Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber bandits {merge}

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

RobR wrote: »
    The teenagers and kids of today are as likely to be led to take drugs from this song as they are to be led to believe that the way to get the girl is to indeed, have a horse outside.

I dunno.....it worked for Zorro..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I think that south and west Ireland find it a little bit funnier than the general Dublin area simply because of the sense of humour in it, its very "rural" in their references and I think Dublin people can't really relate so much to it. Your going to have mixed opinions on it, Paddy living in a bungalow down in a field in West Field Farm is going to find it a bit funnier than Maxwell who is living in an apartment in South Dublin and who works in graphic design for Stellar magazine

Not really true, everyone in my area gets it, maybe because in working class areas in Dublin there are horses everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

ascanbe wrote: »
    Just noticed there's a horse outside in my front garden...of all the things.

Cool post bro

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Not really true, everyone in my area gets it, maybe because in working class areas in Dublin there are horses everywhere
    Only in finglas and tallafornia..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

godscop wrote: »
    Only in finglas and tallafornia..;)
    ballyer, crumlin, ballymun

• Advertisement

Crosáidí wrote: »
    ballyer, crumlin, ballymun

Fair enough..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wasn't referring to my mental energy .. the whole country is talking about this video. A disproportionate amount of people's attention is being diverted down this harmless and pointless avenue of debate while Rome burns.

No wonder the politicians are jumping on to this.

Did not say that boy racers or whoever they are getting weren't worthy of ridicule though.
    Do you spend every waking minute obsessing about the state of the economy? Does it do you or anyone else any good? No. Enjoying something that brings a smile to your face doesn't take anything away from your opinion of other matters. It's not like your allowed to think about one thing at a time.

You might as well give out to any one who sits down to watch tele in the evening, that's a complete waste of time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

i thought it was funny when the third or fourth caller (Marty i think?) came on and Blindboy yelled out ABOY MARTY! Marty sounded a bit startled and replied 'how's it going blind boy' and then there was this little perturbed silence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kimia wrote: »
    i thought it was funny when the third or fourth caller (Marty i think?) came on and Blindboy yelled out ABOY MARTY! Marty sounded a bit startled and replied 'how's it going blind boy' and then there was this little perturbed silence.

They work together on Republic of Telly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In all honesty anyone who takes offense to this song because it 'demeans' Limerick or promotes drug culture needs to get an education. Limerick is not even mentioned the only geographical location mention is a street so it is the subjective response of the viewer that gives Limerick its bad reputation.

It reminds me of the reception Synge's 'Playboy of the Western World' received when it aired in the Abbey. Ireland at the time was very undereducated and most of the plebs didn't understand the play and caused a riot.

Im not comparing Synge and the rubberbandits by any means only the reception of the works.

Once again though history repeats itself.
    Note to all the plebs who don't understand the video or song go read a book and educate yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Most read article on the Irish Times now: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/1216/1224285643246.html?via=mr

Whoever suggested that Des Bishop might be one of the Bandits needs her head examined.

Fair play to the 2 boys, they've been making great tunes for years and now it's good to see that a lot of people outside of Limerick "get" them. They are 100 times funnier if you've ever encountered the type of character they're sending up (I imagine everyone in Limerick, Cork and Dublin has met dopes like this by now). The timing for that video is perfect too, the country needs some serious comic relief after the last few months.

The cynic in me says that Willie O'Dea has found himself supporting them because he saw the backlash to Cowen's reaction to the nude paintings last year and he reckons that taking it in a good-humoured way would go down a lot better with the voters. Fair play to him for being able to laugh at them though.

As for Joe Duffy, let him and his Irish Taliban listenership wallow in their hypocritical disgrace, what a waste of airtime :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭phill106

recipio wrote: »
    :mad: the video is crass, offensive and sinister. It eulogises the drug culture,
    violence, traveller culture and is degrading to women.
    I don't think this would make it on to any UK or european TV networks as they have something even RTE lack - a code of respect.
    In the end it makes Limerick the laughing stock of the nation and Willie O' Dea is a spineless opportunist.
    To those who think its 'great craic' try arguing that at your next job inteview and see your career slide down the toilet.
    I despair of this country.

So just to confirm, there is to be questions regarding whether people like the "horse outside" video on all job interviews from now on? Will the questions be on just that video, or their previous work? I really must contact the recruitment agencies, they are really letting me down here!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you mean "dermot" not Marty.

you mean "dermot" not Marty.

There was definitely a 'something -y' at the end though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

There was definitely a 'something -y' at the end though...

It's Dermot Whelan,

They slag calling him Marty after Marty Whelan.

It's a joke :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It's Dermot Whelan,

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

My tuppence worth... Previous Irish Christmas no 1's.

Stan (Eminem), Chocolate Salty Balls (Chef), just as controversial... not many complained then either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Typical irish the craic..Once we have loads of friends on facebook, drink, x factor, we can bury our heads in the sand. Lets worry about who will be the christmas no 1.

What have you done the in the past six months to address the issues in this country apart from complaining that people aren't complaining enough? I suspect nothing.

Apart from that, what is to stop someone having loads of friends on facebook, a few drinks at the weekend, watching a tv show and still addressing the current issues. In your strange surreal world does having a laugh stop people from doing anything else? You must be a very bitter, depressed person.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh noes. Are we giving the Duffy brigade the undeserved gift of discussion again?
    I don't understand how that guy is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Oh noes. Are we giving the Duffy brigade the undeserved gift of discussion again?
    I don't understand how that guy is so popular.

Joe Duffy?

jeez never really listened to him before, but he really was shown up as a **** stirrer yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It's Dermot Whelan,

you've hit the nail on the head there bai, it's a joke, an absolute joke. ;)
    I wasn't referring to my mental energy .. the whole country is talking about this video. A disproportionate amount of people's attention is being diverted down this harmless and pointless avenue of debate while Rome burns.

Yes how dare the irish youth stand up and be heard when the head in the sand brigade get up in arms about a pi$$take of today's youth culture. they should respect the fact that people want to silence them and to make it easier on them they should have the same opinion as the liveline listenership.
    Joe Duffy?

jeez never really listened to him before, but he really was shown up as a **** stirrer yesterday...

and what about his disgust at the opinion that the "national media" has contributed greatly to the negative image of limerick, after which he attempted to lead O'Dea into blaming the "dublin media". what a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think Joe Duffy was hoping to provoke headlines in today's paper screaming "O'Dea endorses drug use OMFG". That didn't work, obviously. Willie O'Dea came out of the whole thing very well (IMO anyway).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its typical paddy whackery..lets laugh at scumbags. I dont find it funny at all.
    If its typical then you can perhaps give 5 or 6 examples of other spoof comedy rap acts in Ireland who do this?

strobe wrote: »
    What have you done the in the past six months to address the issues in this country apart from complaining that people aren't complaining enough? I suspect nothing.

Apart from that, what is to stop someone having loads of friends on facebook, a few drinks at the weekend, watching a tv show and still addressing the current issues. In your strange surreal world does having a laugh stop people from doing anything else? You must be a very bitter, depressed person.
    eh.. we dont address any issues thats the point..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Joe Duffy is just a glorified sh!t stirrer and also gets paid very well to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I’m less amused than saddened and slightly scared after listening to Liveline there. I generally make an effort to surround myself with intelligent, positive people, so a good deal of the time I’m walking around happily viewing the world through a set of rose-tinted glasses.

A brief listen to Joe Duffy and his baying mob will temporarily shatter the lenses and reveal the dark undercurrent of unfathomable idiocy that exists in the world more than seven hours perusing Youtube comments ever could.

“Turning on ‘Anthony from Limerick’ who had been leading the attack on O’Dea, Blindboy said, “Someone needs to give that man a dictionary and show him the definition of the word irony.””

You can ****ing sing that. A lack of the mentioned coupled with a complete abscence of any shred of intellect is one of the most dangerous combinations I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I’m less amused than saddened and slightly scared after listening to Liveline there. I generally make an effort to surround myself with intelligent, positive people, so a good deal of the time I’m walking around happily viewing the world through a set of rose-tinted glasses.

A brief listen to Joe Duffy and his baying mob will temporarily shatter the lenses and reveal the dark undercurrent of unfathomable idiocy that exists in the world more than seven hours perusing Youtube comments ever could.

“Turning on ‘Anthony from Limerick’ who had been leading the attack on O’Dea, Blindboy said, “Someone needs to give that man a dictionary and show him the definition of the word irony.””

You can ****ing sing that. A lack of the mentioned coupled with a complete abscence of any shred of intellect is one of the most dangerous combinations I can think of.

The anthony head is some fella on the phone. The 'think of the children' 'its a child protection issue' woman was a member of FF, an ex-candidate for mayor of dublin........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Joe Duffy show couldn't have gone better for the bandits, I've never witnessed the Duffy lot getting put in their place like that because the show tries to avoid a rational conversation.

At times I was wondering if it was a set up by the RB it went so well. Even Joe seemed amused at the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

“Turning on ‘Anthony from Limerick’ who had been leading the attack on O’Dea, Blindboy said, “Someone needs to give that man a dictionary and show him the definition of the word irony.”

They should be looking up satire too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

ScumLord wrote: »
    The Joe Duffy show couldn't have gone better for the bandits, I've never witnessed the Duffy lot getting put in their place like that because the show tries to avoid a rational conversation.

At times I was wondering if it was a set up by the RB it went so well. Even Joe seemed amused at the end of it.
    Humour and irony are scissors to the paper of po-faced, self-righteous anger. Pull the piss out of twats launching an aggressive verbal assault against you and you win, every time.

Brass Eye’s Chris Morris claimed that satire is a more powerful weapon than polemic. Never a truer word spoken, imo.

Advertisement