Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog too tired to train

• 15-12-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Thing are going well with my new pup. During the day he is ni doggy Creches and has a ball with his new playmates. The problem is that when i collect him in the evening he is knackered from the activity and just wants to snooze and lounge on the sofa making it difficult to get any obediance training done, as he just wants to kip.

Should I do something about this? Like really try wake him up? I understand that he will sleep a lot as he is just at the 12 week mark now age wise. Just worried that I am not being consistent in his training.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Food is a great motivator. Is the dog fully fed during the day by the creche?

Would it be possible to get them to only feed him half his food during the day and then you can leverage his hunger in the evening to get his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

well I give him his breakfast, they give him his lunch, then I give him his dinner feed when I get back. Have not tried the food motivator yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TBH I don't think you'll have any luck in the evenings if he's been at daycare/creche during the day!! When our guy goes to daycare (he's 15 months now) he can barely stay awake on the way home let alone do any training - and he's really greedy and food motivated lol!! My advice would be to lay the groundwork at the weekends so teach the commands then and use the weekdays for practice - eg before breakfast, before you feed him in the evening etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I have no advice to offer, just wanted to say how cute it was to imagine dogs being picked up from their creche and being flat out tired for the rest of the evening after a really busy day of play. Adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

isn`t he a dane pup? id be worried that hes not getting enough rest during the day tbh, maybe speak to them and ensure hes getting regular breaks to sleep on his own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

When I was talking to them yesterday they said he had 2-3 naps. He is sleeping with one of his puppy mates (by choice). Just think he might be the usual Dane being a lazy bugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Let the pup sleep being so young sleep is vital and just as important as any training. He's not lazy, pups at that age still sleep an awful lot, our pup needed regular naps until he was around the 6 month mark.

It's better he gets his sleep than trying to wake him up, if he's so tired he might snappy being so exhausted and sure it's like any of us if were banjaxed we can't function. Just keep in mind that 12 weeks is still at the baby stage.

Weekends can be used for basic obedience, dogs are clever so just be consistant on weekends and it should carry through.

As he gets older he will stay awake longer but for now allow him to have his sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kieron854

at 12 weeks all you should be donig is using his feed bowl to teach his name, come and sit so five mins in morning and at dinner . take your time he is only a baby

Advertisement