Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs/bars open on 26th, Stephens day?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Copper's unfortunately was always open but the queue is always a couple of post codes long cause it's the only place to go. Most people will be coming from the races so McGowan's in Churchtown (another dive) always pulled a big crowd.

Coppers being open is always unfortunate!!!! Absolute Hole!!!!!

McGowans isn't the worst place, it's by no means the best, but there's always a large amount of f***y there :D

One of my mates has a pub built onto the back of his house so we usually end up there on stephens day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was out in Dublin City Centre with a few mates last Stephens night and had a great time. Good few pubs open. Went out around 8pm. Later that night went to the nightclub in Citi Bar until around 3am and finished the night one of the indian restaurants where you can get drink until after 5am :D

gazzer wrote: »
    Was out in Dublin City Centre with a few mates last Stephens night and had a great time. Good few pubs open. Went out around 8pm. Later that night went to the nightclub in Citi Bar until around 3am and finished the night one of the indian restaurants where you can get drink until after 5am :D

Got a name???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Got a name???

Cant remember the name but there are two of them on the same lane/street in Temple Bar

gazzer wrote: »
    Cant remember the name but there are town of them on the same lane/street in Temple Bar

Ah rite I must keep an eye out for them.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Got a name???

Tandoori Bite at Portobello too. A few doors up form the Shaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

cosmic wrote: »
    Tandoori Bite at Portobello too. A few doors up form the Shaw.

Your able to get a drink in here until 5am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Danye wrote: »
    Your able to get a drink in here until 5am?

Well, 4am. You just need to buy food but a token plate of onion bhajis normally does the trick. They do carry out too (food rule applies to that too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Leopardstown Races and Club 92 FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

So I was asking a friend over to mine for a few cans on Stephens day and then head out to the pub for a few after, he replied saying no pubs/bars are open on Stephens day in Dublin,

Head out to the races at Leopardstown
    There are bars out there too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

mloc wrote: »
    Leopardstown Races and Club 92 FTW.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh I was out last Stephen's night in town and it was crap. Most places aren't open. Ended up in The Porterhouse and then Bucks. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Most of the pubs will be open.

But as someone said Stephens Day is weirdly quiet in Dub city centre, maybe because so many people that live in Dublin go home to the country for xmas. I think a lot of people stay local as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Larianne wrote: »
    Oh I was out last Stephen's night in town and it was crap. Most places aren't open. Ended up in The Porterhouse and then Bucks. :o

How embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cosmic wrote: »
    Well, 4am. You just need to buy food but a token plate of onion bhajis normally does the trick. They do carry out too (food rule applies to that too)

you can get a drink in tandoori bite until they close. they charge about €25 for a bottle of wine and €6 for a bottle of cobra. i always have a couple of bottles when i go in there for a takeaway, no matter what time of the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AliDesign1982

Me and the girls usually end up in The Village on Camden Street every Stephen's Day. Had a ball there last year and it serves late as well. There's also a place i saw an ad for called the players lounge (think that's the name) that are offering a courtousy bus home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

The pubs closing on Steevensssss' Day dates back to the time when you had Union houses and family pubs.

The Union houses, normally the bigger places were closed.

Now, the publicans have all but got rid of the unions, and are free to open as and when they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Does anyone know where actually is open in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

nm wrote: »
    Does anyone know where actually is open in town?

Coppers is open

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

msg11 wrote: »
    I can't understand Good Friday , it's pheking bollox and if you forget about it your up **** creek .

Ah come on.

OK, I'm biased, I don't drink. And I don't feel that the church should any longer have any input into licencing hours.

But if you or anyone else can't go two days in a whole year without being able to buy drink, and refer to being without drink as up sh*t creek, then you've got serious issues.

Am I the only one who thiks this guy's opinion is far too common, and that as a nation we are FAR too dependent on drink as a source of entertainment? Personally I think it's a national disgrace that people revere drink so much, to the extent I'd happily see it banned. I've seen what it turns people into (ever walked the city streets at 4am sober? Jesus what a stupid mess).

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fibbers in parnell st is open..Stephens Day there is usually a good nite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Heard Whealans is open, couldn't swear on it, think I'll risk it and head in, sure I'll find elsewhere if it isn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

RichieC wrote: »
    Heard Whealans is open, couldn't swear on it, think I'll risk it and head in, sure I'll find elsewhere if it isn't.

"11811" and ask them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Natpurple

Hi guys
    I will be in dublin on st stephans day this year, can anybody please tell me are all shops/pubs/bars open?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Natpurple wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I will be in dublin on st stephans day this year, can anybody please tell me are all shops/pubs/bars open?

All pubs and bars will be open, Stephens Day is normally one of their busiest of the year due to loads of football being on and some big horse racing meetings. Most shops should be open but a good few would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I was in town last year and the year before on Stephens Day & I'd say that about half of the shops were open. The big shops (Clearys, M&S, Easons) were all closed. The ILAC and Jervis centre were both open, but only about half the shops in them were open. Dunnes was closed. I can't remember about Pennys, but River Island was definitely open. I think Debenhams & Arnotts were open, but am not 100% sure.

Thank you both for you help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

All pubs and bars will be open, Stephens Day is normally one of their busiest of the year due to loads of football being on and some big horse racing meetings. Most shops should be open but a good few would be closed.

This isn't accurate, for town anyway. Used to be a busy night but last couple years dead.
    Rural and suburban pubs seem to be good Stephens night.

We will be celebrating a birthday so we are looking for just a few pubs that we can sit and have a couple of drinks in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You won't have a problem finding pubs that are open. It's just the shops that won't be open.

Advertisement