Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/bars open on 26th, Stephens day?

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

So I was asking a friend over to mine for a few cans on Stephens day and then head out to the pub for a few after, he replied saying no pubs/bars are open on Stephens day in Dublin, that only really happens in towns outside Dub city centre.
    Is he right? Is it a cans day or can we go for a few? Retail is open on Stephens day too.
    I remember being at home (Co. Dublin) on Stephens Day and the locals would all be open and everyone would be out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Buy more cans and save the bother

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I live in the country, but Stephen's & Paddy's were always the biggest days for pub trade as long as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah Stephen's is the day to going out to see friends home for the holidays.
    Is your question about places open in Dublin city only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

wilson10 wrote: »
    I live in the country, but Stephen's & Paddy's were always the biggest days for pub trade as long as I remember.

Yeah thats what I thought too. but why would my friend from DCC say most/all pubs close on the 26th?

'Buy more cans and save the bother'

Orourkeda I'll have like 12 cans then head out lol. Someones gotta keep the country running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

Having a flutter on the King George V1, and watching the race over a pint, is a long standing Christmas tradition, where I come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

most dublin city centre pubs will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Biggest drinking day of the year round here. :D

biko wrote: »
    Yeah Stephen's is the day to going out to see friends home for the holidays.
    Is your question about places open in Dublin city only?

Yes Dublin City Centre only!

Outside Dublin everywhere is open but my Dublin City Centre friend says pubs are closed in the City Centre on the 26th. Is he right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Should be no problem in the country, or places like Belfast.

Usually not as many places open in Dublin city centre though. Soeaking from experience here as my birthday is on that day and we've usually found the selection of pubs slimmer than usual in Dublin city centre although you will find soemwhere and I think gigs and clubs the like are still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

AntiMatter wrote: »
    Having a flutter on the King George V1, and watching the race over a pint, is a long standing Christmas tradition, where I come from.

The perfect St Stephen's Day!

Btw Quinns in Drumcondra is open on Stephen's day this year, saw a sign for it when walking past last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

if they are open. they'll be closed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Licensed premises are only closed on Good Friday and Christmas Day in the Republic, and only Christmas Day in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Its probably the biggest drinking night of the year in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Licensed premises are only closed on Good Friday and Christmas Day in the Republic, and only Christmas Day in Limerick.

That was a once off in Limerick if I recall correctly . Also, I can understand Christmas Day, I can't understand Good Friday , it's pheking bollox and if you forget about it your up **** creek .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

That time in Limerick was over the big rugby match.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

go crazy man, dublin city centre is hopping on st stephens night, plenty of places open, usually around half pubs/clubs open. dandelion would be a good bet for a good night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

From what I can remember is that only a few City Center pubs open on stephens day, best is to just go into the pub you want to visit and ask them. However ive never come across a pub in dublin (outside the City) that was closed on stephens day, around tallaght they have to sell tickets for the pubs cause too many people try to get in,...... that and they're money hungry c***s!!!!!!

go crazy man, dublin city centre is hopping on st stephens night, plenty of places open, usually around half pubs/clubs open. dandelion would be a good bet for a good night

Yeah meant to say that too that nearly all clubs will be open, but expect to pay through the roof to get into them

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Down our way Christmas day is called St. Stephens eve. Biggest piss up of the year by far.

Lol thanks guys, I'm not going to any clubs just to the pub for me (although I'm sure people are wondering if they are open too).
    Like, its not a big deal if they are closed, I'll just get extra cans, but it would be great if they are open!

Cheers! for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Dean820 wrote: »
    That time in Limerick was over the big rugby match.

That's true but they have a precedent now. I was down there that night every pub was jammed. I can see them getting them open every now and again when there's some kind of excuse to go drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes Dublin City Centre only!

Outside Dublin everywhere is open but my Dublin City Centre friend says pubs are closed in the City Centre on the 26th. Is he right?
    Ok, AH -> Dublin City

Lol thanks guys, I'm not going to any clubs just to the pub for me (although I'm sure people are wondering if they are open too).
    Like, its not a big deal if they are closed, I'll just get extra cans, but it would be great if they are open!

Cheers! for the replies.

No problem man :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

most locals will be open for a certain time. best to check with them on xmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I drink in town on Stephens day, pubs are open on Sunday hours for opening, but they usually close early, 7PM being the latest but maybe smaller few stay open late hours. I know clubs etc open usually hours though, and outside of city centre local pubs in Dublin etc stay open usual hours that day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Turks Head was open last year. No idea what time it closed though, we left early and went to the local which wasn't open to the public, just a few regulars. We did however end up in Coppers *shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

No law says the pubs have to close - I know where I come from its the biggest day for takings. I dont live anywhere near Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Dublin's crap Stephen's Day and New Year's Eve.
    Its just one of those things.

Stay home or go to the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

The two that I'd end up in on Stephen's Day are:

The Goblet, in Artane - open until around 3 or 4.
    The Clontarf Court, in Clontarf - open all day and evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I remember going into town on Stephen's Day a few years ago with my mates for a pub/club at night. It was like a ghost town, nothing open and nobody on the street, it was quite an eye opener. But I'm pretty sure things have changed but it probably won't be like a normal Saturday night (or Sunday this year I think). Copper's unfortunately was always open but the queue is always a couple of post codes long cause it's the only place to go. Most people will be coming from the races so McGowan's in Churchtown (another dive) always pulled a big crowd.

But like I say, things have probably changed now that retail and everything is open during the day. As said before, best ask around pre Christmas a few places that you'd want to go and they'll tell you, I wouldn't just assume they'll be open though, you could end up joining the Copper's queue in Glasnevin.

Advertisement