Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubber bandits {merge}

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dapto1 wrote: »
    Devvo on E4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PthyDuFbk

Oh, and you have no sense of humour obviously.

Funny and sad in equal amounts.
    Really well done.

Willie O Dea is far from spineless. Name one politician who would ever come out in full support of something a little controversial. That took balls today and he has nothing to gain from it so fair play to him.

Telling the truth under oath, now that takes balls....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The video hasn't been on RTE anyway, it's on youtube.

It debuted on RTE's Republic of Telly last week. That's what it was shot for and funded by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

No, the video is funny, satirical and clever. It makes a mockery of the drug culture, violence etc. If you think anyone aspires to be like the characters portrayed in the video then you need to take a step back into the real world because theses characters aren't supposed to be glamorous.

It probably wouldn't make it onto TV, even though there's no overtly offensive content in the video, it is a comedy video after all. That's just an unfortunate aspect of the PC nanny state we live in that people like you have created. The video hasn't been on RTE anyway, it's on youtube.

Limerick isn't considered a laughing stock, it's considered a fairly wild and dangerous city by many, most of whom probably haven't even visited it. The Rubber Bandits have grown up with this attitude and seen the ridiculousness of the situation and are portraying it light heartedly. They're basically exagerating the publics perception of Limerick for laughs. That's funny. That's comedy. That's pure talent. They're about the funniest thing this country has produced for over a decade and Limerick should be proud of that. I don't think of limerick as funny. I don't think "limerick" and laugh.

Willie O Dea is far from spineless. Name one politician who would ever come out in full support of something a little controversial. That took balls today and he has nothing to gain from it so fair play to him.

I don't get your point here, it's just nonsense. Why would this topic even come up in a job interview? I think we all despair this country every now and again but it's more often the fault of people like yourself pushing ill informed draconian opinions on the rest of us who have better sense than to take a comedy act so seriously.

the voice of common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It debuted on RTE's Republic of Telly last week. That's what it was shot for and funded by.

Apologies, hadn't seen that. Still, point stands that the video isn't offensive anyway. It's just humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

ascanbe wrote: »
    Just noticed there's a horse outside in my front garden...of all the things.

That's Limerick City!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

As crazy as this sounds, I can see a big media spin tomorrow to force Willie O'Dea from whatever positions holds!

On a separate point, Joe saying to
    Blindboy "is this you?, can you talk properly or what?!!!"
    I didn't expect such sence to come out of blindboys mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

paulosham wrote: »
    That's Limerick City!

You know its name? Are you the owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

It eulogises the drug culture,
    violence, traveller culture and is degrading to women.

No, American Rap/Hip Hop artists are doing that (bar Traveller culture)
    The Rubberbandits are parodying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It could be just a big dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I think the video and song are brilliant - one of the funniest and catchiest things that that has originated from these shores that I've seen in a long time.

What I don't get about people getting offended is that this video is only currently available on Youtube so the people in question (i.e. those complaining about it) are ACTIVELY looking for and watching the video. The very thought of complaining for something that they've actively looked for is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

some_dose wrote: »
    I think the video and song are brilliant - one of the funniest and catchiest things that that has originated from these shores that I've seen in a long time.

What I don't get about people getting offended is that this video is only currently available on Youtube so the people in question (i.e. those complaining about it) are ACTIVELY looking for and watching the video. The very thought of complaining for something that they've actively looked for is ridiculous.

I think it's more likely they haven't even seen it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Or have just heard small samples played on the likes of Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

True. Well that's even more ridiculous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The thing that angered me though was when they started talking about 60cent and yer man says I've never heard of him and anyway he's not rapping about doing drugs while there's kids in the house. And there are plenty of kids living in that situation.

One of the biggest songs this year was Eminem and Rihanna "Love The Way You Lie" a song about domestic abuse, with a video that depicts domestic abuse. I know drugs are a problem in Ireland, but I'd bet you anything there's more kids living in homes where domestic violence is an issue than drugs.

I don't remember people ringing Joe up to complain about that one?

What's happened here is that RTE dared to show something that wasn't Katherine Thomas or the angeles and some eejits caught a whiff of it and went off on one. There are a million things worse than this that kids are being exposed to but because it's not on RTE it's not happening for these whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Well everybody, I suppose I'm missing something. However I don't see how the repeated use of the F word and giving the two fingers by a guy in a mask is humerous.Its just plain offensive.I especially object to the theme of a wedding being highjacked so that the singer can pick up his moll with crude sexual references and the priest issuing the FU from the altar.
    The job interview reference was my attempt to say if you defend this type of crap you would get 10 out of 10 - for juvenile immaturity and poor judgement- from me anyway.
    The country is in a bad enough state ( thanks to incompetent politicians like WO'D ) but do we have to lose our self respect also. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Anthony from Limerick on Liveline today got destroyed in his arguments. Well no arguments? He was all outrage but he had nothing to back himself up. If in doubt, rant!

Like others I expected Blind Boy to come on messing or maybe get angry and his message to get lost.
    But no, he stayed calm and collected and took apart every point from Anthony.

Not only does he have comic skills but very articulate and can argue his case.
    Fair play

And bualadh bos for Willie O'Dea, there are no or few votes in it for him going on Liveline today but he did it, defended Limerick and was willing to accept some lampooning and to get laughed at.
    You won't find many threads on boards.ie giving some praise to a FF politician. Don't mind me but he got some from others today

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

recipio wrote: »
    The job interview reference was my attempt to say if you defend this type of crap you would get 10 out of 10 - for juvenile immaturity and poor judgement- from me anyway.

Glad you won't be making up the criteria I'll be marked on when I get interviews! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 davidmichael

the rubberbandits are massive in Australia, America and Canada....oh ya and thats where all the ****in jobs are.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

magma69 wrote: »

Oh my God! Joe Duffy actually said those words. One after another; making a full sentence.
    Forget about context or if someone just recorded him saying that and used it for comic effect and to make a point.
    He spoke that sentence and, therefore, endorses the sentiments inherent within it.
    Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Mr Marston

Well everybody, I suppose I'm missing something. However I don't see how the repeated use of the F word and giving the two fingers by a guy in a mask is humerous.Its just plain offensive.I especially object to the theme of a wedding being highjacked so that the singer can pick up his moll with crude sexual references and the priest issuing the FU from the altar.
    The country is in a bad enough state ( thanks to incompetent politicians like WO'D ) but do we have to lose our self respect also. ?

Good one.

A lot of people (me included) thought you were serious the first time around. Try to make your sarcasm more obvious. Its easier for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

ah whats not to like about them! find them funny and something new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Just listened to the entire interview, I can't believe how stupid Anthony and the rest of his friends are, they need to grow the **** up, it's infuriating how they think we all need to have reality diluted so they can swallow it easier, how ****ing selfish and self righteous can you get?

**** them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

OK so you dont like it but why atack it ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    OK so you dont like it but why atack it ?

Agreed. I don't find the song itself funny, and it's a crime to call it music, but I don't see why people are so offended by it. I'm still not sure what Anthony's point was on liveline? O'Dea was on to defend Limerick but Anthony's shouting about doing drugs with kids in the house?!? What's that got to do with Limerick?

I think Anthony knew he was annoyed about something but he wasn't sure what, so he ranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Gift Grub don't need to even attempt pull the piss outta todays liveline. It was unscripted comedy gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Hope that daily mail reading anthony prick chokes on his own bile tbh.

Lighten up you thick ignorant twat.

I feel sorry for his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I loved when, Anthony etc. points were expertly pulled apart by blindboy the callers then proceeded to round on WOD for voicing his support for the song, pathetic. It was also embarrasing and very frustrating to hear some close minded arguements from the callers in but i suppose that's liveline. The callers that rang in all seemed to be parents and giving it the whole "somebody please think of the children" spiel, sure one of them supposedly worked with young kids on a daily basis and she still didn't get it. Maybe these people would be better served sitting down and having a chat with their kids about the song, maybe try and relate to their kids instead of ringing up Joe poxy Duffy on some odd crusade to protect them. I'm so glad neither of my parents are like these assholes

also

Joe Duffy was acting like a complete cretin during the interview, rather than playing the impartial host he was making very snide comments and veiled digs at the song and the Rubberbandits. All in all a prize prick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If there was a man who needs to get laid, it's Anthony in Limerick.

At first I felt sorry for you pouring out such vile, now I feel sorry for you

Advertisement