Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Weather - Driving Tips & General Discussion.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Have heard somewhere that putting some white wine in window wash will stop it from freezing... as I dislike white wine it'd be no loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Firblog wrote: »
    Have heard somewhere that putting some white wine in window wash will stop it from freezing... as I dislike white wine it'd be no loss.

just be sure the wine has anti-freeze in it, and you'll be right

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jan/16/foodanddrink2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Firblog wrote: »
    I think you can use any alcohol for this - the stronger proof the better (whiskey or vodka). There's the added advantage that you can have a sneaky slurp from the window washer jet to keep you warm if you do get stuck somehere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Domscard wrote: »
    I think you can use any alcohol for this - the stronger proof the better (whiskey or vodka). There's the added advantage that you can have a sneaky slurp from the window washer jet to keep you warm if you do get stuck somehere :D
    Poitín is obviously the preferred additive:p
    Seriously though, my father used to say that rubbing a raw potato on the windscreen would stop ice forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Joe 90 wrote: »
    rubbing a raw potato on the windscreen would stop ice forming.
    Never tried it out in relation to ice but the old sliced potato works wonder if the windscreen is oily or greasy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

muffler wrote: »
    Never tried it out in relation to ice but the old sliced potato works wonder if the windscreen is oily or greasy.

Is there anything better in the world than a spud? :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting tip. I might try it out sometime I feel adventurous.

We got some window washer stuff for the car that is supposed to not freeze (up to -15C). Sadly, it has not lived up to the promise, and was used undiluted.

When people here are referring to anti-freeze, are yis really referring to the stuff used in car radiators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Where about in the county are you? Its pushing -15C in the eastern part of the county

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

On that note...how accurate do ye reckon car thermometers are Mine said -8 today at 3pm !
    It was around the same a couple of weeks ago during the last cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »
    Interesting tip. I might try it out sometime I feel adventurous.

We got some window washer stuff for the car that is supposed to not freeze (up to -15C). Sadly, it has not lived up to the promise, and was used undiluted.

When people here are referring to anti-freeze, are yis really referring to the stuff used in car radiators?

I'm referring to a specfic stuff for the window washer, you can apply it neat directly to the windows screen if frozen in the morning, or add it to the wash to prevent the resivour/lines from freezing.

Also have stuff for the radiator.
    Pique wrote: »
    On that note...how accurate do ye reckon car thermometers are Mine said -8 today at 3pm !
    It was around the same a couple of weeks ago during the last cold spell.

Depends on the positioning of your sensor and if calobrated correctly. Mine is directly behind the front bumber skirt, bloody difficult to get at when trying to replace.

Although wouldn't go by it solely, need to read the road as well, its only there as a guide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've never believed car thermometers, sometimes they seem accurate but other times they make no sense. They give a rough estimate but you cant really go by them

In saying that, the highest temperature in Ballybofey today was -6C though so it might actually have been accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

irish-stew wrote: »
    Depends on the positioning of your sensor and if calobrated correctly. Mine is directly behind the front bumber skirt, bloody difficult to get at when trying to replace.

Although wouldn't go by it solely, need to read the road as well, its only there as a guide.

Yeah, same as my last car (well, wheel arch) so I reckon they're all in the same place, roughly.

Wouldn't take it as gospel, but if it's +/- 10% it's still pretty feckin cold !!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Here's some tips for making "Winter Windscreen Washer Fluid" that suggest using ammonia & water or methanol & water:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5845346_homemade-winter-windshield-washer-fluid.html
    But, be careful as methanol can be very poisonous. And I'd probably test any homemade solutions to make sure they don't freeze! Maybe leave a cup-full outside overnight. :)

I'm coming home for Xmas and not looking forward to drive down from Dublin Airport on Wednesday morning. Here (in Boston) I can get special Winter washer fluid that does help with the snow, ice, & salt on the windscreen. Can ye find that at home at all and is it cheap?

Looking at Wikipedia, you could probably add a small amount of anti-freeze to the washer fluid (not too much as it'll probably streak):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windshield_washer_fluid#Varieties

Also, anti-freeze is poisonous and attracts cats, dogs, & wildlife as it tastes sweet to them.

I always try and keep a spare bottle of the stuff in the car, and if it's going to ice over at night, I pour some directly on the windscreen. The next morning it makes it a lot easier to scrape any ice and snow off. I've also heard of people using vinegar.

Just realised my anti freeze is in the boot, I have not been able to get into the boot for the last few days.

:D

Just realised my anti freeze is in the boot, I have not been able to get into the boot for the last few days.

:D Mighty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Can you let down the seats and climb in the back? :D

Putting vodka in your washer is supposed to help however that is a good waste of vodka (unless it's the cheap stuff!). :D And if your get pulled over by the gardaí your in bother! :D

dee o gee wrote: »
    Putting vodka in your washer is supposed to help......... And if your get pulled over by the gardaí your in bother! :D
    They wouldn't breathalyse the washer would they?

I normally leave her at home to do the dishes :D

dee o gee wrote: »
    Can you let down the seats and climb in the back? :D

I tried doing that to get into the car the other day, got one of the back doors open and climbed into the front. Nearly done my self a mischief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Aaaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhhhh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

bettlebrox wrote: »
    Here's some tips for making "Winter Windscreen Washer Fluid" that suggest using ammonia
    :eek:

I remember as a wee innocent many years ago, a chap opened a bottle of clear liquid one day and asked me to smell it. Yes, it was bloody ammonia. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I am supposed to travel from Galway to Fanad tomorrow, wondering if it is worth the drive or would I be better off to take the bus? How bad are the driving conditions (ie. road gritting and weather)? Don't mind driving but in this weather would rather take the safest option. Thanks for your help.

smashey wrote: »
    :eek:

I remember as a wee innocent many years ago, a chap opened a bottle of clear liquid one day and asked me to smell it. Yes, it was bloody ammonia. :mad:
    :D:D

Im not sure about the "wee" and "innocent" parts of that statement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

:D:D

Im not sure about the "wee" and "innocent" parts of that statement :D
    It scarred me for life but at least I was prepared for it when I went to secondary school and a bottle was produced in the science labs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

I am supposed to travel from Galway to Fanad tomorrow, wondering if it is worth the drive or would I be better off to take the bus? How bad are the driving conditions (ie. road gritting and weather)? Don't mind driving but in this weather would rather take the safest option. Thanks for your help.

Whatever option you go for it's going to take you very long. Average speeds are extremely slow due to the road conditions al along that route. Unless it's a matter of life and death I wouldn't bother even trying. Although many roads are deemed passable, one jack knifed lorry is enough to grind everything to a halt and traffic is travelling at myabe 30km an hour only anyway.
    If you do decide to drive take all nescesary precautions as you could end up stuck somewhere in temperatures between -5 and -10 depending on where you are and what time of the day it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

:D:D:D

Advertisement