Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTP Site - Please help

• 15-12-2010 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have set up my computer as an FTP server using filezilla or crossftp. I have forwarded port 21 on my netgear WG614v7 router. My IP is static and im using using googles DNS. I have set up a user account and have given access to my NAS drive. I can view the FTP site on my internal network. I cant view it when I access it from my external IP. The site does ask for my login however nothing is visible when I enter it. I tried changing the user root directory to a folder on my computers drive and still no luck. I have checked to make sure port 21 is open and it is. Its driving me nuts!!
    Can anyone out there help? Im new to boards.ie and heard its a good place to get questions answered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You need to select a higher port (over 5000) in filezilla and forward that , thats what i did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kungfu_Chuck

Cheers Ill try that later. So should I change the listening port in Filezilla to over 5000 or the user?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have set up my computer as an FTP server using filezilla or crossftp. I have forwarded port 21 on my netgear WG614v7 router. My IP is static and im using using googles DNS. I have set up a user account and have given access to my NAS drive. I can view the FTP site on my internal network. I cant view it when I access it from my external IP. The site does ask for my login however nothing is visible when I enter it. I tried changing the user root directory to a folder on my computers drive and still no luck. I have checked to make sure port 21 is open and it is. Its driving me nuts!!
    Can anyone out there help? Im new to boards.ie and heard its a good place to get questions answered.

It's ports 20 and 21 for FTP.

Thanks Spear however I already have those ports assigned to FTP and am still having issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I recently had an issue where I could see my proftpd server on my lan using the internal IP (192.168.1...) but when trying to access the external IP from within my LAN there were some NAT issues with my router which ended up with no directories being displayed.. (hope that makes sense??)

However when somebody outside my lan used the external IP they had no issues seeing the directories.

Maybe getting somebody outside your network to check the external IP for connectivity would be helpful?

• Advertisement

Thanks Tommycahir! Ill try that and let you know how I get on. The symptoms you described are what I am experiencing. I wonder if I should forward a port for every user I create? Any comments?

This Boards.ie place is great ill be back on myself and will give advice when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I would avoid opening ports on your router if possible. You only need port 21 open on the router and configured on the FTP server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

tommycahir wrote: »
    I would avoid opening ports on your router if possible. You only need port 21 open on the router and configured on the FTP server.

That depends on whether you'll be connecting to the FTP server in active or passive mode. There's a similar discussion here which might shed some light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Are you connected to your NAS as a mapped drive? If so that might be the problem. This is from Filezilla's FAQ:

Generally sharing network drives is not recommended, as all data has to be transferred twice. Just install FileZilla Server on the other machine instead. If you still want to share a network drives with FileZilla Server, make sure the account FileZilla Server runs under has access to the network drive. By default, FileZilla Server runs using the SYSTEM account. You can change the account FileZilla Server uses on the service page in the management console of Windows: Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> FileZilla Server FTP server -> Log On. However, even then sharing mapped network drives might not work since Windows networking has some bugs.

In general, mapped drives are not ideal regardless of what FTP server software you are using. Also, as stated above, make sure the Filezilla service has proper access rights on the NAS. Hope this helps.

Advertisement