Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WORLD OF DARKNESS

• 15-12-2010 2:01pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Greetings one and all. I invite you to step through the veil with me to a world much like our own*. The only difference is, the monsters are real. That creepy old house down the street. Yeah, there really is a ghost bound to the place. Don't go down that alley, there be more than just a stray dog waiting for you. There's creatures that thirst for your blood and flesh, your soul and your passions. Now what force will you join with upon entry?

Me personally, I am a Bone Gnawer Garou who lives to serve justice above the law.

* Look here first please. I prefer stuff from the Old World, but I can muddle through the new.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Uh... is this an actual RP thread?

I'll whip up a character if so. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I was thinking this is more for people to explore what type of character they would enjoy playing around as. Pick anything folks. I ran a Vampire: The Masquerade game that brought in shapeshifters of various breeds, mages of assorted stripes, and other things that go bump in the night.

Ooooh ok.

Well in that case I have an affinity for both the Gangrel Vampires and the Fianna.

The Gangrel appeal to me because they represent the feral and the wild Vampires, but can be played from nature loving right up to maniacally crazy.

I must say in particular high humanity Gangrel fascinate me as an idea- imagine a Gangrel in wolf form, passing through a Garou pack, smelling free of wyrm taint, but obviously different... of course due to animalism he can understand them too...

As for the Garou, I am Fianna through and through.

This is NOT just because of the obvious and quite boring affinity I would have for the Irish werewolves.

I think there's a problem in the way werewolf was designed. Too many tribes (red talons, get of fenris, and a few others come to mind) can be hugely disruptive if played correctly, being standoffish, sometimes racist and argumentative to the point of harming their own.

The Fianna are the heart and soul of a pack, they're Galliards, fast to defend their friends and (sometimes lacking in the WoD) fast to humour.

That's why I like them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I always favored Bone Gnawers among the wolves, Brujah Vampires, and Hollow Ones among mages.

The Gnawers to me represent the supporting cast every great epic requires. That and they do their best to represent the people so many of the other tribes tend to forget about in their great struggle against the enemy. Like they say, every great hero probably had one of us standing behind him apologizing to the people whose house he just destroyed.

The Brujah are what I am in reality. Highly intelligent, yet given to violent rage. Played properly they can really liven a game up fantastically.(Had a fellow play one in the game I used to run who swore I was his inspiration for his student of Hegel and Marx who was also a former boxer)

The Hollowers just seem to be the most in touch with the real world out of the mages for me. True, they dress funny. However, it is their devotion to the true idea of Romance that attracts me to them.

The Brujah are what I am in reality. Highly intelligent, yet given to violent rage. Played properly they can really liven a game up fantastically.(Had a fellow play one in the game I used to run who swore I was his inspiration for his student of Hegel and Marx who was also a former boxer)

That's funny, to me the Brujah were always the ones who start fights, the Gangrel are the ones who are called in to end it (potence and celerity are all very well and good, but unless you've got some fortitude stashed away those protean claws are doing alot of ag damage, whereas blood and fortitude will take care of that nasty potence).

Of course you're correct a well played Brujah could of course be quite a noble creature who has a tendency to rage violently. In my experience of larps though they were rarely played that way :(

• Advertisement

I worked quite extensively with all my players on their characters so they would able to play them well, and not fall back on stereotypical behavior. Probably why I had a Malkavian with a gambling fixation. Liked his habit of making all decisions based on coin toss, or cut of the cards though.

I worked quite extensively with all my players on their characters so they would able to play them well, and not fall back on stereotypical behavior. Probably why I had a Malkavian with a gambling fixation. Liked his habit of making all decisions based on coin toss, or cut of the cards though.

I played a Malk once who thought he was in a movie. That was quite fun, I spent alot of time doing what logically a character in a movie would do as opposed to what might always be the best thing to do.

But yeah a well thought out character helps sooooo much.

That and a Storyteller who can think quick when people start making choices they had not planned for. Well designed characters help there as well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I think I took the brown acid! Not the brown acid! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I always liked Gangrel and Brujah though I did prefer Werewolf more and my favourite was Fianna and Get of Fenris, I liked the Get because they were assholes and I like Vikings. Favourite auspice was always Galliard.

Feeling all nostalgic that my 3rd ed collectors edition with its snazzy foiled edge pages never got a gaming. *sniff*

• Advertisement

I always favored the Philodox auspice meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I think I took the brown acid! Not the brown acid! :eek:

Anything but the brown acid!

Maguined wrote: »
    I always liked Gangrel and Brujah though I did prefer Werewolf more and my favourite was Fianna and Get of Fenris, I liked the Get because they were assholes and I like Vikings. Favourite auspice was always Galliard.

Feeling all nostalgic that my 3rd ed collectors edition with its snazzy foiled edge pages never got a gaming. *sniff*

My gf of the time got me that special edition. It always felt like the silver gilt on the edges hurt my fingers. A serious thing of beauty though!

Me, I go for Philo too. In roleplaying terms, it's a good character to play (ragabash (tricksters) and ahroun (warriors) tend, again, to unbalance things if done by a less than skillful player)

You hit quite well on the reasoin sir foir me banning certain vamoire clans from my game altogether. Oh, I admitted they existed just none were in my city. Also I amde it clear if I needed to use one of them for anything I would be running them as NPC's. I actually had one person demand to be a Gargoyle(because they can fly).

You hit quite well on the reasoin sir foir me banning certain vamoire clans from my game altogether. Oh, I admitted they existed just none were in my city. Also I amde it clear if I needed to use one of them for anything I would be running them as NPC's. I actually had one person demand to be a Gargoyle(because they can fly).

Lol.

My biggest game I ever ran was pretty much a free for all but basically as it was set in Ireland anyone who stepped out of line would have to fight the Fianna. It had been running so long though at one point I had societies for 4 of the games (never filled out the land of the dead :) ) so it was more the story of individuals than a pack or clan.

That takes alot of time though and I could never do it now, even if I had the urge.

Lol.

My biggest game I ever ran was pretty much a free for all but basically as it was set in Ireland anyone who stepped out of line would have to fight the Fianna. It had been running so long though at one point I had societies for 4 of the games (never filled out the land of the dead :) ) so it was more the story of individuals than a pack or clan.

That takes alot of time though and I could never do it now, even if I had the urge.
    I let them have Gargoyles for a one-off set in WW2 against a Tzimisce and his war-ghouls. Course in our regular game they met Corax, a Ratkin or two, members of most clans in passsing, my regular werewolf, and even a few magi of different traditions. Never had a wraith in it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

The walls are melting

Fewcifur wrote: »
    The walls are melting
    Well stop hanging around Ecstasy Cultists.

Well stop hanging around Ecstasy Cultists.

Ah, Rose.

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=335

Slightly NSFW...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=338

I'd forgotten I'd attached the drawings of plot points from my WoD story to my boards acount :)

She's a Cultist, started out as a PC but became a main NPC in my campaign.

Advertisement