Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night on the Tiles

• 15-12-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi Guys

Have just got settled in Waterford but haven't been out on the town yet.

What bars/clubs would you recommend for when my girlies come up to stay? :D

One of the girls was in college here for 3/4 months. She said Ruby's was good for man-hunting but I hear this is closed now? I have no idea to be honest.

Thanks in advance

FSG X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Are you man hunting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Her user name says it all:rolleyes: please tell me your not one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If you want a real challenge then try man hunting in Dignity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FadeStGal

Are you man hunting?

Maybe not 'hunting' as such. Up for a bit of fun though ;)

My girls definitely will be, man-eaters the lot of them :p

FSG X

FadeStGal wrote: »
    Maybe not 'hunting' as such. Up for a bit of fun though ;)

My girls definitely will be, man-eaters the lot of them :p

FSG X

Pics or gtfo! :D

• Advertisement

deisedevil wrote: »
    Pics or gtfo! :D

I'm guessing that from your comedy posting style, Dignity might be a gay bar?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

If its men yer after I'd stay away from the city centre pubs.

Hot spots for real men would be the following:-

The Candy Store or Bradys in John's Park where you can hear Eddie Rowe belt out classics like There Goes My only Fornation, Ajapay or On a Heel

Garveys on Ballytruckle

The Yellah House on the Cork Road

Paddy Brownes in the Lisduggan shopping centre

Ryans on Barrack street (use be Cha O'Neills)

Any of these will fulfill your needs - real men - real beer bellies :D:D:D:D:D:D

jimbojazz wrote: »

The Candy Store or Bradys in John's Park where you can hear Eddie Rowe belt out classics like There Goes My only Fornation, Ajapay or On a Heel

Garveys on Ballytruckle

Any of these will fulfill your needs - real men - real beer bellies :D:D:D:D:D:D

The kinda men who know how to treat a lady, they'd even buy ya a bag a chips on the way home if ya play your cards right! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What's the age group OP?

deisedevil wrote: »
    The kinda men who know how to treat a lady, they'd even buy ya a bag a chips on the way home if ya play your cards right! ;)

and a jumbo battered sausage

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    What's the age group OP?

19-23

Beer belly guys aren't exactly what I had in mind. If you can't fit in a pair of skinny jeans, you probably aren't what my girlies are looking for.

Don't bother promising a jumbo if you're only going to deliver a cocktail jimbo rolleyes.gif

Just two more sleeps before the weekend gets going :D

FSG X

19-23

Beer belly guys aren't exactly what I had in mind. If you can't fit in a pair of skinny jeans, you probably aren't what my girlies are looking for.

Don't bother promising a jumbo if you're only going to deliver a cocktail jimbo rolleyes.gif

Just two more sleeps before the weekend gets going :D

FSG X

If you're looking for a ride I've a horse outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Could have sworn this thread was about tile shops earlier on!

Anyway, Nightlife in Waterford is currently going through (what we hope to be) a re-invention. The only nightclubs that are open at the moment are (in no particular order, lest I be accused of favouritism);

Masons - Aggressively targeting students with special nights (e.g. €3 Thirsty Tuesdays) with decent bands downstairs and a club upstairs which has recently upgraded their sound system to something that makes you feel like you're in the middle of an earth quake at times.

Harvey's - Historically expensive and for a while was one of the only places in Waterford to have a door charge. Great smoking area which also has a cocktail bar (Skittles come highly recommended). I'm really not a fan of the dancefloor though. Seems to be just stuck in the corner of the place and just looks odd.

Escape - An extension to the gastrobar that is Revolution. You can really make a night of it here with food being served until midnight (although admittedly I've never seen anyone dare order a steak at 11:55). They have some great cocktails here too and the club is just up the stairs. Have bands playing downstairs regularly too and when they have the entire place open i.e. Escape club upstairs, the Basement Bar downstairs and Revolution itself, it's very impressive with something for everyone.

The Forum - Located at the top of the town. Traditionally an Indie club on Saturday nights but has really found its feet since launching Decades in the Lounge part of it downstairs. Only open weekends unless they have bands on (e.g. Villagers last Monday night).

I've enjoyed myself on nights out where I've ended up in Dignity too. Pole conveniently located in the middle of the floor too so you can show off (or in my case, fall off) in style. Lots of themed nights there as well so if you want something different, it's a good bet. Not sure if they have a late license on weekdays.

The Kazbar and the recently opened Front Lounge (not named after the gaybar in Dublin :p ) also have late licenses on the weekend with the former trying to be all things to all people in a limited space while the latter is going after those who want to see a decent band and listen to decent music afterwards.

You'll also have The Woodman opening up this weekend, it's an old mans pub (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) but I always made sure to include it in any pub crawls I was on in town.

In the first half of next year, you'll have the new Rubys open, branded as The Foundry, and I'm guessing that the work they're doing on the pub across the road from it (formerly Muldoons) will also be nearing completion.

Finally, just as an observation and I don't mean to belittle our lovely little City here but why the move to Waterford? I'm trying to best to get out of the place!

The Toddle is the right job at the moment. You'd spend double getting drunk anywhere else.

Given your age I'd say Escape or Madons, Admmm seems to have hit it on the head.

Don't knock a beer belly to you try it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

jimbojazz wrote: »

Garveys on Ballytruckle

Why not send her to the exchange also since your sending her to pubs that ross kemp would,nt even go near to film his documentary,s hahaha

Why not send her to the exchange also since your sending her to pubs that ross kemp would,nt even go near to film his documentary,s hahaha

Ah now, your one of them that always ruins a good wind up aren't ya! :mad:

Lads ye do know this is a piss take:D

I should hope so, everyone knows there's no women on boards. :)

ziedth wrote: »
    I should hope so, everyone knows there's no women on boards. :)

ha ha nothing to do with that, Its to do with the user name:)

• Advertisement

Lads ye do know this is a piss take:D

No way boy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'd say FadeStGal and Newportwex will be hitting the town on Friday night so:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Hi Guys

Have just got settled in Waterford but haven't been out on the town yet.

What bars/clubs would you recommend for when my girlies come up to stay? :D

One of the girls was in college here for 3/4 months. She said Ruby's was good for man-hunting but I hear this is closed now? I have no idea to be honest.

Thanks in advance

FSG X

Dignity - gay bar, popular with girl night out too
    Kazbar - (across from Geoffs) large pub 3 levels of different music. usually crowded
    Geoffs- great place, good mix of people but can have some pretentious / 'im too cool for school' people in there including the bar staff
    I think rubys pub is opening up again after renovations this weekend. good live music usually
    Forum - still in city centre but will probably need taxi to and home so make it last place if you decide (will cost money, not much, as its a nightclub), good buzz down there. However, Coronas are playing in one of the rooms saturday and its sold out, there or a couple of other rooms there though.

Basically, there is a good selection around john street village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Rubys pub? You sure you're from Waterford max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

19-23
    If you can't fit in a pair of skinny jeans, you probably aren't what my girlies are looking for.

dear lord... what has the world come too?? skinny jeans? really?!!?

a real man would not be caught dead in a pair of them!! they are for little boys that spend more time in the mirror doing their hair than anything else.. if you handed them a screw driver they wouldn't know what end to hold..

this has made my Friday :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Skinny jeans and a pair of winkle pickers, its what the modern man is wearing :eek:

Rubys pub? You sure you're from Waterford max?

WHAT? of course im from here, yeah maybe not as regular onthetown as i used to. Rubys is on the corner of parnell st and john st yeah??? the downstairs bit, havent been upstairs in years. downstairs had decent old few live local bands in there?

Skinny jeans and a pair of winkle pickers, its what the modern man is wearing :eek:

Thats it exactly Art, otherwise known as a crowd of complete winkers. or maybe we 'aint down' with the trendy kids anymore:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Max Powers wrote: »
    Thats it exactly Art, otherwise known as a crowd of complete winkers. or maybe we 'aint down' with the trendy kids anymore:rolleyes:

im happy enough not being down with them :) thankfully

• Advertisement

Tonight is the night :D

Hoping for a mad weekend. Usually is when we all get together though!

Thanks to those who gave genuine advice. Really appreciate it. I think I managed to figure out which posts were 'wacky' responses :p

Curious as to whether there's any place that's a bit 'exclusive'? Thinking along the lines of a VIP type area over a dance floor maybe? Don't mean to be snobby or anything by the way.

Oh, and Heathen... :rolleyes:

A modern man keeps up with fashion and can wear whatever is 'in' and be comfortable with it. If a 'real man' is one of those bearded labourers who like to show off their disgusting arse crack, you are welcome to them. You should probably run along and have the dinner ready for your 'real man' anyway honey. Surprised he allows you to use the internet to be honest!

FSG X

Advertisement