Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clothes alterations

Options
  • 15-12-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

looking for some one to take up a few pairs of jeans looking for some one good as ive got them done before and they have been poor effort,can any one help me out on this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

quayside place beside the toilets does alterations. never heard any complaints about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

If you're willing to travel a bit, theres a lady in Boyle who's fantastic. I've had alot of things taken in, up, added on etc by her and she's by far the best I've ever seen. Shes the only one I'd take good clothes to. She is also very decently priced. Shes in the little arcade just over the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

cheers cassi but it would be a bit far,some one today was telling me about a person some where in o'connell st that was good as well any one know anything about this

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭westeire

There is person above bistro bianconi in o'connell st, there is a stairs to left side of the bistro and she is up there. She is meant to be cheap and does a good job??.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I have used the one in Quayside several times and they do a great job....but I think 8 euro to take up a pair of trousers is expensive....considering the trousers only cost 8 euro in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

magnumlady wrote: »
    I have used the one in Quayside several times and they do a great job....but I think 8 euro to take up a pair of trousers is expensive....considering the trousers only cost 8 euro in the first place.

I believe cheaper clothes are more expensive to alter, and if the item is from Penneys or no, the person who is altering it shouldn't have to lower their rate because of that, or else they'd be at a loss for the same amount of work. But you're right is is fairly expensive work anyway, I was thinking of investing in a small sewing machine at some stage so I could try it myself... as if that'll ever happen. Or you could use Wundaweb

Theres a alteration place on that wee road across from the courthouse, on your way to Dunnes. I bought an expensive dress in there and he altered the hem too short and crookedly and was actually offended when I brought it back in and complained. Never again.

Whats the address/name of the lady in Boyle?

yes fillefatale know the place you are on about thats where i had my bad experience we had two poorly altered items hence why im trying to find out who will do a good job,
    thanks folks for yer help look's like you have either the place in the quayside or in oconnell st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

There is a place on Abbey street, beside where the bus stop is. I always bring my trousers there to be turned up and never had any complaints. Can't remember exactly what they charge but it's between 6 - 8 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

That's the House of Houze tailoring, I have had excellent service there on several occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Theres a alteration place on that wee road across from the courthouse, on your way to Dunnes. I bought an expensive dress in there and he altered the hem too short and crookedly and was actually offended when I brought it back in and complained. Never again.

That place is actually ridiculous! I used to bring my Mercy skirt in there to get taken up and was left with crooked hems and a permanent oil stain on it! My brother brought a jacket in to get altered for a grad, was told it'd be ready 2 days before the grad. Called in several times and it still wasn't ready - finally picked it up a few hours before the damn event. I don't know how they're still in business - they do a terrible job and have never heard of "the customer is always right"! :P

I've used a tailor above the House of Value shop in Tesco car park - she did a pretty good job on what I needed done and was fairly priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Konata wrote: »
    That place is actually ridiculous! I used to bring my Mercy skirt in there to get taken up and was left with crooked hems and a permanent oil stain on it! My brother brought a jacket in to get altered for a grad, was told it'd be ready 2 days before the grad. Called in several times and it still wasn't ready - finally picked it up a few hours before the damn event. I don't know how they're still in business - they do a terrible job and have never heard of "the customer is always right"! :P

An oil stain? Christ I hope you got your money back! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has had a bad experience there, I guess they're only in business because of first timers? Because I cannot imagine anyone going back there. Awful awful awful.

still havent got anything sorted this weather isnt helping,just somthing i forgot to ask who turns up the jeans and trousers for the clothes shops in sligo like EJ's i got a pair of jeans turned up before and they were a very good job

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Do you know any place that actually tailor it to your body? I have a dress thats too big in some parts, would need to have it on for them to fix it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Do you know any place that actually tailor it to your body? I have a dress thats too big in some parts, would need to have it on for them to fix it properly.
    there'sa woman around oakfield is a dress maker,she does alteration as well.her name escapes me though:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

My wife took a piece of tartan cloth to be made in to a skirt. She even had it pinned up for the right length. Took it to alterations shop in Old Market St. Woman managed to cut it too short!!!

Advertisement