Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional or National Cold Spell Threads?? (Poll closes at midnight/ Please Vote)

Options
  • 15-12-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭

Which would you prefer?

Poll closes at midnight.

Which would you prefer? 275 votes

Regional Threads
    0% 0 votes
    National Thread
    33% 92 votes
    Other (Please mention)
    66% 183 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Agree completely with the above as I dont find it exciting anymore we are all over the place and its time consuming changing over to the other threads, I am missing charts now and all the latest gossip from around the Country.

PLEASE MODS CHANGE BACK TO THE WAY WE WERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

there is also a national thread, most of the experts are posting there. MT said this morning that he would be putting all his updates in the daily forecast thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

I disagree.

I thought it was nearly impossible to find any meaningful info from the posters who know what their talking about in amongst all the chitchat, banter and numerous "when will it snow in my back garden" posts.

Yeah but you are going to find that happening as well on the other threads if it snows in all of the other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Well then go back to one thread but ban everyone from posting in it apart from the resident experts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I personally don't like the idea of regional threads but it was getting far too messy, and i think more people want regional threads than don't.

We will reconsider it for the next spell (if we get another one!) but for the moment we are giving this a shot.

Feel free to keep commenting below though.

ro_chez wrote: »
    Well then go back to one thread but ban everyone from posting in it apart from the resident experts!

What about a thread for National chit chat about the weather and as you say one for experts posting what the charts are showing etc with non expert guys being banned from posting. Let the experts register so only they could post and the we will chat about it on the other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

I feel that the way it was set up yesterday was ideal. 1 thread for forcasts and charts, strictly no chit chat and another for discussion of the charts and forcasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Yes i think we need a National Chit chat thread and a separate proper charts/ discussion thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Completely agree with the OP.

I reckon there should be two threads, as previously - 1 on charts/forecast/analysis, and the other for chat about the oncoming cold spell.

Perhaps a mod warning should be to include your current location in your post if you are just saying "graupel now" or something similar.

Also, where is the Isle of Man thread??? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Regional threads are the way forward, it was ridiclous in the last cold spell by the time you actually wrote and posted something it would appear a page back. By the time it actually starts snowing it will be mayhem on here. Look at the province thread that you are from and dont worry about the rest.
    If you want information go to the National thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Agree. Multi threads are a mess. I'm from Athlone and I have to keep an eye on all three wandering threads :/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

I need a UK thread, and an Athlone/Roscommon one to keep an eye on family lol

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Two threads:

One for the experts to discuss the charts etc.

One for general chit chat and "any chance of.."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great idea to split them imo. Whilst i'm interested in what's happening around the country my main concern is with what's going to happen in my area(ie. Dublin). The last couple of weeks have been very difficult trying to wade through pages upon pages of posts posted while i've been in work and trying to find out proper information amidst the all the extra posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Whilst I agree with Weathercheck that the previous system got a little messy- I would still prefer to have two threads:

• One for educated forecasts and chart analysis
    • One for general chat and reports of snow
    Ireland is not that big and I have an interest in knowing what the rest of the country is getting and also, depending on the wind direction, what the north gets, might be what we (Wicklow) will get a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Best to leave one for the experts to discuss whats going to happen - national.
    Then regional threads for general chit-chat about how the cat went very close to the fire the night before or how the roads are impassable in some places etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Agree with the OP. Don't like these regional threads. Don't understand what the problem was ? The main threads was full of everything and if you needed an update the model threads had most of the updates and serious stuff.

Also it seems to me far more people preferred it the old way.

Add a poll to the OP ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

also agree with OP. Too much of a chance of missing something in the other threads. i know we can dip in and out but i really think dipping in and out of 4 threads constantly is too much. Experts are posting randomly in each of the threads, and their contributions can often be valid for all regions as showers/fronts move through the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

I agree the old way was much better :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just paid a visit to the charts thread and already they are posting stuff that is not about charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just paid a visit to the charts thread and already they are posting stuff that is not about charts.

There is so much important and useful information being lost in threads since the snow in November. Even MT's weather forecast has random chit chat in it which dilutes one of the best threads here.
    There are a number of expertise posters here that I notice have stopped posting because of the clutter and those specific contributors & posters were always my reason to view these pages as they knew what they were speaking about. Alas they cant be seen or heard because of the constant requests for details on snow in specific locations or even travel arrangements that cant be decided without the say so of fellow posters.
    I dont think you will satisfy the need of everyone here but the core benefits that the regular contributors / experts made are being lost and that has been the single biggest problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No. Go away. Last week was painful. "Oh we're getting a dumping right here right now." "WHERE CHARLIE?" "Could people please name the area where it is snowing in their post blah blah blah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

L.O.F.T wrote: »
    There is so much important and useful information being lost in threads since the snow in November. Even MT's weather forecast has random chit chat in it which dilutes one of the best threads here.
    There are a number of expertise posters here that I notice have stopped posting because of the clutter and those specific contributors & posters were always my reason to view these pages as they knew what they were speaking about. Alas they cant be seen or heard because of the constant requests for details on snow in specific locations or even travel arrangements that cant be decided without the say so of fellow posters.
    I dont think you will satisfy the need of everyone here but the core benefits that the regular contributors / experts made are being lost and that has been the single biggest problem.

we definetly need an experts only thread that only experts can contribute to. I agree - I really felt the experts were lost in the last thundersnow series. but i guess it is difficult to restrict to experts...many would probably claim to be experts and are not.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The problem with the two thread idea is that the one for the 'experts' always ends up the same as the other one, we did tha last time and non regulars just come on, click on the first thread they see and ask if it'll snow wherever they are. Someone will make a good detailed post and within seconds theres a new page so everyone misses it.

At least with the regional threadds hopefully everyone will keep to their own area. Its not perfect but most of the regulars didnt even bother posting last time around it got so bad so its worth a try at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Sorry I just hate the idea of lots of threads about the same subject.

I have to go into each one of them to see whats going on.

In the end I just stopped reading them.

Please go back to a single thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I'm not sure if this is at all possible but I'd be happy to let people have their regional threads if there was a single thread where every post in the regional and national was duplicated so I could read them all in one place. It would be just for show, it doesn't even need to be possible to post in this new thread. Just a way to read everything at once without being all over the place.
    Btw I'm not talking about people posting twice, moreso that there is a way to combine threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Perhaps add a poll OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Hate this idea, stupid stupid stupid!
    You have just ruined a good board, well done!
    Ireland isnt that big guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Can we please have one discussion thread and one forecasting thread, it worked perfectly last time and the regionals will just split up all the info! :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement