Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Christmas Market Repairs

Options
  • 15-12-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭

€10,000 BOND TO REPAIR EYRE SQUARE AFTER MARKET LEAVES
    December 14, 2010 - 3:09pm
    €10,000 BOND TO REPAIR EYRE SQUARE AFTER MARKET LEAVES

A €10,000 bond given to the City Council by the Continental Christmas Market is enough to cover the cost of damage to Eyre Square.

That was the message from council officials at a meeting of the City Council last night.

Don't know if I believe that figure. When the Square cost millions to redesign, it seems odd that relaying the grass is going to cost 10,000. Anybody else have any views?

Maybe the 10,000 bond is on top of the 2k each the stall owners are paying in rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

You can't really compare laying a few hundred square feet of new sod to the complete overhaul of the square. In terms of the planning, design, phsyical work, time, man power and equipment they are polar opposites in every single sense.

Thats not to say I thing we got value for money with regard to the colossal cluster f*uk that was the overhaul of the square. That was a classic example of just the worst excesses of the Celtic Tiger era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You can't really compare laying a few hundred square feet of new sod to the complete overhaul of the square. In terms of the planning, design, phsyical work, time, man power and equipment they are polar opposites in every single sense.

Thats not to say I thing we got value for money with regard to the colossal cluster f*uk that was the overhaul of the square. That was a classic example of just the worst excesses of the Celtic Tiger era.

It was alright. What did they really have to do with the square....they paved over part of it, dug up a few tracks and removed some of the trees.

I actually really liked it the way it was and all. The trees added something...ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I like the new Square too but that's not to say the redevelopment process wasn't an absolute travesty.

With any luck that €10,000 figure will be adequate. With any luck, once the country recovers, those in charge will have some concept of financial planning and timescales, and the term "over-budget" will be a thing of the past.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ridiculous.
    If it such a rip-roaring success, why not just leave it there and convert it to
    a spring market followed by a summer celebration market followed by a woohoo it's autumn market...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Feck that, the Square looks really nice in the summer and lots of people use it. The xmas market is a bit of an eye sore.

Anyone got any pics of the old Square (from before they did it up, not ancient ones)? I think I first came to Galway while it was being redone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ridiculous.
    If it such a rip-roaring success, why not just leave it there and convert it to
    a spring market followed by a summer celebration market followed by a woohoo it's autumn market...

Common sense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mactard wrote: »
    Common sense?

Hey, common sense has no place in this commercial capitalist society!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

it would be interesting to have one market on the square permanently. with the other at the old fowl market at st nicholas'. that would creat a dumbell effect (sic?) that would draw people up and down the main street.

but probably wouldnt work year round. i read there recently that the council wants to change bye-laws to allow the extension of the traditional saturday market.

it would see it taking up stalls on the middle of mainguard street and up church lane. would be an interesting development - particularly on mainguard street.

Advertisement