Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hubbie - update house deeds

Options
  • 15-12-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hullo

I bought our house over 10 years ago... in my name. Then met my OH and he has been living with me in the hosue for the past 10 years. We recently made it official and got married.
    So my understanding is that by LAW the house is now legally half of his.

However, the deeds are still in my name only - the life assurance and the mortgage protections are still in my name only.

What do I need to do to put my husbands name on the deeds... and does that mean effectively we are "re-mortgaging"!?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I had a similar query and spoke to my bank. They said i would have to re-apply for the mortgage in order to change the names. It should be okay if you are adding a person, its a problem if you're removing one (which is what i was doing).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't think it actually matters if his name is not on the deeds. The law protects his rights of ownership because it was common years ago for a house and mortgage to be solely in the name of the husband ( this was indeed the case for my parents for example).

It does make life more convenient if you pop your clogs first though as there is no complicated process to follow after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

It'll cost about €1,000 to change the deeds, and your solicitor should be able to do it in accordance with the bank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Unwilling wrote: »
    Hullo

So my understanding is that by LAW the house is now legally half of his.

?!

That is completely wrong.
    You cannot sell the house without his consent and there are restrictions on whom you can will the property to.He does not have ownership. In a separation the house would be considered an asset available to be used as the court saw fit, whether by ordering the sale or otherwise.
    You do not have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kosseegan wrote: »
    That is completely wrong.
    You cannot sell the house without his consent and there are restrictions on whom you can will the property to.He does not have ownership. In a separation the house would be considered an asset available to be used as the court saw fit, whether by ordering the sale or otherwise.
    You do not have to do anything.
    I would largely agree with this. I would advise you both to have your wills updated (your marriage may void your existing will).

• Advertisement
Advertisement