Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bony bum

• 15-12-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this is a bit of an odd question - but I don't want to look like a gombeen at the vets if this is normal!! :pac::pac:
    As some of you know my GR had an operation last month and has been on crate rest - he got his freedom from his crate last thurs and we've been having short walks since friday - he's delighted with himself and I'm terrified lol. While he was on crate rest he lost some weight - I cut his food back a little because he was getting extra treats etc. Anyhoos - he's been bearing weight mostly on his good leg but is starting to use the injured side more and more.

Yesterday I noticed on the bad side I can really feel 2 bones around his hip - on the good side I can just about feel 2 under his coat and muscle but they're really pointy on the bad side. Do you think it's just muscle wastage etc since he wasn't using the leg? He still has a baldy leg and bum too so I think this may be fooling me as well? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Def sounds like muscle wastage from being on crate rest. Because he has been shaved, you will feel everything much more anyway so it's probably not as bad as you think! Give him a few weeks of building back up and he should be fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks!! I thought as much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

sounds like muscle wastage, did shane give you some physio to start him on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

tazwaz wrote: »
    sounds like muscle wastage, did shane give you some physio to start him on?

Nope - just to start walking him and increase by 10 mins every 3-4 days.

Advertisement