Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber bandits {merge}

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

marglin wrote: »
    agreed, its fu.ckin ridiculous when its after the watershed, someone needs to tell rte that we(the majority of people who watch tv after 9) are adults and do not need to be coddled.

They should be allowed to swear on the Late Late.

Sure wasn't Christy Brown the first person to say 'f*ck' on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

littlemis wrote: »
    Rubberbandits now on music forum......:)everytime i go to look at a different forum so far today......they pop up.....in one shape or another...:)Hope they make no.1....:)after all ::)Tis the season to be jolly.....good will to all men...including the Rubberbandits....:D OH and can we be in their next video....;)
    I've never seen anyone translate being off their heads on yolks into text so successfully before. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

HOLD UP! This radio call is a clear attempt at a pure and utter ambush on Limerick/Willie O' Dea. I mean sorry but why the fcuk was a former Lord Mayor from Dublin giving her two cents considering Anthony and Joe were all about it's representation of Limerick. Was Anthony even from Limerick? What morons..

My favourite quotes:

Caller - "Here we have this thing promoting vulgarity, total unnecessary, it harms people. When we have a nation generally full of good kids." What an utter numpty, you swear he lives in a Disney film or something.

Joe: Do you agree Willie about how you would hardly use this kind of language in a meeting to try and get American Industrialists?
    Willie: Well no I wouldn't exactly be showing this to American American Industrialists..
    Joe: Why not, why?

^
    I am sorry but what..? WHAT?! Why the fooking hell would he show this in any kind of business meeting! This is the most stupid question I have ever heard. My opinion of Joe Duffy has dropped immensely, why is he even on the radio. Moron. It is a joke, stop taking it seriously. /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Resi12 wrote: »
    My opinion of Joe Duffy has dropped immensely, why is he even on the radio. Moron. It is a joke, stop taking it seriously. /rant

How was it high enough for it to drop immensely??:pac:
    All it has done is solidify my opinion that the man is an idiot who panders to the idiot masses in the country.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    How was it high enough for it to drop immensely??:pac:
    All it has done is solidify my opinion that the man is an idiot who panders to the idiot masses in the country.

Well really I just thought it was a good forum at times for certain issues but this is just ridiculous.

I am still reeling from the cursing complaints? I mean, do they know what is popular in music at the moment with young people? Let's not forget Cee Lo's recent hit F*ck You. Clearly they heard Limerick and alarm bells went off like they had some need to complain and/or protect us, sorry but I do not need some no-humour numpty's pity on my city. If you weren't brainwashed by RTE in the first place you would know that, I'm fuming right now. He has a complete and utter cheek.

Somebody send Joe Duffy all the Naked Gun/Scary Movie films, he might understand satire then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

fair play to the lads its a fun song

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I've seen t-shirts on 1 site that say f**k your honda civic I've a horse outside, but they're 25 quid plus postage.
    Would do for a Kris Kringle gift, but ain't paying that kinda money - anyone seen them for less?

Resi12 wrote: »
    I am sorry but what..? WHAT?! Why the fooking hell would he show this in any kind of business meeting!

According to some hugely intelligent poster on this thread it's going to be brought up in job interviews. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

buzz55 wrote: »
    I've seen t-shirts on 1 site that say f**k your honda civic I've a horse outside, but they're 25 quid plus postage.
    Would do for a Kris Kringle gift, but ain't paying that kinda money - anyone seen them for less?

http://therubberbandits.bigcartel.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

These guys are gonna make the Fr. Ted episodes look like a day in the Dail!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

And the bridesmaid is the hottest thing I've seen possibly ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

According to some hugely intelligent poster on this thread it's going to be brought up in job interviews.

:)
    And the bridesmaid is the hottest thing I've seen possibly ever!

The poor girl works part time in a cafe in Limerick, god only knows how she's
    adjusting to the fame.

One thing that Joe Duffy was complaining about was the line
    "I don't pay no tax, **** your NCT"
    He made some stupid comment about glorifying not paying (income ?)tax
    Whereas the line obviously means Car Tax, because the guy has a horse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

okee wrote: »
    He made some stupid comment about glorifying not paying (income ?)tax
    Whereas the line obviously means Car Tax, because the guy has a horse

Ignorance is one of Joe's virtues for his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

If they were English nobody would care, apparently we just don't want to see our own people do well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

recipio wrote: »
    :mad: the video is crass, offensive and sinister. It eulogises the drug culture,
    violence, traveller culture and is degrading to women.
    I don't think this would make it on to any UK or european TV networks as they have something even RTE lack - a code of respect.
    In the end it makes Limerick the laughing stock of the nation and Willie O' Dea is a spineless opportunist.
    To those who think its 'great craic' try arguing that at your next job inteview and see your career slide down the toilet.
    I despair of this country.
    I have read children bedtimes stories from children books that was far scarier that effect children physiological viewpoint than this video does to them and you complaining about this sarcastic video!! Did you not learn irony and sarcasm in English Class and practice it in the school yard in the 13 years you spent in Primary and Secondary school?

Here is an example of sarcastic Humour that is in everyday life. I give you a simple understanding of irony and sarcasm. For the vast majority of the population in Ireland, It is simple and straight forward to understand, so you should get the message in no time.
    Men:
    1. All men are extremely busy.
    2. Although they are so busy, they still have time for women.
    3. Although they have time for women, they don't really care for them.
    4. Although they don't really care for them, they always have one around.
    5. Although they always have one around them, they always try their luck with others.
    6. Although they try their luck with others, they get really pissed off if the woman leaves them.
    7. Although the woman leaves them they still don't learn from their mistakes and still try their luck with others.

Women:
    1. The most important thing for a woman is financial security.
    2. Although this is so important, they still go out and buy expensive clothes and stuff.
    3. Although they always buy expensive clothes, they never have something to wear.
    4. Although they never have something to wear, they always dress beautifully.
    5. Although they always dress beautifully, their clothes are always just "an old rag".
    6. Although their clothes are always "just an old rag", they still expect you to compliment them.
    7. Although they expect you to compliment them, when you do, they don't believe you.
    Rubberbandits makes humour out these idiots, they do not idolise them.
    Just like the d'unbelievables out of the Irish country folk and Father Ted out of the Catholic Church.

As my Friend would say "You not Irish if you cannot understand sarcasm and irony". Father Ted and d'unbelievables routines are full of them and Father Ted was very Popular in the UK. d'unbelievables are very popular here in Ireland. The Simpsons is full of irony and sarcasm and they degrade and make fun of Homer and other fictional Characters are very popular around the world. Rubber Bandits are fictional comical characters, plain and simple.

By the way there was no mention of traveller culture in their video. Horses are not just for Travellers only. Your comments shows ignorance of the different aspect of our society around you and your ill tolerance of those around you.

If you want to see degrading of women, Have a look at most streets out on Saturday Night late and hear the comments especially young girls. Sit in Limerick Regional A&E or any A&E in any Hospital on late on Saturday night. You find that women degrade each other more than men do and you do not need people like Rubberbandits to do it. 10 years ago, My Aunt was in A&E waiting for her child to be seen to and a several women from middle class families where fighting in A&E and there was a known drug Thug from the City and she felt safer moving beside him using him as a barrier than sitting beside the middle class women in the waiting room who were verbally abusing other people pissed a hell.. You can walk in most towns and see women in Pubs using degrading profanity of their friends in full ear shot of those around them and think it is funny. So the lyrics of "Ride me like a horse" I have hear many times and much much worse from women on the Pull from highly educated with masters, middle class women, not just poorly educated no junior cert lower class. I hear young girls in Primary school here in Limerick city one night on Henry street not far from the Garda station saying "Do you wan to f*ck my hole" That is degrading coming from the kid, not a full well form adult woman in that video who say "Ride me like a horse". It is her choice in the freedom of her expression to say what she wants to her man. It is not yours or me to judge.

Where are you getting eulogises of violence from the video? There is plenty of profanity in the Video no more than there is in the real world that kids hear. Also there no reference encouragement of violence, but he does use a warning in the Lyrics, if the Car clamper tries to clamp a horse that the horse would kick him in the face. That is a reasonable warning to others not an act of violence. If you have deal with horses or any four legged animal you will likely get kick if the animal feels threatened or do anything that scares them.

I beginning to think that you are ranting rather than truly evaluated the video for what it is. Remember Video is an Audio and Visual medium in communication. If you sat and learnt from English Classes, You would have learn that Communication of any message is not just words, there is tone,volume in audio and visual aspect such as the use of eyes, hands, and other body language to using props to communicate a message that changes or gives greater impact to the meaning of words spoken or written words.
    Phrases like "Sit down there" from a concerned Doctor and "SIT DOWN THERE" from a cross Teacher and "SIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT DOOOOOOOWWWWWNNNNNNN THEEEERRRREEEE" from a roaring parent have more than one meaning in the message. The Tone in each one gives more to the message "Sit down there" even though they say the same three words. English Lecture Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

don't understand the publicity this band are getting....meaningless no brain skang nonsense being made popular partly by the intelligent & witty posters of afterhours? ....im confused :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

don't understand the publicity this band are getting....meaningless no brain skang nonsense being made popular partly by the intelligent & witty posters of afterhours? ....im confused :confused:

Congratulations on completely missing the point. Genuinely, bravo, that's impressive.

It is popular because it is a joke, a good one at that. They aren't real people, they do the scum accent good, they take the piss out of scum good. I repeat it is a joke, stop looking at it so seriously. They aren't really 'skang'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

then are all songs meaningless? Maybe they are, but they also entertain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Did you hear the fools on Joe Duffy show complaing about the lyrics? How can people be that stupid to take words so seriously from two lads with plastics bags on their heads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Tefral

recipio wrote: »
    :mad: the video is crass, offensive and sinister. It eulogises the drug culture,
    violence, traveller culture and is degrading to women.
    I don't think this would make it on to any UK or european TV networks as they have something even RTE lack - a code of respect.
    In the end it makes Limerick the laughing stock of the nation and Willie O' Dea is a spineless opportunist.
    To those who think its 'great craic' try arguing that at your next job inteview and see your career slide down the toilet.
    I despair of this country.

Your name isnt Anthony is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Anybody any idea what time they're appearing on the Late Late at? Im immersed in study at the moment :pac:, but wouldn't mind nipping home for a half hr to watch them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Nolanger wrote: »
    Did you hear the fools on Joe Duffy show complaing about the lyrics? How can people be that stupid to take words so seriously from two lads with plastics bags on their heads?

because they want to seem like their posh upper class people who have morals :rolleyes:

Hah! Brilliant!

Oh wait..... you're serious?

Now I'm confused. :confused:

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Anybody any idea what time they're appearing on the Late Late at? Im immersed in study at the moment :pac:, but wouldn't mind nipping home for a half hr to watch them
    They should be on after the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

They're on now.

They on now on the late late with SPAR plastic bags with Fur and Gold necklace with $

139896.png

139897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Jaysus Johhny Logan is terrible! Is that meant to be a Christmas song?? Its no "Horse Outside" anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Just gone no.1 on iTunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Heard it and seen the video for the first time today, brilliant.:pac:

Advertisement