Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone fix my desktop pc?

• 15-12-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi
    I have a 2006 Dell desktop pc that's always been a great backup (i mostly use my laptop) andyway it died, so took it to the computer repaire place locally.
    They told me the motherboard is kaput and it would cost me €350 for them to fix it!!! Needless to say I took it back (this after paying €70 for them just to examine it.

I can't afford a new one, am wary of buying second-hand because as you probably guessed I'm clueless when it comes to computers.

Is there anyone who can repair this for me at a reasonable fee?
    Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

If the motherboard is gone, there might not be a whole lot else you can do to get it fixed. What's the model of the dekstop, you might be able to get the board second hand on ebay for a more reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

JacksonB wrote: »
    I have a 2006 Dell desktop pc that's always been a great backup (i mostly use my laptop) andyway it died ....Is there anyone who can repair this for me at a reasonable fee?

It depends on the model number. No matter how it's fixed, it's likely to involve second-hand parts but there's a good market for Dell bits so you should be okay. Whereabouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you wanted to research in to replacing a motherboard yourself I'm sure you could get one off eBay that'll do the trick.

What's the make/model of the machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JacksonB

Thanks, I'll check the model no of the machine when i get home and post it here.
    Not much point in me trying to buy and replace the motherboard myself as I wouldn't even know what one looks like.
    I'm based in Bray and basically what I need is someone who can get the parts and fix this for me cheaper than the repair centre.

Will post the model no later
    Cheers

I'm based in Bray and basically what I need is someone who can get the parts and fix this for me cheaper than the repair centre.

For €349 I'll buy the parts, drive to Bray from Galway, stay in a posh hotel for the weekend, maybe take in a show in the O2 and fix the PC for you ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll check the model no of the machine when i get home and post it here.
    Not much point in me trying to buy and replace the motherboard myself as I wouldn't even know what one looks like.

Will post the model no later
    Cheers

It'll probably look something like this.

It'd be no harm to have a go yourself. I mean do you know anyone who would be a "techie" if you're nervous about opening up and removing parts from your machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well you're definitely being ripped off there anyway. There's no way any motherboard dell uses is that expensive to get, and as for replacing it... simple job(especially for a repair place). If you've ever played with lego you're qualified to build a PC

Well you're definitely being ripped off there anyway. There's no way any motherboard dell uses is that expensive to get, and as for replacing it... simple job(especially for a repair place). If you've ever played with lego you're qualified to build a PC

Love it. :pac:

Well, you never had the risk of getting an electric shock from lego!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

You could be lucky and could just be a capacitor or two blown on the board, (has happened on a few dell boards I've seen) if that was the case would only cost a few cent too replace them. If you tell me the model number of your pc, I can point you in the direction of what motherboard to buy and when you get it I can fit it for free for you if your willing to drive out toward liffey valley shopping centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If it's standard case you would be able to get a spurious mainboard into it. The board would cost around €60 and the os woudl have to be reinstalled. There would be a bit of time involved in sorting it out , I'd say someone would be happy to do it for about half the price you were quoted.

If your getting the board yourself make sure you it fits into your case and is suitable to take your Cpu and Ram.

Edit just seen kind offer from deceit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

chin_grin wrote: »
    Love it. :pac:

Well, you never had the risk of getting an electric shock from lego!

Well unless you attempt to change parts when it's plugged in / on, you've no chance of getting a shock from the PC either. It's got more of a chance of being shocked by you!

Well unless you attempt to change parts when it's plugged in / on, you've no chance of getting a shock from the PC either. It's got more of a chance of being shocked by you!

So that's why I wore an anti-static wristband when putting together lego!

(I'm pretty sure I meant the other way around........something to do about 'being earthed' I dunno it's late in the day! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

A friend of mine experienced exactly the same as the OP. He gave up and bought a new one before letting me check it out. It is a Dell Dimension 5100.
    Anyway, he asked me if I wanted it for parts. I took it and the problem at the end was a faulty power supply (took me a while to figure it out because it was intermittent). It cost me €30 for a replacement one in adverts.ie. Two years later it is still running nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

this after paying €70 for them just to examine it.

That diagnostic fee is the same as I charge for a repair, maybe I should review my prices :p

If you can't find the exact motherboard, you may be able to source a compatible one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The Problem I've found with Spurious Boards in Dell's is nothing is Compatible, memory wont work propriotry power supply connectors, so it ends up costing you more for new Ram and PSU

21/25

Hi
    I have a 2006 Dell desktop pc that's always been a great backup (i mostly use my laptop) andyway it died, so took it to the computer repaire place locally.
    They told me the motherboard is kaput and it would cost me €350 for them to fix it!!! Needless to say I took it back (this after paying €70 for them just to examine it.

I can't afford a new one, am wary of buying second-hand because as you probably guessed I'm clueless when it comes to computers.

Is there anyone who can repair this for me at a reasonable fee?
    Thanks a mil.

Before you do anything else have a look into the usb connectors on the pc and make sure they are not damaged/bent creating a short circut. If those pins short out it will stop your pc from working.

Thats quite a common fault these days.

uch wrote: »
    The Problem I've found with Spurious Boards in Dell's is nothing is Compatible, memory wont work propriotry power supply connectors, so it ends up costing you more for new Ram and PSU

Dell have used standard atx power supplies in their pc's for years now, Memory will work once you know what type that is in the dell and buy a board to suit.

Apologies for delay in getting back here, Christmas and all that.
    It's a Dell Dimension 5150, if thats any help and no way would I attempt to even open the box, let alone replace the motherboard!

As I said, totally clueless re computers. Thats why I brought it to the
    so-called repair centre. Is it really worth my while bothering to get this fixed or should I try to buy a more recent second-hand desktop through adverts.ie?

Though then again I could so easily be conned - much like buying a used car!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If you replace with the same motherboard that's in already, that would be easiest for you.But if you use a different one, you'll have to re-activate Windows, and download and install new device drivers.

The main thing to look for is a motherboard that is the same socket as yours. That way your current processor will fit into the new motherboard.

Many thanks for the advice but honestly I don't know anything about computers so that's why I can't fix this myself, I need someone to do it for me!
    If you or anyone knows someone dependable who can fix this I'd really appreciate it.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

have you looked into the usb ports to see if they are damaged?

No damage to the ports that I can see. The problem started intermittently, it would start fine one day, then not, then was ok again, finally wouldn't boot up at all.
    I had a guy check the power unit, he replaced the battery twice, started up then died again, for good.

Thats when I took it to the repair centre..I have no idea of the workings of computers!

It's a Dell Dimension 5150

Replacement motherboard on eBay here

If you buy it then you could get someone else vaguely technical to fit it for you. Of course the problem might not be the motherboard but it seems likely.

Or buy a whole replacement machine for €150 here

Thanks bhickey, I'd grab that pc if the guy wasnt in Waterford and insists on collection only. Bit of a trek from Bray.

Maybe I'll hang fire till after Xmas and hope people will have bought upgrades so selling off an older model like this that would suit perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think I'd trust somewhere that wants 350 to repair a PC, when you can buy a whole fully working PC for 150.

The Dell 5150 had a custom BTX board and an atx psu. You'd have to get a direct Dell replacement motherboard from ebay as was posted earlier. Assuming its the motherboard. If you could borrow a ATX PSU from somewhere you could test that yourself. Rather than all that messing, personally I'd buy another working PC and sell your old one for parts.

Or build one yourself, or get someone else to do it for you. http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055278463&page=46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If you wait until the new year you can drop out too myself when I am not busy and will diagnose whats wrong with it, tell you what to buy and when you buy it you can come back to me and I will fit it, just has to be times when i'm not busy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Name and shame the repair place you took it to and then show them this thread. That is shocking on their behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I agree with the name and shame.
    Id say it would cost a small fortune to send the pc to Bray from Waterford.
    I live in Waterford so if you want to try to sort shipping I can have it collected for you (My brother actually lives in Bunmahon).

He would probably take 100 for it if he is going to take 120 and drive to Clonmel.

Advertisement