Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying a BMW 320d

Comments

There are loads of threads on them :)
    Search function is worth a try ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

Its still in tape deck era!! :(

As for views on them. I'm not a fan.

Every builder in the country owned one at one point.

For 6k you could get something a lot less eh how do I put this... common/boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Redriddick

coffeenuts wrote: »

As for views on them. I'm not a fan.

Every builder in the country owned one at one point.

For 6k you could get something a lot less eh how do I put this... common/boring.

Hi Coffeenuts,
    Any recommendations so.I need a diesel and with air con,electric windows and the likes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

coffeenuts wrote: »

probably because of the 6CD changer in the boot :)
    looks nice OP, 150bhp facelift version too.

low mileage too, which if can be verified is great.

there are many cheaper available, but probably not in as good condition or available with warranty etc

double check the service history, look for signs that the breather filter was replaced regulary and regular oil changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭coffeenuts

ok fair enough then if theres a cd changer.

Anyways just my opinion I find them utterly boring but sure each to their own.

For something a bit different still keeping within your guidelines of diesel, A/C etc,

Alfa...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.9-JTD(/201038199599122/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.9-JTD-/201045200164306/advert?channel=CARS

Saab...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Saab/9-3/VECTOR-1/201046200276585/advert?channel=CARS

Just my two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

My two cents?

Ugh, manual.

Slightly overpriced given the dealer location.

Other than that not a bad deal imo, if I was looking for a 320d manual from that era then its a good find!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

One problem a friend had with his was I think a relay behind the glove box is not the best and stops him from starting the car. Diesel pump?

Maybe someone can shed some light on it but it has been the worst fault on the car. It wouldnt start for 5 minutes say on cold mornings.

Now that it is parked underground now its been fine this winter but I look forward to seeing what it is like when he visits and leaves it in the cold.

Its remapped and it is quite frankly a beast of a car IMO. Compared to my lil 90hp Golf (edit) which of course means that it is even more of a rocket ship than the TDI ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Redriddick

bbk wrote: »
    One problem a friend had with his was I think a relay behind the glove box is not the best and stops him from starting the car. Diesel pump?

Maybe someone can shed some light on it but it has been the worst fault on the car. It wouldnt start for 5 minutes say on cold mornings.

Now that it is parked underground now its been fine this winter but I look forward to seeing what it is like when he visits and leaves it in the cold.

Its remapped and it is quite frankly a beast of a car IMO. Compared to my lil 90hp Golf (edit) which of course means that it is even more of a rocket ship than the TDI ;):p

Sounds to me like its the heater plugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I presume the OP knows that these engines are notorious for swirl flaps falling off and injesting themselves into the engine, and of course these engines are notorious for turbo failure as well.

I would buy either a 318i or a 320i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

320ds might be overpriced and have their few problems, like the turbo swirl flaps, but to be honest they are great sellers, and hold their value very well! 6k is steep for an 02 in my opinion, but the mileage is low, long nct and few months tax are a plus.

In terms of the suggestions for the alfas and saab, both new and better cars then the e46 BMW i think, but will both deprecate far quicker then the BMW and wont be as easy to shift on, so you have to take this into account also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Redriddick wrote: »
    Sounds to me like its the heater plugs!

Plugs worked according to the dash and when he started it didnt even half kick in. Just constant cranking for 5 mins. Long time since I researched it but seems to be down to some relay maybe.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65366&start=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that is a nice car, has mfsw and climate control. As a Bmw driver, I will say this though, you can get an 07 of the new mondeo for not far from that price, and alot of them also come with mfsw and climate control... I also say this as a former mondeo driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Nice looking car,however am I alone in thinking that red is a bad colour for that type of car ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Nice looking car,however am I alone in thinking that red is a bad colour for that type of car ? :)

+1, red doesnt suit it really IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Tlevinxs

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Im thinking of buying a bmw 320d,a 2002 if possible.Saw one on carzone but seems a bit pricey.You guys have any views on them?http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/320d-SE-/201048200403318/advert?channel=CARS

Good car! Im going to buy same, after New Year, but definately with leather seats)

Advertisement