Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BUDGET 2011/ GRANT CUTS !!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

marti8 wrote: »
    We asked them (VEC and CoCo) how do they determine distances and they said they didn't know :confused:

Why isn't that surprising?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

I asked Micheal Martin yesterday and he ignored that part of my question!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stripey sox

Students voting tomorrow should be aware of what Fine Gael have instore. Fine Gael are pro tuition fees and graduate tax. Therefore should they attain a majority we can say goodbye to our grants and say hello to 12,000 debt on graduation.

Be careful with your vote!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Students voting tomorrow should be aware of what Fine Gael have instore. Fine Gael are pro tuition fees and graduate tax. Therefore should they attain a majority we can say goodbye to our grants and say hello to 12,000 debt on graduation.

Source please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Absolutely false.

Every major party is proposing a fee for students, there's a general concensious on it, roughly 2k per year, and grants will not be abolished. FG are proposing a gradutation tax down the line which will be levied when graduates reach a certain income treshold, and every party is in favour of this, and the reason is to prevent a brain drain where the Irish tax payer pays for education of students who then move abroad and other economies benefit. It's a preventetive measure and is supported across the board.

In fact, FG are the only party I'm aware of who aren't looking for it up front. Labour want a student loan system similar to the united states! (i.e. graduated 10's of thousands in debt!)

I'm not part of any political party, I just hate people using boards.ie to canvas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Absolutely false.

Every major party is proposing a fee for students, there's a general concensious on it, roughly 2k per year, and grants will not be abolished. FG are proposing a gradutation tax down the line which will be levied when graduates reach a certain income treshold, and every party is in favour of this, and the reason is to prevent a brain drain where the Irish tax payer pays for education of students who then move abroad and other economies benefit. It's a preventetive measure and is supported across the board.

In fact, FG are the only party I'm aware of who aren't looking for it up front. Labour want a student loan system similar to the united states! (i.e. graduated 10's of thousands in debt!)

I'm not part of any political party, I just hate people using boards.ie to canvas.

No offence but how exactly would a graduate tax prevent a brain drain? In fact I'd guess it might have the opposite effect, it would encourage people to leave the jurisdiction to look for work. Why stay in Ireland and get a job and pay a graduate tax when you can go to country a, b or c, get a job and not have to worry about paying any such tax?

I'm not sure whether Labour want a student loan system or not, if they do I would assume it would be along the lines of the UK model than that of the US model. Anyway, I for one will not be voting FG/FF or Green. Labour won't be getting my 1st pref either. A one party government would be a very dangerous thing and people need to recognise that fact. We need balance in any government.

The problem is if not enough people vote Labour and FG get a good turn out but are still a couple of seats short of an overall majority they may well look to Jackie Healy Rae type independents for support rather than looking to Labour, that wouldn't be good for the country. A government yet again held to ransom by parochial, gombeen, parish pump independents. Lets hope Labour get a strong turn out for the sake of balance within the next government.

Advertisement