Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pups 1st haircut

• 15-12-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I've 2 westies and they are 7 months old.

I've read that they need to have there puppy coat all cut/shaved off to let there new coat come through...

Is it wise to get it done this time of the year with the cold weather ..

They are house dogs but they are out the back sometimes and we go on walks.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Where have you read that? Clipped Westie's will have the soft fluffy coat for as long as they are clipped, the wire coat won't start to come through until 10 months to a year old. They are hand-stripped to remove dead hair which encourages growth of the wire coat. I'd suggest you get your self a coat king and use it lightly on the dogs once every 2 weeks at this stage. They are fairly pricey but still would be cheaper than having 2 pups clipped which won't help at all. There's always a chance that they will stay smooth coated though in which case you won't get a wire coat whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Molly my dog is getting her hair cut today at 3 shes a shiz cross. I got her first haircut done at about 5 months old as she was panting alot during her walk.I just bought her a wax jacket for when we go out on our walks now.

Advertisement