Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat rescue !

• 15-12-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭

So I got a call from my wife from work today. Her attention was brought to a cat stuck in the top gutter of a three story house across from her place of work (a pub). Little thing couldn't get back in the way it got out due to a sloped and slated roof. Inbetween pulling pints and such herself and a few others kept an eye out. After a few attempts to get inside including one slide that left the cat hanging from the gutter by its front paws my wife was getting worried (we have 2 cats ourselves). 5 hours later the cat was still in the gutter, barely moving in the freezing cold.

She rang the Animal Home. They only rescue dogs.

She was willing to pay the 250e call out charge for the fire brigade but they weren't interested in coming out to help a cat.

She got onto another Animal welfare unit who sent someone out. They organised a cherry-picker to come in from kinsale (to cork city) that my wife was willing to pay 150e for. Also organised a garda car with 2 garda to come to direct traffic. It was on a narrow busy street. Also got 10 or so volunteers from the pub to come outside with outstretched blankets incase the cat panicked and jumped from the roof.

So the cherrypicker went up and an attempt was made to get the cat with food into a carrier. Cat panicked, nearly fell from the roof. (picture 10 people with blankets all shuffling to one side and then the other, a police car with lights flashing and two garda with torches shining) and he/she managed to make it up the sloped roof and disappear through the window from where it came.

The cherrypicker guy would only take 70e for his troubles (fair play) and the garda were sound too.

TL/DR, my wife is the business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Heartwarming story but the nicest part was how proud you are of your wife, she's a lucky lady :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thank you. One of the many, many reasons why I love my wife. I thought the effort that so many people made to save a cat was really nice in a day and age that a lot probably wouldn't cross the road to help one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Give your wife (and everyone involved) a big pat on the back from me! :D Fair play to her, as you say most people wouldn't even cross the street to help a cat in this cruel world. :(

Any pictures of the cat (or the rescue operation :D)? Are ye going to keep her? Ye'l have to think of an appropriate name for her now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Heckler

I think there were some pics taken. If i get them I'll stick them up. My wife couldn't look up as we were holding the blankets in case the cat jumped in panic and died. Fortunately all the activity gave him/her the energy to make it through the window that seemed out of reach earlier. Seems like its a locked room that it made it into so my wife and the person from the animal shelter are going back in the morning with a key and a cat-trap.

Could be my 2 cat family might grow.............

My wife has no idea I post on boards and I'm sure she'd be mighty embarassed if she knew i was telling people this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Nice one Heckler !

Still, I can't believe that some of the welfare crowd weren't interested in helping. FFS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah, lovely story, nice to hear of people helping out and you so proud of your wife!!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Your wife deserves an extra nice xmas present this year - an amazing act of kindness, and so nice to hear that people out there care.

What is up with the 'Animals Home'? Maybe they should rename themselves to Dogs Home....I'm not one bit impressed with those guys after hearing that. :mad:

Advertisement