Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Dead Rubber'

• 15-12-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed a sharp rise on the term 'Dead Rubber' in the printed press and also radio broadcast, Has anyone else noticed this ?is it a term you use.

Why the sudden upsurge? Am i crazy or was this term 'dead in the water' for the past number of years. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no relation between 'dead in the water' and 'dead rubber'. The former refers to an idea that has not taken off, the latter is a bridge term for a hand that is played out even though the result is of no importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's no relation between 'dead in the water' and 'dead rubber'. The former refers to an idea that has not taken off, the latter is a bridge term for a hand that is played out even though the result is of no importance.

by 'dead in the water' i meant unused. Please see context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've often used it to refer to football, though I first picked the phrase up from Davis Cup tennis.

listermint wrote: »
    by 'dead in the water' i meant unused. Please see context.

I don't see how 'unused' can be applied to a match that is played where the result is not important. Are you sure you understand the context where these phrases are used?

Okay you are completely off my original point.

The Term 'Dead Rubber'

It has recently made a resurggence in its use in terms of describing sporting occasions. Very rarely used in relation to soccer.

Of late, I have noticed it is being used by pundits and journalists quite frequently. Why??

• Advertisement

Maybe it's just me but I have absolutely no idea what you're asking as you seem to be completely contradicting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Maybe it's just me but I have absolutely no idea what you're asking as you seem to be completely contradicting yourself.
    very confusing by OP alright but i think he meant that he used "dead in the water" instead of the word "unused". He wasn't saying that people used to say "dead in the water" but now they say "dead rubber".

I have no idea why though he said "dead in the water" because it doesnt mean the same as "unused" at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

He is saying the phrase "dead rubber" used to be "dead in the water." As in, it was never used, not that it is the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Dead Rubber= Used condom

Dead in the water= Should of pulled out a lot sooner!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Some words and phrases just have "Bouncebackability" after they seem not to be used for a while. But at this stage we just have to "take it one phrase at a time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe because we've had a lot more matches this season which by the end are actually Dead Rubber's?

I don't remember any other season where so many matches end with a massive gulf in scoreline (i.e 3+ goals in the difference). With a score like that, the last 20 minutes or so of the match are just a dead rubber (opposing team cant really do anything, might sneak a consolation but next to, or no, chance of winning)

I suspect someone may have made this comment a few times in the media earlier in the season, when Chelsea were steamrollering teams, and as is always the way, other journalists saw it, liked it and started using it a bit more as these matches keep cropping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Dead rubber doesnt apply in cases where the team are 3+ before the end of the match. It only applies when (before the match begins) the result will have no impact on who wins a league/group or progresses/qualilifies for next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Dead rubber doesnt apply in cases where the team are 3+ before the end of the match. It only applies when (before the match begins) the result will have no impact on who wins a league/group or progresses/qualilifies for next round.

yes, but that's obviously not the context in which it is being used. Comments like these have always been adapted to fit other sports or contexts. Strictly speaking, I would say none of the times it's been used this season have been completely correct. It has instead been adapted it seems to more mean that the match is over as a contest and the remaining time is essentially meaningless, which does stay true to the original spirit of the phrase.

Christ I really must review before i post again, I honestly thought i made sense when i started :D

I was originally saying that i have heard the term 'dead rubber' make a resurgence in commentary in relation to soccer, I thought the term was dead and buried ( unused by people anymore ) .Forget 'dead in the 'water' etc etc etc .

@twin - great pun!

@ rebel - you are more on the mark. there does seem to be alot of 'dead rubber' fixtures at present maybe the pundits have been watchin alot of cricket / tennis.

@ Rooney - christ man, throw me a rope when im drowning :p

Thank you all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I havent heard it used in that context but if i did id be really annoyed. It not hard understand what a dead rubber is. Regardless of how many goals a team is winning by, the result could still make a difference.

Eg. if Man Utd are level on points and GD wit Chelsea on the last weekend of the season and Chelsea are winning their match: It doesnt matter how much Utd are winning their match by, its not a "dead rubber".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I've only heard it in connection with ties in the 5th and 6th round of the Champions League and Europa League group phases - generally being used correctly. Haven't heard it mentioned in relation to a Premier League game and would be annoyed if they misused it such.
    It does seem to be an 'in vogue' phrase, though I'm sure in years to come they'll go back to the slightly less snappy 'not the most competive game expected tonight with neither team having much to play for'.

@ OP, you post was perfectly clear imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Dead Rubber and Dead in the Water are two entirely different things.

Dead In The Water = The team are done for, either in the match by losing by a few goals already or in a league system by being so far off the pace that they will most likely go down.

Dead Rubber = A game that has no significance at the end of a league system. i.e Bursaspor Vs Rangers in the 6th CL game this year, it had no significance on the outcome of the group.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure the term "Dead Rubber" comes from Bridge, where each round is known as a Rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

my ol' one plays bridge for Ireland and I can honestly say I never heard this term!

BUT

I too have noticed it being used in the press loads recently! Didnt know what the frucj they were talking about?!!

HOWEVER

I totally knew what the OP was saying - youse are all mental to not get his meaning.

Mentalers.

I clicked on to eurosport.com tonight and it was the first thing I saw. A drab stalemate in a dead rubber. When football is borrowing simultaneously from chess and bridge it doesn't say much.

On a side note it's criminal to play out a 0-0 draw in a meaningless match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Christ I really must review before i post again, I honestly thought i made sense when i started :D

I was originally saying that i have heard the term 'dead rubber' make a resurgence in commentary in relation to soccer, I thought the term was dead and buried ( unused by people anymore ) .Forget 'dead in the 'water' etc etc etc .

Your OP made sense to me man. Technically your inverted commas around the term ''dead in the water'' shouldn't have been there in your post but it was easy to what you were talking about. I don't know why some posters are making such a song and dance about it.

The term ''dead rubber'' is almost never correct for a football game. It should only apply to games where the result will have no effect on the outcome of the series, league or whatever. Sports like cricket, which have best-of-five series, have dead rubbers more often. Maybe there have been a few in the Europa League and CL final group games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I have noticed a sharp rise on the term 'Dead Rubber' in the printed press and also radio broadcast, Has anyone else noticed this ?is it a term you use.

Why the sudden upsurge? Am i crazy or was this term 'dead in the water' for the past number of years. :confused:

Yup guy in work used it today when referring to the Liverpool game and it wasn't really a term I was overly familiar with before today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The phrase is used, albeit incorrectly, in this article. The author does correct himself though.
    Already safely through to Friday's draw, Liverpool had given out free tickets to children in an attempt to engender a lively atmosphere for a dead rubber (although the visitors had a chance of qualifying). It was a fine gesture by the club but few new converts would have been gained. Groans tumbled from the Kop when Christian Poulsen kept losing the ball in the first half.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8204170/Liverpool-0-FC-Utrecht-0-match-report.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Slightly off topic, but I'd noticed the same with the term "11th hour". Out of nowhere I noticed it a lot in the papers...hadn't a clue at the time what it meant.

Its creaping in, I knew i wasnt crazy...

I for one dont like it! down with the rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thread of the year contender imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

It was used a few times by both the commentators and presenters on 3es coverage of the Liverpool match last night. I don't like it either, especially when its not used correctly.

On a positive note, we shouldn't hear it for a while now that the group stages are over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

from bbc football live text tonight:
    2005: JUVENTUS 1-1 MAN CITYJon Barbuti reports: "If, to set up a contrived summary, it's OK to say a team can be embarrassed by losing a dead rubber away at one of the historically great clubs in Europe, then Jo saved Man City's blushes.

Eurosport had the Juve-City match down as a used condom dead rubber also :D

I'm not sure if this is one of those things that you notice more when someone points it out or if it's becoming an epidemic. Thankfully the knockout stages should signal the end of it.

Advertisement