Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you give a job to someone with Bi-polar disorder

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Of course I would hire someone with bi-polar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

tudlytops wrote: »
    like what, i was asked a question, so i asked it here... what with all the smart ass comments.

If I had asked would you give someone in a wheelchair a job, would I have had the some comments.

Because it's a STUPID damn question. Of course I/we would give a bipolar person a job if they were qualified to do it. You got joke answers because you asked a dumb question....took offence and are now digging yourself into a hole.

No ****ing way would I hire a bi-polar person.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

zerks wrote: »
    Would you have to offer them two jobs or conduct seperate interviews?

Excellent...If he introduced himself as Tyler Durden then Id get worried ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Believe it or not the majority of the world's greatest minds suffered BP or some form of mental illness.

Usually people with BP are highly intelligent people and are incredibly creative. Also too are people who suffer from depresion.

Its the people who don't suffer from any mental illness that I worry about........... ;)

Depends on the job though with creativity doesn't it? Some jobs would need creativity more, for others it could be more important that you can be there all the time and don't need many sick days...

Mental illness is different for everybody that suffers from it, so I don't see how anyone could say yes or no to this one, it'd depend on the person and the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Name one famous brain surgeon right now!

oh the guy that did the first heart transplant emmmm (not looking at gooogle yet........ looks at wiki Christiaan Barnard

oh wait he was not a brain surgeon :o

Damnit i should have said a rocket scientist !!!

some here and your right I had never heard of any of them either.

my point is still valid regular jobs where consistancy of work and mood are needed might not suit someone with bipolar disorder.

Also if you were a manager or team leader who does the hiring are you going to take the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

My logic:

Would you allow an Irishman to work behind a bar? No.

Title of thread, would you allow a bi-polar person to work for you? No.

What happens when they get down and don't answer the phone? What happens when they are sky high and ring every single one of their friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Most of the living people on this list would be good to employ in certain roles, I'd say.

Eh, you do realise Kerry Katona's on that list, right? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I saw that Linda Hamilton was on the list of actors with pie bowler diesease. She was in Terminator, and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. So no, I wouldn't employ somebody with Pie-Bowler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Millicent wrote: »
    Eh, you do realise Kerry Katona's on that list, right? :pac:

There may well be jobs for which she's suited.

I know she has her knockers, but I'd give her one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

That's not like a broken arm or leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There may well be jobs for which she's suited.

I know she has her knockers, but I'd give her one.

Sloppy 500ths?:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Bipolar disorder varies in severity and in many cases can be successfully controlled (most of the time anyway) with appropriate treatment. An employee could be bipolar without their boss even being aware.

I happen to know of a former sufferer who set his own business and now employs several people !

Cue the "would you work for someone with bipolar disorder" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Has anyone made the joke about the 'bi-polar/ bisexual polar bear' play on words yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

irish-stew wrote: »
    If you posted it in AH then possibly yes.
    I'm tempted to make a thread about people in wheelchairs to see what kind of gags the hivemind can come up with. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ruu wrote: »
    They can go back to their own flippin country! :mad::mad::mad:

:rolleyes: :mad:

In summary, i agree but i dont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ruu wrote: »
    They can go back to their own flippin country! :mad::mad::mad:

I agree :mad:

Here they are, taking our jobs and taking our women. Walking around like they own the feckin place.

Jumpy wrote: »
    No ****ing way would I hire a bi-polar person.

You see there you have your problem, by calling someone a bipolar person, you are putting the problem before the person, rather than saying a person with bipolar, putting them before their illness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Id give them a shot, of course. But I couldn't afford to overlook absenteeism, low productivity, pugnacious tendencies or such kpi's in staff that I'm paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I've got a right to live in the Antartic for the first half of the year and the Artic the second half, what's wrong with that?

I don't discriminate against penguins or polar bears and neither should emloyers.

You see there you have your problem, by calling someone a bipolar person, you are putting the problem before the person, rather than saying a person with bipolar, putting them before their illness :)

THATS THE JOKE.

Read two posts earlier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

maninasia wrote: »
    I've got a right to live in the Antartic for the first half of the year and the Artic the second half, what's wrong with that?

I don't discriminate against penguins or polar bears and neither should emloyers.

Penguins are rotten, and have been for a number of years.

Jumpy wrote: »
    THATS THE JOKE.

Read two posts earlier :)

Whoopsadaisydoodles :o
    Sorry :(

Advertisement