Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber bandits {merge}

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Joe Duffy didn't quite get owned IMO but I guess they came closer than most.

The only way he could attempt to justify why the Dubliners' music is ok and the Bandits is not was by saying that the subject of Dubliners' music (alcohol) is legal but cocaine is "ILLEGAL in this country!!". Therefore people shouldn't be able to sing/talk/laugh about things that are illegal? Come off it Joe. He and his listeners have a totalitarian view of issues of morality.

To any sane person, this argument is a complete fallacy. Unfortunately his listenership just get whipped up into a bigger frenzy. And we could just laugh at them, but these people can unfortunately vote and breed.

Note how he was suddenly silent on the subject of drugs when the news came out about Gerry Ryan. This article does a good job in hinting at the hypocrisy of the likes of Joe Duffy: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1216/1224285654185.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

cornbb wrote: »

The only way he could attempt to justify why the Dubliners' music is ok and the Bandits is not was by saying that the subject of Dubliners' music (alcohol) is legal but cocaine is "ILLEGAL in this country!!". Therefore people shouldn't be able to sing/talk/laugh about things that are illegal? Come off it Joe. He and his listeners have a totalitarian view of issues of morality.

I've only listened to clips from the Joe Duffy show the other day but did anyone bring up Jonathon Swift discussing baby recipes in his writings? Exactly the sort of man Joe Duffy would appear on TV about lauding as a literary genius..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

To any sane person, this argument is a complete fallacy. Unfortunately his listenership just get whipped up into a bigger frenzy. And we could just laugh at them, but these people can unfortunately vote and breed.

Note how he was suddenly silent on the subject of drugs when the news came out about Gerry Ryan. This article does a good job in hinting at the hypocrisy of the likes of Joe Duffy: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/1216/1224285654185.html

Having listened to the show twice yesterday, I will give Joe Duffy "some" kudos....i thought he caught Dermot whelan a nice one....

Dermot: " in that case every trad song written since the 50's should be banned"

Joe: "what trad songs?"

Dermot: "emm emm emm emm emm emm emm"

f** of Dermot you've added nothing to the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

prinz wrote: »
    I've only listened to clips from the Joe Duffy show the other day but did anyone bring up Jonathon Swift discussing baby recipes in his writings? Exactly the sort of man Joe Duffy would appear on TV about lauding as a literary genius..
    i take it you have never eaten a baby then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just saw this on Facebook.

77a2c.jpg

Anyone else seeing the similarities or am I just being hysterical?

• Advertisement

Never Joe, never......... sure it's illegal Joe, and to be glorifying it like that!! :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, the other other white meat!

>_>

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

77a2c.jpg

Nah, they're different lads altogether. It's the Daily Mail, like, you couldn't trust them at all!

LMAO at the words in the article...
    The Rubberbandits say they wear plastic bags on their faces as they are hiding from RTE presenter Marty Whelan, to whom they owe money. Yesterday Whelan told the Mail, "I hadn't even heard of them, how bizarre"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Duffy's a hypocrite :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

STAY the COURSE boys, your GOLD....we've nothing else to laugh at.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Listening to the audio today for the first time and Antony sounds like a Rubber bandits plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I think the main whinging about 'Seven Drunken Nights' at the time was that it was 'immoral', rather than the fact it was about drink, wasn't it?

Anyway, I find the song funny. I don't live in a place where horses outside are common, I mean I was sent it by an English girl - I just think it's a bit of a laugh.

I never understand why people get so uppity about trivial things like silly songs. Get over yourselves ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

77a2c.jpg

Ya saw nuttin kid, right? Nuttin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I kinda wish I was from Limerick now, just so I could do that accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I think the "horse outside" song is very funny.

Catchy tune.

Im off to get wrecked on bags of glue now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I kinda wish I was from Limerick now, just so I could do that accent!

It's a great accent, alright.

Is that how someone of the lower socio-economic orders, from Limerick, sounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AntiMatter wrote: »
    It's a great accent, alright.

Is that how someone of the lower socio-economic orders, from Limerick, sounds?

If they were a cartoon character, yes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If they were a cartoon character, yes. :)

You mean they don't all wear plastic bags on their heads down there? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

AntiMatter wrote: »
    You mean they don't all wear plastic bags on their heads down there? :confused:

Oh they do alright - they just don't talk like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh they do alright - they just don't talk like that.

Ya GOWL!

Did i spell that right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

mikom wrote: »
    Listening to the audio today for the first time and Antony sounds like a Rubber bandits plant.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I hate these guys on republic of telly and every fibre of my being says i should hate this song but it's so friggin' catchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dapto1 wrote: »
    How so?

There was no real fight in him.
    It just seemed a bit contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

mikom wrote: »
    There was no real fight in him.
    It just seemed a bit contrived.

I thought this too for a while, but then.. he turns the argument back on willie o dea when he realises he cant win against blind boy. a bandits plant wouldnt have done this IMO. They'd have stayed trying to let blind boy look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hilarious! Really priceless, might need a horse instead of a car! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I have never willingly listened to Liveline before and i never will again but this one episode was worth a listen. I also cant help wishing that the car that hit Joe a while back had been moving a fair bit faster and that Anthony was fellating Joe at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

f**k yer mitsubishi i've a white dove inside, more apt?

apparently yanks r really pickin up on this as it refers to a john waynesque method of travel as opposed to a japanese motor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 KilaWhale

I just listened to the entire Liveline programme there - what unbelievable radio! Just my two cents

- Everyone has a right to like or dislike the song/video. As said, references to drugs etc within a song does not necessarily mean that the artist promotes it - each person has the right to be offended or to enjoy the lyrics and have a debate about it. It was inevitable that child protection/horrified parents were going to hop on the bandwagon. Personally, I found parts of it funny and parts of it too repetitive.

BUT

- Willie O'Dea has no part to play in the debate about the song other than to appear 'hip' among the younger generation. He is an elected representative and surely should be trying to deal with his matters relating to his own profession rather than waste time arguing with Anto on the radio?? His points in defending the song were weak and ill thought out. Blind Boy carried him at the end (some very valid points). Willie O'Dea just sounded like a bumbling, interfering, attention-grabbing eejit who felt flattered to have been mentioned in a song one time and is hanging on to the publicity for dear life...

...just my opinion:cool:

Advertisement