Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Speed - not getting full 8mb

• 15-12-2010 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if you could have a look at my line. I seem to be only getting 6144/512 instead of the full ~8000. I can PM my phone number. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if you could have a look at my line. I seem to be only getting 6144/512 instead of the full ~8000. I can PM my phone number. Cheers.

Hi Kinetic,

If you private message mw with your eircom telephone number I will check that out for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Kinetic^,

Thanks for your details I will check it out and get back to you later in the week.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Any update on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Any update on this?

Hi kinetic

I can see your line can accept approx 7Mb and has been set to 6mg to offer a constand speed. Setting speed to 7Mg may cause intermittand connection drop. If you would like these settings revised you should give our tech support team a call on 1890260260 and they may be able to change this.
    Hope this helps. If any problems let me know.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me. Is there a better broadband plan for me then? If I'm paying for 8 and only getting 75% of that then I'm throwing away money.

• Advertisement

Hi Kinetic^,

I understand your frustration, however all NGB packages are up to 8MB speeds. Although the NGB is still subject to line limitations. However the NGB will insure that your bradband is constantly as close to 8MB that the line can take day or nightm,

Thanks, Mark

Hi Kinetic^,

I understand your frustration, however all NGB packages are up to 8MB speeds. Although the NGB is still subject to line limitations. However the NGB will insure that your bradband is constantly as close to 8MB that the line can take day or nightm,

Thanks, Mark

I find that a bit silly. How about I pay Eircom up to €40? It's fine for you guys to say "up to" but if it's me and I pay you say, 30 this month and then 40 the next, it's me who will have my service cut off or demanding letters on my doorstep. Whoever came up with these plans is a complete moron.

It's either 8mb or it's not. If it's not 8mb then I don't want to paying for 8mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I find that a bit silly. How about I pay Eircom up to €40? It's fine for you guys to say "up to" but if it's me and I pay you say, 30 this month and then 40 the next, it's me who will have my service cut off or demanding letters on my doorstep. Whoever came up with these plans is a complete moron.

It's either 8mb or it's not. If it's not 8mb then I don't want to paying for 8mb.

Hi Kinetic

eircom's NGB broadband was designed to upgrade customers to the fastest speeds available on their line while eliminating congestion. This was a free upgrade and did not cost the customer extra.
    In the case where a customer had previously paid for 1mb or 3mb broadband, that customer, where possible, was automatically upgraded to speeds of up to 8mb, therefore receiving both better and non-congested speeds at the same price as previous package.
    It can appear unfair not to be able to receive 'full' 8mb, but as Mark pointed out, the speed is contingent on line and distance.
    I understand this does not increase your own speed from 7mb to 8mb, but I hope it does explain the upgrade.
    Tony

Phone lines have physical limits on the speeds they can handle. I have no love for eircom but this is such a silly complaint. If you have a problem with the laws of physics, eircom aren't the people to whine to. Switch to a slower (and cheaper) package or ISP.

Advertisement