Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flexible Tripods in Aldi [€9.99]

• 15-12-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15243.htm

Been on sale since last Thursday seemingly, I picked one up last night. Seem to be a cheap gorilla-type tripod. I didn't get a chance to test it yet, but the box claims it supports 3,000 grams - I figured it was worth a chance for a tenner.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

They've been on Aldi a good few times and a few threads on them.

I was actually gonna pick one up the other day when i seen it, but I really don't know if I'd trust my gear on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Not bad for a tenner. Often wished I had something like it in the bag while out and about, especially at night when I've no tripod with me.

Holds 3KG? Should be fine if that's the case. I don't have any combination that even makes 2kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

They seem fairly sturdy, so worth getting, if even to only hold an external remote flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Good idea! Would save having to carry a tripod or light stand along to outdoor shoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Gonna check my local store, have my 1D MKII with my 50mm to check if it's up to the job, if not I'll give it to someone as a present :pac:

• Advertisement

All gone :/

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

loads in aldi in clane if your around there ,bought one tonight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Finally got around to testing it this evening, very chuffed with it. When I took it out of the box I was dubious, it's so light and the feel of it doesn't inspire confidence, but it's sturdy out. Supported my 40d and 17-85 no hassle.

phpAIslgnPM.jpg

phppAkdVDPM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hmm, I might pick up one so... There's loads left in my local (Leixlip, celbridge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Is there different thread sizes on them? I bought one without looking at it properly but the thread is too big to screw into my camera :(

The one I got was red, maybe that one has a bigger thread size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Is there different thread sizes on them? I bought one without looking at it properly but the thread is too big to screw into my camera :(

The one I got was red, maybe that one has a bigger thread size?

I actually thought mine was too big - but there's a screw adapter that comes screwed onto the tripod when you take it out of the box. It took me a good five minutes to realise it was already screwed on, when I took it off it revealed the appropriate thread size. Maybe this is the same situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

I actually thought mine was too big - but there's a screw adapter that comes screwed onto the tripod when you take it out of the box. It took me a good five minutes to realise it was already screwed on, when I took it off it revealed the appropriate thread size. Maybe this is the same situation?

Spot on! How I dodn't spot that I dont know :o

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

All gone in aldi clane......

chisel wrote: »
    All gone in aldi clane......
    No way was heading out to buy a couple more for mates in a camera club ho hum

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

The wifey told me she picked one up in Aldi Ashbourne today, one of only two remaining :) I'm glad to see it fitting/holding the 40D as I have a 50D and same lens, looking forward to using it as my Slik 700DX is a monster indoors.

might try the aldi in celbridge tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Third Eye

There was lots of them in Wexford the other day when I got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks OP. Two now left in Cobh.

There were 3 in Aldi in Naas. 1 left now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

it's snowing so I'm never gonna find out whether they were in cavan aldi :(:(

• Advertisement

Picked up 1 in Tralee 2 left! Holds a 1D mkII and 50mm so I'm pleased, the last gorilla pod I got for £20 didn't even hold a 20D and 28-105( non is & non usm) so I'm happy!I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

None left in Nutgrove yesterday, quite annoying as I spent ages getting into the car park. I had the mini gorilla pod for a point and shoot, wanted to get the SLR one but its too pricey, that would have done the job.

Was there a brand name on the box? Might see if I can get it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Really handy, just got one in tralee, fits 500d perfectly, there are about 6 left between red and grey for anyone interested in picking one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Danbo! wrote: »
    None left in Nutgrove yesterday, quite annoying as I spent ages getting into the car park. I had the mini gorilla pod for a point and shoot, wanted to get the SLR one but its too pricey, that would have done the job.

Was there a brand name on the box? Might see if I can get it online.

Tevion - Vision.

If you can't match the price, give me a shout and I can get one for you here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

JustinOval wrote: »
    Tevion - Vision.

If you can't match the price, give me a shout and I can get one for you here.

Cheers for the offer, found one on amazon for 9.99 that supports up to 3Kg, gotta order a few other bits from them in a week or so, so ill give it a try, thanks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭chevron

I have looked in 3 or 4 Aldis and Lidls between dublin and kildare and all were out of stock,
    Are they THAT much in demand? or just picked up as stocking fillers for people.
    Not a product i was expecting to fly out the door.

And just for proof, A 1DMKII plus battery with a sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Works out about 2.9kg!
    7A3258967F594BC782563516D067C0FB-0000316135-0002083640-00800L-2FB865F3F1AF406789FFCCF37974B1D6.jpg
    Excuse the mess :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Feeling like a right numpty for shelling out full retail for a gorillapod now! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Bunch of these left in Aldi's Athlone store...both red and grey.

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    And just for proof, A 1DMKII plus battery with a sigma 70-200 f/2.8

Works out about 2.9kg!

Excuse the mess :pac:

Might want to remove the gps co-ords from your exif ;):)

Nforce wrote: »
    Might want to remove the gps co-ords from your exif ;):)

I knew there was something I didn't turn off on my iPhone :pac:

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

The one time it actually pin pointed my location, Usually 50 km or so out!

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I knew there was something I didn't turn off on my iPhone :pac:

Thanks for pointing that out! :)

The one time it actually pin pointed my location, Usually 50 km or so out!

No problem :)

Wouldn't want some scumbag breaking into your place and nicking your new shiney tripod,would we? :D:p:)

one tripod left in aldi in naas tonight :)

Advertisement