Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you feel safe in Ireland?

• 15-12-2010 2:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Let me be short and to the point: do you feel safe living in this country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Not with Larry Murphy living on every street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No guns, no poisonous snakes or spiders, no bears, lions or any animal who could really kill you, no hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, no chance of war being declared.

Pretty safe country alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Safer than this time last week anyway, there's no wee cnuts hurling balls of ice at me as i walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ac08400

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

No guns, no poisonous snakes or spiders, no bears, lions or any animal who could really kill you, no hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, no chance of war being declared.

Pretty safe country alright!

No guns?!? Lol funny!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Augmerson wrote: »
    Short & to the point..
    No.
    I fear for my elderly relatives living in the country.

No this place is quite vicious and there is a real undercurrent of threat that you can feel in any public place.
    People are simply hurrying through..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

too safe. nanny state! the very atmosphere is mollycoddlin the life outta me

financial worries? thug issues..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Totally, what's not to feel safe.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Yes, it's a very safe country. Everywhere has its trouble zones - we all know the obvious ones in Ireland - but this country is very safe compared to other parts of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Augmerson wrote: »

Don't know to be honest. I only live half a mile away from where that guy was stabbed outside the Wright Venue in Airside Motorpark in Swords and on the same night, at the same time, and the same place there was a pipe bomb found under a car. The Wright Venue is a brand new building and the area in which it is situated isn't that old, its always been a relatively safe area until recently. Also a few years ago a woman was shot in her house in Holywell (Baiba Saulite) by an assassin which is only a quarter of a mile from the Wright Venue. Gangland violence is really getting out of hand in Ireland. Places that would have been considered safe are now becoming dangerous and peoples' lives are at stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

no chance of war being declared

War were declared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

No, I've been brainwashed by the media into a state of such fear that I despise my fellow man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

E-Gad! Where is safe??

boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Just walked the 20 minute walk home from Galway City centre...

I wasn't stabbed, raped, trampled, bombed..
    Safe country :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yep, it's a fairly safe aul job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Einhard wrote: »
    boards.ie

But where should my laptop be situated?

I don't think I can sleep now. :(

augmerson i just don't see where the danger is coming from. unless i were.. timid as tin-tin. specify?

sure yer probably tucked up n safe in bed by now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Yes i do feel safe. There is crime where I live but thankfully i've not fallen afoot of any dangers. I'm just lucky i don't live in a country where mother nature makes you her b*tch, trying to kill you with hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and volcanoes. This combined with a high rate of crime makes me feel very safe on this little island :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Depends on different parts of the country. I feel very safe in Galway (not complacently safe though) but would be on higher alert in parts of Dublin late at night. On a whole though, yes I feel safe in Ireland. There not being a lot of guns around helps. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I feel a lot safer in Galway since the garda took the last batch of dodgy fcukers off the streets with the new anti gang laws so I suppose i do feel safe enough

in saying that 7 of us (3 girls included) ended up in a row with 2 nacks 3 weeks ago after going to a club. to cut a long story short it began with 2 nacks starting on our mate Syed as he waited on us to regroup to grab a taxi. he didnt back down so me and another one of the lads proceeded to beat some sense into the 2 lads (tough enough ****ers too I might add!!) in full view of about 30/40 people. we all felt it the next day though and we can only be safe in the knowledge the nacks didn't see it coming so feic it!! that is the first time in the 5 years we know each other that we got such hassle.

here's hoping for another 5 years of safer clubbing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

But where should my laptop be situated?

I don't think I can sleep now. :(

You can join me in my DungeonBasementBunkerSurvival Dome, just the two of us.:p

Mrmoe wrote: »
    You can join me in my DungeonBasementBunkerSurvival Dome, just the two of us.:p

only if she makes it beyond my thunderdome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

whats that phrase? safe as the housing market or something?

oh wait

if he dies of a heart attack in his sleep, we'll never know just what it was he wasn't afraid of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Ireland's safe enough, we're hardly Caracas.

That said there's a fair amount of little thugs in Dublin who'll stick a knife in you without hesitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ireland's safe enough, we're hardly Caracas.

That said there's a fair amount of little thugs in Dublin who'll stick a knife in you without hesitation.

Plenty in Cork too. and Limerick.

What's the world coming too when you can't walk through town at 4 in the morning, walk past 5 knackers and not get stabbed?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

markesmith wrote: »
    Yes, it's a very safe country. Everywhere has its trouble zones - we all know the obvious ones in Ireland - but this country is very safe compared to other parts of the world.

I agree with you. Ireland is much safe and all EU countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Yes. As they say the strong survive, if you can't defend yourself good luck to you as you are not one of the strong.

Are you smart, strong and can handle yourself? I am and can. Good luck to those that can't. I guess I won't be looking for you when the zombies come :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

The Walking Dead isn't actually real you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

No but then again, i live in and around **** parts of dublin. felt safer elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Walking Dead isn't actually real you know.

...don't know about that...you ever been on the 56A?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I feel really safe.

Especially since I bought an AK-47.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I feel safe but that's mainly because I haven't turned on a tv in 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Have felt safer elsewhere tbh, on the continent and the US. Never felt the same feeling of having to look over your shoulder on the way home from a night out etc.

Don't find Ireland particular bad for violence but I do think there is a general feeling of unease and a culture of looking the other way and ignoring anti-social behaviour and low level scumbaggery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Everytime I venture outside I strap hotdogs to my chest and have Scalectrix controllers tied to the sleeves of my jacket. So anytime someone comes near I rip open my jacket and vow to blow everyone up.

It's the only way I can keep safe in this crazy, crazy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

it's not a question of do i feel safe in ireland, it's whether ireland should feel safe with me around.

in offaly - country fear you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What an odd question.
    I feel extremely safe here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Do you people not watch crimeline :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I was robbed on the way to mass. They just picked me up and put me in a van. I have the laptop though and from what the adverts on redtube are telling me I'm somewhere in Wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In general Ireland is a pretty safe country by EU standards and very safe by comparison to places like Mexico say. What I have found in my travels and maybe this is a personal thing, is that in other countries and major cities, there are well dodgy areas, but if you steer clear of them you're generally fine, whereas in Dublin anyway, you could be attacked pretty much anywhere. Like I say maybe that's just me?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Wibbs wrote: »
    In general Ireland is a pretty safe country by EU standards and very safe by comparison to places like Mexico say. What I have found in my travels and maybe this is a personal thing, is that in other countries and major cities, there are well dodgy areas, but if you steer clear of them you're generally fine, whereas in Dublin anyway, you could be attacked pretty much anywhere. Like I say maybe that's just me?

Exactly how I feel about Dublin. Although Ireland is a relatively safe country, in most other big cities if you stay out of the dodgy areas you'll be fine but in Dublin there's always a chance some scumbag may try to mug you even on oconnell street...

Also Ireland doesn't have many big crimes such as killing, raping, large scale gang wars etc. Crimes that make big news and statistics.

But especially since the recession there are a lot of scumbags who won't hesitate a moment to show you a knife and try to mug you. This imo is more dangerous than the major criminals as the stabbists and rapists usually only attack people they have grudges or any differences against while these scumbags will attack anyone and the don't care about jail.

In Dublin late at night you do have to watch your back when walking down the street. You also have to keep you car doors locked when driving in the city centre as its beginning very common where scumbags will open your car doors to try to steal something while you're waiting at traffic lights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Einhard wrote: »
    Not with Larry Murphy living on every street.
    I've a Larry Murphy living on my street....should I be scared.

Wibbs wrote: »

+1. Nail on the head.

Had another example just last weekend, walking with my wife to the shops on Sunday afternoon about 4 pm, walking on the footpath beside a busy road, it was still bright etc. Met a group of about 5 or 6 teenagers, (the usual sort, with trackies tucked into socks, one hand down their pants keeping their crotch war, stupid wooly hats) probably between 16-18. Firstly they fanned out across the footpath and stood there and blocked our way. When we didn't move to go around them they started to limp around us, until one of them took a swing at me tying to be funny, stopping a couple of inches from my face, should be noted that this lad was a scrawny little runt that looked like a stiff breeze would knock over. This was then followed by a couple of faces in ours 'whatya gonna do?' 'get the f*** off our street' etc before they walked on.

This was on the side of a busy street, a stone's throw from one of Dublin's biggest garda stations and you are basically powerless to do anything about it. THAT is Dublin for me.... and that is the kind of behaviour I have never come across in any other country (including in some very dodgy areas).

prinz wrote: »
    +1. Nail on the head.

Had another example just last weekend, walking with my wife to the shops on Sunday afternoon about 4 pm, walking on the footpath beside a busy road, it was still bright etc. Met a group of about 5 or 6 teenagers, (the usual sort, with trackies tucked into socks, one hand down their pants keeping their crotch war, stupid wooly hats) probably between 16-18. Firstly they fanned out across the footpath and stood there and blocked our way. When we didn't move to go around them they started to limp around us, until one of them took a swing at me tying to be funny, stopping a couple of inches from my face, should be noted that this lad was a scrawny little runt that looked like a stiff breeze would knock over. This was then followed by a couple of faces in ours 'whatya gonna do?' 'get the f*** off our street' etc before they walked on.

This was on the side of a busy street, a stone's throw from one of Dublin's biggest garda stations and you are basically powerless to do anything about it. THAT is Dublin for me.... and that is the kind of behaviour I have never come across in any other country (including in some very dodgy areas).

If that was me I would have lashed out and got myself in a worse situation. Fair play to you for not reacting but if they put their face in mine they would definitely get a headbut. You just don't know what's going to happen when they engage you like this.

This kind of thing happened me a few times in Limerick.

If that was me I would have lashed out and got myself in a worse situation. Fair play to you for not reacting but if they put their face in mine they would definitely get a headbut. You just don't know what's going to happen when they engage you like this.

I would love to, but as you said, it would have worsened the situation all round. I learned that lesson via someone I knew of, that was in Limerick too.

Thing is now my wife now doesn't feel safe walking the 5 mins from our place to the shops alone, when she has no problem travelling around the Rhine-Ruhr area in Germany at all hours of the night, despite a much bigger population and much worse 'areas'. It happened Sunday so she might calm down a bit again but it has really spooked her.

prinz wrote: »
    I would love to, but as you said, it would have worsened the situation all round. I learned that lesson via someone I knew of, that was in Limerick too.

Thing is now my wife now doesn't feel safe walking the 5 mins from our place to the shops alone, when she has no problem travelling around the Rhine-Ruhr area in Germany at all hours of the night, despite a much bigger population and much worse 'areas'. It happened Sunday so she might calm down a bit again but it has really spooked her.

Understandable that she would be spooked. These scummers half the time are only at it for the laugh of scaring the shít out of some weedy lad or a young woman and not even for the money which just makes it sadistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

depends how much of the propoganda you expose yourself to ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement