Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these specs worth the money?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 10:16am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A mate has a few pc's at home,

he recently got his hands on this one and now has offered it to me for 200 quid.

AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
    5 GB Ram
    (Running Linux - SuSe)
    nVidia GeForce 6150SE
    8 Channel HD Audio (think it is 2.1)
    RealTek 10/100 Ethernet
    Supermulti DVD+-R/RW/DL LightScribe
    15-in-1 MM Card Reader

i intend to install windows 7 on it myself.

Not being terribly au fait with the specs (regarding AMD's) can you tell me, is it worth the asking price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

meh, bit of a strange machine

what size is the hdd?

its worth just over 100 quid really, i mean I recently bought a second hand pc from ebay

roughly same spec, slightly faster processor and it included windows XP

cost me 130 euros

What you want the PC for? games? browsing?

Honestly if you aren't into gaming or heavy sound/graphics processing then anything with a dual core processor will do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

cheers for that

looking for a the best gaming machine i can get for 250 - 500 euro... bear in mind please that my last pc (which recently died) was a Dell dimension 4100 and it played all my favs like HL2, Battlefield 2, 2142, etc so not quite looking to burst a blood vessel on prices.

it wont be powerful enough for me as i also want to do dev work on it, asp.net, sql server, office, etc for work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Morphéus wrote: »
    A mate has a few pc's at home,

he recently got his hands on this one and now has offered it to me for 200 quid.

AMD Athlon 64x2 4400+
    5 GB Ram
    (Running Linux - SuSe)
    nVidia GeForce 6150SE
    8 Channel HD Audio (think it is 2.1)
    RealTek 10/100 Ethernet
    Supermulti DVD+-R/RW/DL LightScribe
    15-in-1 MM Card Reader

i intend to install windows 7 on it myself.

Not being terribly au fait with the specs (regarding AMD's) can you tell me, is it worth the asking price?

Does it include a monitor and other accessories? Without knowing about these parts such as hd capacity you cant tell for sure but if not included its not worth that price?
    Heres a similar spec machine in a small form factor for 180 which even this should be less than 150 so I think its worth a bit less than this.
    http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/bargain-shuttle-mini-pc-modified-4gb-ram-x2-2-7ghz-hdmi/371488

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

no none of those included, small circa 80Gb drive and has linux so still have to install windows... gonna avoid it and continue search for cheap gamer pc :(

Thanks everyone for your help... any suggestions on cheap gaming pc are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Read some of the budget sticky post above and you'll get an idea of prices

For 450 euros you can get a quality PC that'll run all the latest games too, bad company 2.. which, and i hate to say this, is even more fun than bf2

Do not buy an ebay PC that is advertised as a gaming pc.. it is not.. its just the same price as the ones in the budget sticky but with tacky cheap parts and a crap graphics card

Check adverts.ie, some very good pc gaming deals there.

My advice - invest 400 or 500 in a quality budget gaming pc, be able to play every new game out there in super smooth fps.. and you can pickup various games for dirt cheap in the steam xmas sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

going on the specs, then id say not really.

with your budget you can get so much better.

even this would be worth it.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/quad-core-pc/338441

will easily play any game you want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

going on the specs, then id say not really.

with your budget you can get so much better.

even this would be worth it.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/quad-core-pc/338441

will easily play any game you want it to.

Sold as of 14 minutes ago... :pac: bad choice!

Advertisement