Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam artist operating in Celbridge

Options
  • 15-12-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone in the Celbridge , Maynooth area ,

This morning I was on my way into Tescos in Celbridge , and this guy pulls up , rolls down the Window and calls me over.

I thought he was looking for Directions , so I went over ,

He asks if I speak Italian , Says he thought I was Italian because I was so well dressed :confused: Then begins the spiel of how he is in Dublin for 3 days ( Celbridge isnt in Dublin but he probably doesnt know that ) for a fashion show , and guess what , he has 3 leather jackets left over from the show he doesnt know what to do with ....

He stopped at that stage because I was laughing ... I asked him where his brother Rodney was .... he says , " I no Understand" , And I said , you know , Rodney , Del-Boys brother , .... and then I told him I had no interest in buying some fake plastic jacket from a stranger in a supermarket car park.

He says " No no no ... Good quality , look .... I just said yes , Luvverly Jubberly , and left him to it.

So , be on the lookout for this guy , hes driving a black yaris , is very well dressed , wears glasses , and is around 40-50 years old. He has the back seat stacked with his luggage , ( it wouldnt be in the boot because he needs the visual evidence to back up his story y,see ) and if you buy anything off him it will most likely fall apart in a couple of days.

This scam is so old its a wonder people are still trying it , but this is just a heads up in case anyone is not wise to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

This scam is so old if anyone falls for it, they deserve it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Only greedy idiots fall for this type of scam, good responses to the scammer though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

One of these guys approached me a few years ago in Clare, had been a piece in the local paper warning people of the scam so I knew all about it. I rang the cops straight away - local station about 600 meters from where the guy was located - and the response was " sure what are you ringing us for, we can't do anything about it " ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not just in Celbridge, this is done the world over, and very common at Christmas time. Buying anything out of the back of a van is going to be dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

One of these guys approached me a few years ago in Clare, had been a piece in the local paper warning people of the scam so I knew all about it. I rang the cops straight away - local station about 600 meters from where the guy was located - and the response was " sure what are you ringing us for, we can't do anything about it " ?

And they can't....to be fair. IT doesn't matter what story he uses. If you see the jacket and agree a price thats that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The guys to be Italian and drive Italian reg cars. Years ago I was broken down on the side of the N3 and waiting for a tow truck. One of these guys swerved out of the overtaking lane into the hard shoulder, gets out an walks back to me. Seeing the Italian reg, I think here's a couple of guys looking for directions. Not at all, he proceeds to give me the spiel about heading for the ferry and have a few jackets ...

Fortunately, the tow truck arrived mid sales pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

jor el wrote: »
    Not just in Celbridge, this is done the world over, and very common at Christmas time. Buying anything out of the back of a van is going to be dodgy.

Ah now that's a bit harsh. My sister bought a laptop of a couple of very nice guys in a van who just so happened to buy a couple too many, new in box and everything, and she's VERY happy with her phonebook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

This scam is so old if anyone falls for it, they deserve it.

I'd like to dedicate this post to my Dad and his lovely shirts and suede Jacket :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

andy1249 wrote: »
    hes driving a black yaris , wears glasses , .

That would have stopped me straight away, pure rep mobile........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

must be ten years ago since nealy word for word that happened me had a look at the jackets thought they might be worth a tenner fcuk they were the ugliest jackets i ever saw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Co. Kildare forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Hes still going around?!! I was parked up on at the Mainham cemetary on the way into Clane eating my lunch about two years ago and he pulled up beside me wanting to sell me a leather jacket. I told him I had no money to try and get rid of him and he offered to follow me to an ATM machine! Wouldnt take no for an answer; I think it took about twenty minutes and me damn near telling him to f**k off for him to go away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

had this tried on me ten years ago, was young and naive at the time, but was a student at the time and had no need for these and couldnt afford them being a student

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

:DWhy can't you get some mileage out of it;)

Try on a couple of jackets, complain that the sleeve is too short or long or something, don't like the shade etc. Waste his time for about fifteen minutes than walk away:D

I love when salespeople cold call to the door - It can keep me amused for ages:D You can argue absolute bull**** as facts, bemoad the fact that they are always companies that have helpdesks abroad, provide very low levels of employment in Ireland etc. Best of all is when you get that phonecall from India about 19:30 as you are finishing the glass of wine from your dinner and herself has gone to watch the soaps. My record is one hour and thirty eight minutes going through Agent, Supervisor, Manager and so called Legal Rep in sequence:)

I'm really looking forward to the politicans coming around:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

One of these lads pulled into our driveway and stopped me on the way to work. After me politely telling him yo f**k off for 10 minutes I eventually asked out of curiousity why he had to sell them and he told me he could only fit two of the three (jackets) into his hand luggage....to which I suggested "Sure why don't you just wear one then?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

niallon wrote: »
    One of these lads pulled into our driveway and stopped me on the way to work. After me politely telling him yo f**k off for 10 minutes I eventually asked out of curiousity why he had to sell them and he told me he could only fit two of the three (jackets) into his hand luggage....to which I suggested "Sure why don't you just wear one then?"

if he literally pulled into your driveway, I'd tell him I'm calling the Gardai for tresspass if he doesnt F off

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Same thing happened to me in the car park in Tesco in Maynooth. Must have been 2-3 years ago though. Same story - was just finished an exhibition in a hotel and was on the way to the airport and couldn't fit the jackets into his bag.

Presume its the same guy - mad that he is still doing the rounds.

I was instantly suspicious when he tried to tell me the 12 year old Merc he was driving was a rental car from Hertz!

I declined to buy a jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

He got my brother 5 years ago in dublin handed over 200 euro for 3 jackets that looked like bondage suits,Never laughed so hard in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Fashionized

LOL! Sounds really creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

if he literally pulled into your driveway, I'd tell him I'm calling the Gardai for tresspass if he doesnt F off

that was my Plan B, but A went down a treat! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Rosahane wrote: »

Try on a couple of jackets, complain that the sleeve is too short or long or something, don't like the shade etc. Waste his time for about fifteen minutes than walk away:D

I love when salespeople cold call to the door - It can keep me amused for ages:D You can argue absolute bull**** as facts, bemoad the fact that they are always companies that have helpdesks abroad, provide very low levels of employment in Ireland etc. Best of all is when you get that phonecall from India about 19:30 as you are finishing the glass of wine from your dinner and herself has gone to watch the soaps. My record is one hour and thirty eight minutes going through Agent, Supervisor, Manager and so called Legal Rep in sequence:)

The long cold winter nights must fly by in your house!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭smares

Another little scam I suppose you could call it a scam but i just can't see anyone falling for it.

In the Clane area about a month ago my Dad was pulling out of Super Valu carpark when a man around 50ish started waving at him and rolled down his window,so my dad rolled his window down and this man started saying how was my dad keeping and all the family and it had been ages since he seen him, so my dad at first said to him sorry do I know you?

Which he replied do you not remember we had a few pints there in clane a year or two ago(funny thing my dad does not drink) so Dad played along and said yeah he remembered. After a little chat of pure waffle acting like he was a long lost friend he asked was there any chance of following him down to the petrol station as he was low and had no cash on him and would dad mind popping in 50 euro petrol and he would get him back again.(not even a tenner but 50)!
    Obviously he was told where to go but it happened to my friend and my brother only two weeks ago.
    They all said he is so convincing that he makes you think you might actually know him , but the minute the old line of business is bad or he is low on cash could you get me some petrol, some how gives it away!!

Anyway just thought i would warn you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

HeHe, +1 on all this, my favourite is when Jehovahs Witnesses/Scientologists/Save the planet society or whatever other nutcases call to the door I simply engage them in a philosophical debate about the meaning of life, they usually go away after about 15 minutes, strangely enough I haven't had a cold call to the door for about 10 months:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Just make sure the distraction doesn't give the scammer other opportunities, for example to lift your wallet, or for his mate to swipe something out of the car, or make off with the car itself.

Advertisement