Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Weather - Driving Tips & General Discussion.

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

martic wrote: »
    A complete disgrace that the roads were not gritted yesterday knowing that most people would be doing catch up on their christmas shopping.
    Just a comment in relation to this - the gritters were to go out on Saturday night/Sunday morning but were cancelled at the last minute as the forecast changed and the skies clouded over but sometime during the night the skies cleared and temps dropped severly. Sometimes even the weather forecasters get it wrong and therefore so too do those in the council making decisions. We have to appreciate that there are times when Mother Nature just cannot be beaten.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

lulubenny wrote: »
    Just a comment in relation to this - the gritters were to go out on Saturday night/Sunday morning but were cancelled at the last minute as the forecast changed and the skies clouded over but sometime during the night the skies cleared and temps dropped severly. Sometimes even the weather forecasters get it wrong and therefore so too do those in the council making decisions. We have to appreciate that there are times when Mother Nature just cannot be beaten.

Also, I know a guy that drives one of the lorries and he's working round the clock these days. They're up at 2 and 3 in the morning, not getting home until 8 or 9 in the evening. Last year a few of them had to be written of sick with exhaustion for a few weeks after the snow.
    I know when you're out and about you'd be forgiven for thinking what the hell are the council doing, but they're not just sitting with their feet up drinking tea. Well, the drivers aren't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Mother nature definitely is a hard woman to beat but I'm sure from early morning the officials in charge were made aware of how dangerous the road conditions were on sunday,I left the house with my wife and 3 young children at 3 o clock on sunday and realised the roads were bad when my own car skidded putting my entire family at risk so for the gritters not to have been around by that time in the evening there is no excuses. As for the drivers of the gritters while they have alot to contend with in conditions like this both work wise and putting their own safety at risk that is their job and I'm sure they are getting good overtime for the hours that they are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Don't blame the gritters or the council if you skid and crash while driving.

No-one put your family at risk except you. You chose to drive and were apparently not heeding the conditions if you skidded due to a slippery surface.

Drive sensibly and you'll be OK. If it's too dangerous, don't drive. And if you do, and crash, don't blame the lack of grit.

Pique wrote: »
    Don't blame the gritters or the council if you skid and crash while driving.

No-one put your family at risk except you. You chose to drive and were apparently not heeding the conditions if you skidded due to a slippery surface.

Drive sensibly and you'll be OK. If it's too dangerous, don't drive. And if you do, and crash, don't blame the lack of grit.

My driveway which was fine when I left the house gave me a false outlook on the conditions it was only when I went on the main road which I pay my car tax for the upkeep of that my car skidded and as soon as that happened I turned my car and went straight back to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Have to agree with Martic on this one. Drive and backroad (which neighbours had gritted was fine. When we hit main road at Tullyearl it was ridiculously slidey. Every car was doing @22km/h. One slight wiggle and you were gone !! This was at 11am. Plenty if time to have had a main N road gritted.

• Advertisement

My point is the fact that we all know how the weather has been, roads have been gritted but that's a bonus.
    Do not drive thinking that they're fine.
    If they're slippery then drive accordingly.

The council and the gritting schedule is as even and fair as I'm sure is practicable.

Saying something like "for the gritters not to have been around by that time in the evening there is no excuses" or "Plenty of time to have had a main N road gritted. " makes you sound like a case of bitterness. There are potentially dozens of reasons (not excuses) as to why that particular stretch of road was slippy.

If you can't drive in slippy conditions and get yourself out of a skid, then maybe you shouldn't be out in it, or have a better set-up vehicle (4wd/winter tyres/etc).
    This applies to everyone.

I'll stand back from this now Pique because you seem like the type of person that wont be outdone with a reply,this is a very good thread which is good in these conditions and a game of tennis between me and you over my opinion is getting abit tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If you can't drive in slippy conditions and get yourself out of a skid, then maybe you shouldn't be out in it, or have a better set-up vehicle (4wd/winter tyres/etc).
    This applies to everyone.
    You can never legislate for what somebody else will do on the roads no matter how competent you are in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Accident:
    a. An unexpected and undesirable event, especially one resulting in damage or harm: car accidents on icy roads.
    b. An unforeseen incident

I'm sure (most) people are being cautious, and driving to within their abilities, however, while everyone agrees that the council are TRYING to keep the roads as safe as possible, we must also acknowledge that we are just not able to handle this type of weather!

If the grit lorries are flat out, covering as much as they can, yet it doesn't seem to be enough, then perhaps we need more grit lorries???

I honestly believe that the council are putting 100% effort into keeping us safe, but they have limited resources.

It's brilliant to see local communities getting together to grit estates, or back roads, and we should be encouraging that spirit. I made an effort to keep clear 40ft of footpath, outside my house, and cleared some snow for a few elderly neighbours. A few hours of effort, made a big difference.

When the snow does come back, please consider what you can do to help, rather than sit on the fence and tut.

:)

smashey wrote: »
    You can never legislate for what somebody else will do on the roads no matter how competent your are in these conditions.

Too true...unfortunately.

I saw a guy in an X5 last year thinking he could drive as normal on LK main street...seconds before he slid across the road and nearly into the PTSB !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

mrmac wrote: »
    I'm sure (most) people are being cautious, and driving to within their abilities, however, while everyone agrees that the council are TRYING to keep the roads as safe as possible, we must also acknowledge that we are just not able to handle this type of weather!

:)

You are so right there, mrmac. However, if all the indications come to pass, we are going to HAVE to get a handle on this type of weather sooner rather than later. Either that, or we close the country and hole up at home for the duration of winter.
    It's a bit like the dreaded R word and having to cut down - yes, it's hard having to cope but this is a winter of discontent in more ways than one. Doing practical things to help yourself and your community is the only answer.

That does raise some excellent questions, and certainly worth discussing.
    It would be better to take this to a new thread, as it's not what this topic is about.

Mods, can you move these last posts to a new thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Too true...unfortunately.

I saw a guy in an X5 last year thinking he could drive as normal on LK main street...seconds before he slid across the road and nearly into the PTSB !

I have lived near Letterkenny for thirty odd years and have never heard this acronym

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ootbitb wrote: »
    I have lived near Letterkenny for thirty odd years and have never heard this acronym

Thought it used to be used regularly in the Letterkenny Post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ootbitb wrote: »

Permanent TSB ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mrmac wrote: »
    That does raise some excellent questions, and certainly worth discussing.
    It would be better to take this to a new thread, as it's not what this topic is about.

Mods, can you move these last posts to a new thread?
    I suppose its better to move the posts than have them drag this thread completely off topic.

What idea had you for a thread title as there are several issues being mentioned - gritters, inexperienced driving, community efforts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Oh I thought the new thread was about giving blood. I'm lost. ( awaits smart replies)

Good question!

Perhaps a thread on "Bad Weather - Driving Tips & Discussion."?

I'd like to hear what people think we can/should do to make things safer. Be that suggestions for the Council/Government to improve the number of gritters, schedule, call out etc. - or more interestingly, what we can do ourselves to help out.
    I mean, I have NEVER seen snow fall like this in Letterkenny, and if it is the start of a trend, then I'd like to know what people think about how best to deal with it (apart from emigrating! :D ).

/quietly ignores previous poster.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above posts moved from the Weather warning / Road Condition thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Unfortunatly the gritters are not going to please everyone all of the time.

All you can do is drive to the conditions.

• Advertisement

Seeing as I can't afford one of these yokes.....

.... what's the best advice you have for winter driving?

Not directly related to this topic, but my Dad once told me to pack a warm blanket, a bottle of water, some mars bars and a packet of biscuits, into the car during the winter. You could end up getting stuck somewhere, or maybe come across some one else who got stuck, or had an accident.

After last years weather I said if it is predicted this year again I'd definitely invest in winter tyres which I did and I know I stated in a previous post I skidded on ice but in snow they are brilliant.The down side to the story is that I spent nearly £200 on them and then found out on here they could be got for 20 Euro each (slightly used) in Brock Martins in Lifford. Like last year in certain areas the water is getting cut off at night to reserve the water supplies so for the past few months any empty bottle of mineral that was drank in the house was refilled with water and put up into the attic which comes in very handy when the water gets cut off. Like last year I have been scrapping the snow off the driveway and the road up into our house before it freezes at night and its alot easier to maintain like that.Another thing I done different this year was clear a space in the garage to park the car and its great knowing that it does'nt have to be defrosted if I need to go anywhere.

Bligh wrote: »
    Met Eireann have a weather warning in operation

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Forecasting between 10 and 15 cm of snow tomorrow, if it arrives very fast it will mean very bad conditions.

Take care folks, I haven't read all this tread but is there a list of items anywhere that people would recommend keeping in the car while driving in snowy conditions?

Must be bad if they issue an warning

:D

A full tank of petrol, extra clothes such as a jacket, gloves, scarf and hat. Check all your bulbs and make sure your windscreen wash is topped up with anti freeze.

Towards more extreme end, a flask and food if going on a longer journey

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Ohhh sorry mod, didn't mean to get off topic with the items in the car thing but might be an idea, worth compiling a list for people that have to drive in the weather to get to work.

I carry my hiking boots and heavy socks
    Jacket, gloves, scarf, hat
    Tow rope
    Flash light
    Bottle of water for window wash or drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Here's the man who'll show you what to do:

"....and don't say you weren't tould"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

irish-stew wrote: »
    Must be bad if they issue an warning

:D

A full tank of petrol, extra clothes such as a jacket, gloves, scarf and hat. Check all your bulbs and make sure your windscreen wash is topped up with anti freeze.

Towards more extreme end, a flask and food if going on a longer journey

Apologies if this is off topic but be careful using anti-freeze if you or the neighbours have any pets, especially cats, it's highly poisonous to them and for some reason they seem attracted to it, anti-freeze poisoning is actually quite common. If you have any suspicions that they may have even ingested a tiny amount do bring them to a vets asap.

Hope it stays free of the white stuff until tomorrow evening when I get home. :(

dee o gee wrote: »
    Apologies if this is off topic but be careful using anti-freeze if you or the neighbours have any pets, especially cats, it's highly poisonous to them and for some reason they seem attracted to it, anti-freeze poisoning is actually quite common. If you have any suspicions that they may have even ingested a tiny amount do bring them to a vets asap.

Hope it stays free of the white stuff until tomorrow evening when I get home. :(

Some are quite flamable as well, so dont use near a hot engine.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

My mother (who is perfectly capable of driving on our roads in icy conditions)was told by a 16 year old (who had passed his therory the week before:rolleyes:), and a 14 year old to... use second gear, not first or third. Don't brake because you'll slid. When going up the hills, step on the accelorator or you'll not get up it. Stay near the edges because there is more grip. Don't go into the tracks, it's icy. :pac:

Needless ta say, it was slightly annoying; and I was only the passanger. Mum only threatened to kick them out of the car if they didn't keep quiet and stop telling her how to drive :P

sup_dude wrote: »
    My mother (who is perfectly capable of driving on our roads in icy conditions)was told by a 16 year old (who had passed his therory the week before:rolleyes:), and a 14 year old to... use second gear, not first or third. Don't brake because you'll slid. When going up the hills, step on the accelorator or you'll not get up it. Stay near the edges because there is more grip. Don't go into the tracks, it's icy. :pac:

Needless ta say, it was slightly annoying; and I was only the passanger. Mum only threatened to kick them out of the car if they didn't keep quiet and stop telling her how to drive :P

Some of it is right, some slightly wrong depending on how you interpretate it.

And i'm slighty guilty of advicing some of that my self dispite only passing my test earlier this year

:o

But some do recomend starting in second gear in icy conditions due as there are lower revs, hence less wheel spin, and build up through the gears quickly once moving, again to keep the revs down.

In relation to the hills, is more about keeping the momentum and the revs down, its no point hitting the accelerator only half way up the hill as your wheels will spin then.

In re to the brakes, you slow down using the engine, ie, using the gears and extremly gentle on the brakes, too hard and you'll start sliding, some advice pumping the brakes, ie, brake, release to gain traction through the moving wheels, brake again to slow down further, release to keep traction, etc. Id you are sliding, take the foot of the brake, and turn in slide to try and get that traction back.

Theres lots more advice out there, I'm still learning some it my self.

Not sure about avoiding the tracks, only explantion I can see there is that the tracks may have compact frozen snow.

Basically, drive slower than usual, extreamly gentle with the brakes, learn to slow down using the gears, mulitply the distance you usally keep between you and the car in front, only go out if you need to. (rant part) Switch on your friggin lights, learn where the switch is for your fog lights, and turn them off, unless thick snow is falling, or if its foggy.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

going to see if they have these in Halfords, very useful if you get stuck in the middle of nowhere, and I have heard a few people saying they did lately
    http://www.gbdriver.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94

Advertisement