dont want to see kids angry and upset with me:(

and i was up in dublin over the weekend, snow mound every where. seriously i need to see snow

• Registered Users Posts: 35 montavista

Ali Babba wrote: »
    Are we going to get any snow in Cork this time?:o

Check the met eireann site Ireland & Europe - Infra Red Satellite link and you will see what is approaching the North Coast and will track down through the country... http://www.met.ie/sat/euro-ir.asp
    Looks like we are in for a bad / good weekend of snow, depending on your tastes and needs.

ohhhhhh that pretty:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

leahyl wrote: »
    The Munster thread will be the longest either way:D! (yes there are still people from Munster reading this thread!)

And i'll be reading yours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I've been studying all the charts and have come up with my own forecast chart for the country, especially Cork as I know how much you like snow.

It took me ages to make, hope you guys like it.

Forecast.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I don’t know why a lot of people want snow – with snow comes dangerous icy road conditions, water supply disruption, road closures, public transport disruption and cancelations. Especially around Christmas time when a lot of people get on the road to travel around the country.

It is nice to look at, granted. But everything else about it is a pain in the arse. I really don’t get why so many people enjoy the snow, I dread it and hope we get none in Cork city, hope the force field holds up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

TheZohan wrote: »
    I've been studying all the charts and have come up with my own forecast chart for the country, especially Cork as I know how much you like snow.

Forecast.jpg

OMG :mad:............:P very witty!

Forecast.jpg

hard not to see the funny side in that. well done.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Forecast.jpg

It seems our models are in agreement. :DOfficial Cú Giobach forcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 montavista

Its is a bit too technical, could you dumb it down a bit please.... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

murphym7 wrote: »
    I know why a lot of people want snow – with snow comes fun. Especially around Christmas time when a lot of people get on the road to skid around the country.

It is nice to look at, granted. But everything else about it is just plain wonderful. I really get why so many people enjoy the snow, I love it and hope we get loads in Cork city, hope the force is with us!!

Fixed your post :)

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Fixed your post :)

Fantastic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Nothing in cork. It's 4.4 degrees at the custom house here in cork. Very beneign altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Nothing in cork. It's 4.4 degrees at the custom house here in cork. Very beneign altogether.

I'll beat that one, in Blackrock, a balmy 6.1°C ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Ah tis just the calm before the storm :D Really hoping for a massive snowfall on Sunday night, lasting until christmas :)

4oC on the northside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

with snow comes
    dangerous icy road conditions,

Conditions on the main roads and motorways on Monday13th December in the morning were more dangerous than the previous two weeks, yet we had no snow at all :eek: No road or motorway I traveled had been salted and yes, road conditions were wet enough for salt to have been effective in presenting icing.
    water supply disruption,

County councils having a leaky distribution system does not generally help. Housing developments having water mains not burried deep enough and inadequate stop cock installations leading to freezing and of course people leaving taps running doesn't help either. But all this can happen without the snow ;)
    road closures,

Inevitible with the current levels of response to weather conditions. But with proper planning there is no reason why Ireland couldn't be like every other country that experiences snow fall and manages to keep both roads and paths open. There are half a million people unemployed who would love a shot at clearing some snow I'm sure. Wouldn't be beyond the government to introduce a scheme to allow this to happen. Levy the banks or reduce the level of support to them to allow this to be funded.
    public transport disruption and cancelations.

See my above point and my first point :)

It is nice to look at, granted. But everything else about it is a pain in the arse. I really don’t get why so many people enjoy the snow, I dread it and hope we get none in Cork city, hope the force field holds up!![/QUOTE]

Uh oh, some one has activated the snow shield. Quick, someone turn it off before its too late :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

*hits the snow shield self-destruct button* :P
    Snow is good. . . .
    Snow is good. . . .
    Snow is good. . . .
    Snow is good. . . .
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Gerald Fleming was on with Pat Kenny today and basically said bitterly cold tomorrow afternoon. Some snow in the north and little bits of the country sticking into the Atlantic. Returning to mild December conditions next week. Nothing to see here.

Reading the various Boards threads and Irish Weather Online you would think it is going to be a once in a generation snow fall. Phrases like "Artic Hurricane" conjur up images from The Day after Tomorrow.

Now either Met Eireann have been instructed to down play things to prevent mass panic and looting or some people on here are going to be VERY disappointed when they open the curtains on on Christmas Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

Gerald Fleming was on with Pat Kenny today and basically said bitterly cold tomorrow afternoon. Some snow in the north and little bits of the country sticking into the Atlantic. Returning to mild December conditions next week. Nothing to see here.

Reading the various Boards threads and Irish Weather Online you would think it is going to be a once in a generation snow fall. Phrases like "Artic Hurricane" conjur up images from The Day after Tomorrow.

Now either Met Eireann have been instructed to down play things to prevent mass panic and looting or some people on here are going to be VERY disappointed when they open the curtains on on Christmas Morning.
    The presenters might be taking it handy on rte but ME are treating this very seriously

Weather Advisory

Weather Advisory for severe cold weather and snow over the coming days.

Very cold wintry weather will develop across Ireland during Thursday, sweeping down from the north, and leaving a severe frost and ice on Thursday night. Through Friday and the weekend, afternoon temperatures will be in the range zero to plus 3 C, with night time temperatures typically minus 3 to minus 8 C., with widespread frost and ice. Snow is expected to return. Through Thursday, Friday and Saturday this will be mainly over the north and west, but some falls of snow will occur elsewhere too, with a more widespread mix of rain and snow following for Sunday and Monday.

Regular updates will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

touts wrote: »

You probably go around telling young children Santa doesn't exist too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I wouldnt agree with you, you wont see much from Thur But fri night to Tuesday is not looking bad for snow, still very hard to pin down but here are some charts for a rough idea these are just out of the updated GFS RUN and these are only a rough idea. For newbies pink is snow:)

Friday night into Sat morn

prectypeuktopo.png

Saturday

prectypeuktopo.png

Monday

prectypeuktopo.png
    I never trust that site when it comes to predicting snow.

touts wrote: »
    Phrases like "Artic Hurricane" conjur up images from The Day after Tomorrow..

This event was never a major snow event, it's a major freeze event and maybe unique to Ireland.

Conditions for snow, no snow, major snow or just rain that freezes are rampant during this period.

Somewhere in Ireland, probably in the Northern part, two teams could line out for a County Final in mild and even sunny conditions. Before the final whistle there could be a blizzard leaving 10cm of snow on the pitch and their clothing frozen in the dressing rooms.

Day after tomorrow was in fact based on this very science. Admittedly the film took artistic licence and enhanced the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

PandyAndy wrote: »
    You probably go around telling young children Santa doesn't exist too :D

Well I know for a fact that he is coming :D. But he won't need snow chains on his sleigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

Really hoping for more snow.

Didn't affect me too much last time. I live close to where I work thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gbee wrote: »
    This event was never a major snow event, it's a major freeze event and maybe unique to Ireland.

In fairness, this 'event' hasn't even started yet, so it's a bit early for post-mortems? :confused:

In fairness, this 'event' hasn't even started yet, so it's a bit early for post-mortems? :confused:

It is already started, it's climax has not reaches us yet, we are in the influential zone since midnight last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I think the people of Limerick are taking the upcoming weather event seriously. I went to pick up a couple of bags of coal and there was a big queue waiting to get into the coal yard. There was about seven lads working very hard to try and fill the cars with the orders and trying to keep the queue moving!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

gbee wrote: »
    It is already started, it's climax has not reaches us yet, we are in the influential zone since midnight last Sunday.

Im afraid you are wrong there, and it will be a nowcast situation regarding snow like the last cold snap

• Advertisement

Can any experts reading this give a brief summary of the main points cos to be honest i am totally confused - read in one thread that the bbc are talking of milder conditions again on Sunday for the south (no i realise this may be the south of england but still) and then i am hearing that the whole country is going to get massive amounts of snow!!!

Then i look at the GFS charts and people say 'oh they aren't very reliable'!

Is the answer to this basically - 'we don't know'??!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement