Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death abroad!

• 15-12-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

We have just learnt of a death of a relation in New York and in true Irish Style this gentle soul (in his 70's) will be buried in Ireland.

Does anybody have any idea how long it takes to get the body home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The body needs to be embalmed and put in a special coffin for air transport. It should only take a few days. It is expensive too. I had to do this for my father. However, the undertaking business is full of rip off artists [and I know because the undertaker at my fathers funeral home was one of them!] so dont let them exploit the bereaved. They take advantage of the taboo around death and money and how its in poor taste to argue about money in a bereavement.

The family will have to consult the undertaker as well as make special arrangements with aer lingus for repatriation.

Advertisement